Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » No more State Fair funding?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granholm is looking to cut, cut, cut in her State of the State tonight, including the State Fair.
http://www.wwj.com/Gov-To-Prop ose-Cutting-State-Fair/3768998

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5642
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Granholm is looking to cut, cut, cut in her State of the State tonight

What else is she supposed to do, do, do?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The speech is Tuesday night, not tonight.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attendance has dropped quite a bit, and it is a luxury. If Arts funding and other enrichment entitlements can be cut, so can the fair. The fair is only a shadow of what it used to be.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 934
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is a shame: cut the "health care for life" for the state congress who only serve one-six terms, this would be way cheaper than the deficit the State Fair Runs. Of Course attendance is down: it is also down at the Red Wings, Lions,Tigers, and everything else. We are in a recession, that is what happens. At least the Fair is affordable compared to professional sports.

The State Fair is important for inner-city kids who really would not get a chance to experience rural life otherwise. Not to mention the "Miracle of Life" exhibit is wonderful for kids.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a lot of tradition with the State Fair, but times have changed. We are broke. There will be more important things, like food, shelter, and medical care that need to be addressed. I give the Governor credit for her attempts to minimize the pain for those who are most vulnerable, while trying to maintain the budget. We must learn to admit that we cannot afford what we had in the past, and we need a responsible legislature to cease political gamesmanship.
One suggestion: Do we really need a bicameral State government? Could money be saved by reducing it to one house, with fewer members?

Kenp

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think cutting of 10 of the 16 state departments is a bigger story. We should have been cutting goverment here for the last 2 years. We are way ahead of the rest of the country in economic distress.
Hopefully the State Fair can survive on private funding, though good luck finding any now.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Honda and Walmart will kick in some money for private funding to these events instead of the usual Ford and Kmart/Kresge.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Kenp-the State should have been cutting prior to now.

Has anyone else noticed the replacement of signs along the interstate? It is in evidence right now on the ramps from and to I-696 and I-75. Merge and other signs are replaced/moved about 1-2 feet apart from their current positions.

Now, I can understand that this is something that must be done for maintenance purposes, but in my household when things get tight, cuts are made and/or deferred.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 537
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's do the math.....potential shortfall of 1.6Billion....State fair savings of (approx) 1MM per year.....1.6Billion is 1,600 X 1 Million....They have some MAJOR cutting to do...

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 851
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll tell you what I think she should do, do, do ....leave, leave, leave. Take a job in DC, DC, DC, or the private sector, private sector, private sector. Just go, go go. She's not even a fighter. Granholm could easily pass for a closet conservative(a leftish neo-con ha, ha).

Novine

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think cutting of 10 of the 16 state departments is a bigger story."

That's semantics. They're not going to cut 10 departments. They may consolidate 10 departments but most of those employees will still be around after the departments are reduced (if that even happens).

State government needs to continue to adjust to meet the current revenues. But downsizing state government is going to do nothing to help our current economic state. Are people going to buy more cars because the state government shrunk? Probably not including any state employees who will be out on the street. There may even be an argument that some of these cuts are hurting our recovery efforts. The less we invest in our state, the less we get back.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, if consolidation of departments is such a great way to reduce redundancies and cut costs, why didn't we do it during the last budget crisis?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1808
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure hope Granholm has gotten herself some progressive lenses. That Carl Levin look she had going during the Kwamie hearings just didn't give her justice.

Kenp

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"State government needs to continue to adjust to meet the current revenues."

Could you please enlighten us. And you cant say a new service tax.

Novine

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the money isn't coming in, you're going to have to reduce in size or reduce the services you provide.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6481
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some more numbers in today's Detroit News: State Fair in jeopardy.
quote:

Gov. Jennifer Granholm wants to eliminate state funding for the 160-year-old Michigan State Fair, slash elected officials' pay by 10 percent and slim down state government from 18 departments to eight....

The number of departments under the governor's purview would be cut from 16 to six over the long term, according to her reform plan, but she wouldn't touch the constitutionally protected attorney general's office and the secretary of state office.

There are some more numbers in the sidebar but they didn't label the columns.

Wintersmommy
Username: Wintersmommy

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this breaks my heart..i love the fair and i look forward to it every year..

Noggin
Username: Noggin

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its John Engler's fault!

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again Michigan a decade late to the party because government here is not in the business of benefiting the taxpayers.

Cutting the state fair is just a reason to incite fear among the sheep that taxes need to be raised again.

