Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Ted Nugent on Anthony Bourdain's Show « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ted seems like a well informed musician hip to all the issues, yet his craze for arms scares me a tad bit. Anyone cath the show? he was referred to as the "Motor City Madman"

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3239
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is the Motor City madman. But he needs to zip it and play his guitar. There is something hackneyed about a psycho-madman rock-and-roller with a social message. Seriously, one or the other.

Nothing wrong with guns, we have a people problem.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing his spot will have something to do with wild game

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5666
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was this the episode where Bourdain was traveling the southwest to find oddball places and he had a barbecue at Nugent's Texas compound?
If so, it's an older episode. I can't stand Nugent anymore. He's a caricature.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nugent is the Feiger of the Republican party. A person who has no business holding elected office but is delusional enough to think he should and the money to burn to run.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2775
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and a predator of younger girls.

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm guessing his spot will have something to do with wild game"

Yes it did

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That episode was from lat last year, i think. Actually I love No Reservations, but that episode about the SW was kinda disappointing. Although it was cool to see Anthony rocking on the M-60.
He was in Detroit a couple weeks ago for an episode that I believe will air later this year. Maybe I missed a thread on it...

Cushkid
Username: Cushkid

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is doing a series on the rust belt cities, He ate at Polonia in Hamtramck. He surrounded himself with laid off workers from the area, one of which was my father.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2566
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When making a comment, that 14-year-old-junior-high-boy smirking grin on Ted's face might have worked for him 30 years ago, but now that he is an old man, it's just pathetic.

Unfortunately, Ted Nugent never has had an unuttered thought. When Bourdain asked Nugent what he would do if Democrats won the White House, Ted put on his smirk and said, "A target-rich environment". Hopefully that little piece of stupidity won him a visit by the Secret Service.

Mickeymac
Username: Mickeymac

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont like his music(although I do like the Lourds and the Amboy Dukes though). As far as his views I kinda agree with a lot of what Ted has to say. I dont agree with his views about welfare reform, but thats just me.

The thing I admire most about Ted is whenever he mentioned music or Detroit he always acknowledges the Funk Brothers. How can you dislike him for that?

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 464
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree with every choice Ted makes or has made in his life. He is a walking caricature of the "angry white male", the ill-educated, poorly mannered ilk, the lowest common denominator who should not encourage the same in the gullible public. Texas deserves the boob right along with Shrub and Kwame. Then push Texas off into the gulf and let it secede along with Palin's Alaska.

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, I could see how a man that is anti-drug, family oriented, rich, hunts and eats what he kills, has the stamina of a man half his age, lives a closer to nature life than anyone on this forum, has a grasp on national and global events, and says what he means and means what he says would "scare people" on this forum.....

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't agree with him on some of his conservative issues, but I like to drink beer and listen to stranglehold!

Ongowwah

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classicyesfan quote:
I disagree with every choice Ted makes or has made in his life. He is a walking caricature of the "angry white male", the ill-educated, poorly mannered ilk,".....

yes, I could easily see how these choices would turn you against him; He is a man that is anti-drug, family oriented, rich, hunts and eats what he kills, has the stamina of a man half his age, lives a closer to a naturalistic life than anyone on this forum, has a grasp on national and global events, and says what he means and means what he says. yeah, I could see how you would disagree with that!.....

Solarflare

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we heard you the first time, sheesh

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4957
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ongowwah-You forgot chickenhawk draft dodger and underage groupie shagger on Ted's list of "achievements".

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 460
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's an enigma, like Eminem, Kid Rock, Iggy and Jack White. We produce them and while I don't like his frame of mind I respect his interesting authenticity.

Ongowwah

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam quote: Ongowwah-You forgot chickenhawk draft dodger and underage groupie shagger on Ted's list of "achievements".

Pam, no, the point I was making was Classisyesfan stating he disagreed with EVERY CHOICE Ted made. Pay attention.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4960
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pam, no, the point I was making was Classisyesfan stating he disagreed with EVERY CHOICE Ted made. Pay attention.

