Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » First National Building To Become Non-Profit Mecca « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link: http://tinyurl.com/co3k63

Excerpt:

'The Downtown Collection is aggressively searching for Non Profits interested in basing themselves in Downtown Detroit.

We have begun a campaign to develop our First National Building into a Non Profit Mecca.

With affordable rates, flexible leasing and space for all size Non Profits we hope to develop the building into a community that is centralized in Detroit.
'

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing against non-profits, but historically that's a sign that the property is desperate for tenants.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4071
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, just so you know, here is the formatting page that tells you how to post links and such. You don't have to use tinyurl.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 691
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know that a building is desperate for tenants when it starts posting on Craigslist.

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building already has non-profits, ask any tenant who has been paying rent. These landlords don't care if you are making a profit just that you pay the rent. I ran a non profit for 4 years before I decided that, the rent no matter how small, just was not worth it.
I will say that if these buildings were run as they were 30-50 years ago we would not have the vacancy problems that we have. The First National along with its sister The Penobscot are by far two of the worst run buildings in Downtown, ask any tenant or better yet ask a former tenant why they left.......

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 704
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK...why did you leave?

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 580
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Completely agree Gsgeorge.

Bagman

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SALES, SALES, SALES or lack there of.

Which is why Borders is leaving, Starbucks already gone, and every other independent/ family-run small business is also gone.

Ask Lafayette or American Coney Island how many dogs they must sell to stay open. Even they admit there is a limit to how little one can take in and keep the doors open. Don't forget that the family run small business can stop taking money for salaries and only take what is needed to survive, Corporations MUST pay the help and they don't have pay-less paydays like I did for 4 years.
The only fix is more people, not a few thousand either, Downtown needs numbers like back in the '80s when there were another 100,000 people at noon in Downtown than there are today.

If you were there you'd remember, if not, then you have no idea.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 2590
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The only fix is more people, not a few thousand either, Downtown needs numbers like back in the '80s when there were another 100,000 people at noon in Downtown than there are today.

Bagman,

I am curious, do you still live in the city?

Bagman

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd and Willis, in the heart of the Cass Corridor.

Unfortunately there is a real VALUE issue here. You either have such a great deal on where you live you overlook what is lacking or you are clueless and don't get that when you pay $700-$1000 a month rent you should not have to leave the city to buy the staples life requires......

You should see the look on peoples face when I rave about what I love about the city, BUSES (you have not lived until you spent time riding a DOT coach) EASTERN MARKET (where else can you watch your food get slaughtered, or buy food from a black man that he grew himself?), TIGER BASEBALL (of course you do have to put up with the suburbanites at the ball park) to name a few.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You really don't have to leave nowadays, Bagman. Just a few years ago, I'd say you'd be right.

As far "staples," what is it that Eastern Market, Zaccaro's, University, Avalon, CVS, and Delux or Honest John's do not provide (I assume alcohol as a staple)?

Maybe the occasional Target/Costco run. But you'd have to get in your car and drive a bit for those even if you lived in the suburbs.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.