Of course we all know what its going to happen. Nothing will happen until the stimulus plan goes through and Jenny will once again rob Peter to pay Paul and balance the budget using fuzzy math. While essential services and needs get pushed back again. Then we will hear how great she is for not cutting any or very few jobs while eliminating a huge deficit.

(Message edited by _sj_ on February 02, 2009)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4942
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fair has not been canceled yet.

quote:

State Fair General Manager Steven Jenkins got the news Saturday night.

"I'm super shocked. I'm disappointed. I'm hoping I can work with the governor, the Legislature and the general public to explore options to somehow continue this 160-year tradition," Jenkins said. "It may not be within state government, but I want to work so Michigan citizens are not deprived of this tradition."

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cutting HAL is going to screw the cultural and historical "heritage" of this state.

I know that they are heavy regarding time-served employees in vital areas, but I'm sure they could find some way to "encourage" these people to move on so that cheaper, contemporary folks can seat those areas.

Pam

Post Number: 4943
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'll tell you what I think she should do, do, do ....leave, leave, leave. Take a job in DC, DC, DC, or the private sector, private sector, private sector. Just go, go go. She's not even a fighter. Granholm could easily pass for a closet conservative(a leftish neo-con ha, ha).

Yes, that will help the state. Is someone waiting in the wings to take over as Gov. that has some kind of miracle cure?

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said Cinderpath.
Health care for life, what the hell is that about.
Whenever I hear about that I just get so pissed at OUR elected getting these great benefits that the normal citizen could only dream of. Something has to change. Whenever there is something to cut it is programs/zoo/whatever that the citizens use.
They should pay for their own Health Care. Or at least not receive it for life. Let them go on medicade when they get old. Just like the rest of us will have too someday.

We need a revolution.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The State of Michigan sucked the State fair dry in the 50's, 60's and 70's when the fair made money and nothing was invested back. The original and older buildings like the horse and cattle area was not updated and even made up to date according to the fire code of the 1960's.

Restrooms that were built in the 30's and after WW11 were allowed to rot. The entire complex went down under Gov. Williams, Romney, Milliken, Blanchard and Engler.

Events that were at the fairgrounds, sportmans shows, hot rod meets, Agricultural and botanical shows, major horse shows and rodeos, were driven out by dirty condirions, high prices and an inept management. The final straw was when the Shrine Circus pulled out because The Neatherland company who Hertel gave control over the Fairgrounds gave them unreal terms, while all the while trying to build a so-called botique race track. They promised all kind of theaters, etc.

Read about the background of "THE SHOPS AT GATEWAY. Another tax payer rip off.

On another thought This Hertel is the same one who tried to sell a race track to Bill Davidson at the fairgrounds, Davidson pulled out. Tried to float a track, golf dome, big drive in with some investment group with no money.

Now he is involved in rapid transit. I hope his track record on this project then his past endeavors.

If his results are better maybe he can afford a better hairpiece.

Goodness, this is the first time I have ever this upset on this site about the Fairgrounds.
These inept people are trying to take away the fun kids can get in this economic down turn.

They did not even shut down the Fair totally during the great depression.

Bobl

Post Number: 449
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pussygirl313, have you met Baselinepunk?

Talkin' revolution here......

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 948
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wont miss it...The State fair was an absolute dump of a fair.

Pgirl - i'm with you. Who will fire the first shot?

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$1.6 billion in a state with 10 million people is only $160/person. That would be a very small tax hike, especially if it is focused on the rich, and it would be better than cutting government services.

Of course, the best solution is to run a budget deficit this year and pay back the debt with surpluses when the economy recovers and government revenue rises (Keynes 101), but unfortunately that is disallowed by the state Constituion

Novine

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe these numbers will get people in Lansing serious about prison reform. When we spend more on prisons that higher education, something is seriously wrong with our priorities.

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I were governor, I'd release all nonviolent offenders from Michigan's prisons.

Pam

Post Number: 4944
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wont miss it...The State fair was an absolute dump of a fair.

What are you basing that comment on? I went last year and many other times since I was a kid and it seemed fine to me. Yes, a lot of the buildings are aging but they looked maintained. They had people on hand cleaning bathrooms and picking up trash. We have the typical things all fairs have- farm stuff, rides, crafts, live music, junk for sale, a butter cow. What more do you want?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6602
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me the State Fair is what it is, It's still a great cultural gem. It hasn't really changed that much has it? It still has great concerts for free, the usual array of fair food, the rides, the farm exhibits, and all of the usual hoopla associated with the State Fair, right?