The point I was making is that Ted is an asshole. Pay attention.

Jcole

Post Number: 5677
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam, agreed. Any guy that would become the legal guardian to an underage girl so he could screw her is a pig and deserves to be in jail. The parents that signed the papers deserve to be shot.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 465
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ongowwah, I wonder if his wife felt Ted was "family-oriented" while he screwed underage teen girls? I would tend to think most people considered him a pedophile. I agree with you about his "grasp of national and global events", and it's the same "grasp" held by Shrub and the evil Cheney. Warmongers all. I think Ted has sexual problems because he must constantly bring his guns on stage. Or, is that to satisfy the insecurity of the typical idiotic Dittoheads of his audience? Yes, that's a very "naturalistic" existence!

And, yes, you are correct to point out that "ALL" is an exaggeration. I heartily agree with his decision to split from Michigan. Texans deserves him.

Stamina is not a "choice". I have the same stamina at nearly the same age but I do not choose it. I attain it by NOT eating animal MEATS.

"Anti-drug" maybe is not a good stance for him. He actually could use some anti-psychotic medicines.

Is "rich" a choice? Many of us are also attaining wealth but in ways that do not encourage the lowest common denominator warmongering, fearmongering, hatred among the people. I'd rather NOT have his money if I had to be a hypocrite to get it.

I do agree that it is a choice to "say what you mean and mean what you say". That's sort of a trite expression but he's hardly the only one who has made or makes that choice in life. I am doing so right now.

He's a paranoid, right-wingnut, gun-toting, warmongering, poor educated, ill-mannered fool. And I mean that!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3059
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must join in.
I would like to come up with a personalized, more eloquent way of saying it, but I don't think I can improve on Pam's "Ted is an asshole."

Solarflare

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care for his politics but the man is a mean guitar player, and while I only watched his show once it was hilarious to see him paintball-hunting urban hipsters. I'd pay good money to do that.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3060
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the meanness directed at his guitar, or at his audience?

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ted is tacky. Nuff said. And yes, I saw him on No Reservations.

Mickeymac
Username: Mickeymac

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Amboy Dukes tune "Journey To The Center of the Mind" is still a bad asssssssssssssss jam regardless of Ted. Everytime I hear it, I turn it up. Better than anything the MC5 were doing at the time.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 654
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Or, is that to satisfy the insecurity of the typical idiotic Dittoheads of his audience? "

Actually dittoheads are different.They are more "republican." As in, organized political party to the right of center. More professional, less abrasive.
The Nuge is a bit more of an independent radical right-winger. Actual Republicans are closer to mainstream america, with a few zealots thrown in. Nugent is more like the rebellious "militia" kind that even people sharing some of his views find difficult and unreasonable. I would consider him to be walking the trail toward Michael Savage territory.
I haven't figured out if all the stuff he says is how he really feels, or he just puts on a convincing act.

Ongowwah

Post Number: 253
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classicyesfan quote: Shrub and the evil Cheney. Warmongers all. typical idiotic Dittoheads
Texans deserves him.
"Anti-drug" maybe is not a good stance for him. He actually could use some anti-psychotic medicines. warmongering, fearmongering, hatred among the people.
He's a paranoid, right-wingnut, gun-toting, warmongering, poor educated, ill-mannered fool. And I mean that!

Ongowwah: You're preaching about fearmongering and hatred? Did you even read what you posted?Just more liberal do as I say, not as I do talk. Sounds like you're the one with issues, not Ted.

Jcole

Post Number: 5683
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Ted has issues. He's a pedophile. That says it all.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 534
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though deadly Tedley is a pretty crappy guitarist, he has a good taste in music, so when he started that radio station "Dah Bear", it was funny because Doug Podell got all kinds of pissed off and WRIF stopped playing any Ted or even saying his name... and then everyone got all pissed off because Dah Bears signal strength was spotty at best. And after the station folded, ol' Deadly busted it to Texas. He one scary daddy!