I still respect its fine tradition and its attempts to draw more people in every year with better shows and bigger hoopla. I still think it's great for families to go see these sorts of things. Where else does an inner city kid, or for that matter- some suburban kids get to see live farm animals up close? The Michigan State Fair is still a grand tradition that a lot of families go to every year.

What's changed is some of us. We've grown up. Our expectations and/ or our entertainment desires have changed. Unless you have young kids or just a huge fan of the Fair, why would one go to it any more? In this day and age of concerts galore, stage shows, travel and just our usual hectic adult lives- who's got the time to go to the State Fair? It's not exactly a chic date place to take someone but it's still a premiere attraction for families I'd like to think.

I won't disparage the Fair. I think it's a great institution but it's just not a destination for me to go spend my hard earned money on. In this harsh economy, if I do have a some disposable cash for entertainment I'm much much more pickier as to what events I go to (heck, I've even cut back on going to hockey games to which I love going to). It's a matter of funds and my personal demographic changing.

Hopefully there will be a way to save it somehow. I still have fond memories of the Fair and hope that other people will get to enjoy it as well.

Kenp

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"$1.6 billion in a state with 10 million people is only $160/person. That would be a very small tax hike, especially if it is focused on the rich, and it would be better than cutting government services."

We have lost a lot of people, and the ones that are left are hanging by a thread. You actually want to keep government the same size? And to do this put additional taxes on us. Doesnt make any sense to me.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6603
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp also brings up another great point in regards to the sheer number of people we still have in the area. With fewer people here in the area, I'm sure the State Fair also has a tougher time trying to attract more people to it.

They're competing for the same entertainment dollar that everyone else is now. Again, I hope the powers-that-be can save this tradition for future generations to enjoy.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4449
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY GRANHOLM!

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

$1.6 billion in a state with 10 million people is only $160/person. That would be a very small tax hike, especially if it is focused on the rich, and it would be better than cutting government services.

There are not 10 million working, tax paying people in Michigan for one. Another $160 on top of the raise the AFL-CIO wants me to pay so their workers don't have to share in the downturn. My house taxes went up even though the value of houses is dropping. When does it end.

That money doesn't pay for services, it pays for payroll. Services have been getting cut for years. Expenses are growing and outpacing revenues, even in good economic times this can not continue. Didn't the Free Press just show that revenues have increased since Engler left office.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The increases you are citing have not risen with the cost of inflation and medical costs. When operational costs exceed revenue -- deficit. The State government is compelled to run a balanced budget per a fairly recent (Engler administration) amendment to the State Constitution, or else boo coo bad things happen.

The extra tax money to fund the Fair simply unreasonable for people who live in areas with high property tax, such as Ferndale. While we do get our monies worth (not only in services, but also by being solvent), for me to pay an additional 160 per year on top of my high taxes is just out of the question.

Novine

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My house taxes went up even though the value of houses is dropping. When does it end."

Were you complaining all those years when your home value increased beyond the rate of your taxable value and you enjoyed the benefit of not having to pay the difference in taxes? Did you complain when your new neighbor had to pay the post pop-up taxes when their assessment was adjusted up? You paid less while others had to pay more. What is the problem?

(Message edited by Novine on February 03, 2009)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2172
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An aerial Kodachrome view of the Michigan State Fair midway, Sept. 6, 1960.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 720
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the State of Michigan that shut down the SMART buses in Livonia.

This is a fact that is proved in the Trainman's... save the. website in DETROIT LINKS.

Our state will keep on slashing funding for everything we pay for as long as we keep on voting in higher local taxes.

Coming Soon !!!!! NEW local sales tax on fast food for SMART and DDOT.

YES, YES, YES, YEAH!!! I'm looking forward to see this new tax so I can have SMART come back to Livonia. I drive a car but I want mass transit because it is like police and fire protection. It should be there for those who need it in my opinion.

I just hope the hard working taxpayers get the public mass transit that they deserve.

So, what do you think of paying a local sales tax? Maybe this same tax can bring back the state fair too?

Bobl

Post Number: 471
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: "You know, if consolidation of departments is such a great way to reduce redundancies and cut costs, why didn't we do it during the last budget crisis?"
Answer:
Because the democrats were afraid of upsetting labor, and the republicans decided to try to eliminate the single business tax, without any replacement for it or specific cuts to justify it, in their attempt to embarrass Granholm, who refused to let their tactic hurt the most vulnerable citizens.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

1.6 billion in a state with 10 million people is only $160/person. That would be a very small tax hike, especially if it is focused on the rich,

Everyone who's rich, raise your hands.
Oop - only looks like 100 or so...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.