Mopardan
Username: Mopardan

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'all can have him back anytime. Unfortunately there are too many rednecks here who think he's a god. He's okay as a musician/singer but his views are beyond radical of either end of the spectrum.
Try dealing with anyone like him who HAS to be "on" all the time. You just can't say "Hey, how ya doing?" without them going into a diatribe & forcing their opinion on you. And you know what they say about opinions.

Ongowwah

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores:Though deadly Tedley is a pretty crappy guitarist, he has a good taste in music, so when he started that radio station "Dah Bear", it was funny because Doug Podell got all kinds of pissed off and WRIF stopped playing any Ted or even saying his name...

Doug Podell is a flamin lib, ever hear the tripe from NPR on WCSX early on Sunday mornings? That's his baby. I called in once and shut up the little weasel baby sitting the controls, he finally stammered, and said well all you can do is contact Doug Podell, he's the manager of this segment.

Jcole

Post Number: 5690
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice of you to jump all over some poor guy just trying to make a living. Why didn't you send a letter to management, or was that too time consuming for you?

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 535
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, this aint no Podell bashin' arena, and I retract the "crappy guitarist" characterization. Ted is a DECENT guitarist and quite a showman, it's his life and he seems to be enjoying it over a long stretch of time, so... whatever, more power to 'im.

Just wish we (Michigan) could've gotten Billy Gibbons for a trade. Have mercy.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 466
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ongowwah: You're preaching about fearmongering and hatred? Did you even read what you posted?Just more liberal do as I say, not as I do talk. Sounds like you're the one with issues, not Ted."

classicyesfan: I am not stirring up fear among the people that we are in immediate danger of "terrorist" attacks, as Cheney is doing. As Ted does continually, as Shrub has done repeatedly....I have not told anyone to do what I say not what I do. I recommend that you do as I do. I am no hypocritcal panderer to the lowest denominator. And, yes, since I put thought in my post, and wrote my post, I read my post! I don't see any great revelation in your post however. It appears to me though that you "have issues" and maybe some anger management training might help you reduce your tendency towards personal attacks on me.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3413
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know conservative musicians who's exceptional ability allows me to better tolerate their views.

Based on his musical talent, Ted would have vanished into the obscurity of an occasional VH-1 "Where are they Now?" episode, had he not rebranded himself as gun-waving, polarizing twit.

He's not good enough at his original occupation to be allowed a public opinion about anything.
Sorry.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 901
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detyes might have been better off if I,d listened to Ted,s antidrug/drinking/smoking message. But as a "Parent" now I,d hide my girls from him, while trying to get some free ammo or guitar lessons outta him.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 656
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 4:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I know conservative musicians who's exceptional ability allows me to better tolerate their views."

How about some examples? The only conservative musicians I'm aware of are Nugent (if you can call him that-"right wing militant might be more accurate) and maybe a few country singers.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3684
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Ted, as a left leaning Independent. But what I'm hearing is hearsay, from Courtney Love, of all people, who does not seem to be the best spokesperson of anything .

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ted and his lifestyle represents what the future of Detroit will be, every citizen armed to the teeth, instead of hunting animals for food, the future citizens of Detroit will hunt and kill each other, for drugs, sunglasses, tennis shoes and cars.
Dont bitch about Teds gun waiving, comrads. The future is now.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 705
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ted and his lifestyle represents what the future of Detroit will be

I sure hope not. There are a lot of Detroiters that won't look good in loin cloths.

Speaking of Ted, does anyone else remember the Ted Nugent shrine at the now-closed Nippon Kai sushi joint in Clawson?

Miss_d_meanor
Username: Miss_d_meanor

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A true spokesman for the paranoid, redneck, right-wing illiterati.

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 388
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I played some rock n roll around Detroit back in the early 70s in a band called Stonefront. We opened for Ted Nugent and Bob Seeger on a short tour once. My amp blew up onstage and I didn't have a backup. Panicked roadies asked Nugent if I could borrow one of his amps. Basically told us if we didn't have $100 cash right then.....screw off. Bob Seger couldn't lend me an amp fast enough.

Hey Bigb23 & Reddog289.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.