Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Hmmmm....interesting.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3585
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am surprised no one posted this yet...

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20090201/FREE/902020339

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 494
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, cool! Great to hear about both opportunities really working hard to take hold in the region. I'm really intrigued by this 23rd Street Studios - looking at the aerial map, I see the large industrial complex referenced just south of the retail block along Michigan Ave. I really hope they can restore those buildings along Michigan, ESPECIALLY one of my favorites in the city, that cool one with the turret on the corner of 23rd and Michigan. Definitely would be an awesome building to save in the city. Anyone know the history of this structure? I've always meant to get a photo of it, but never have.

Here's the quote about that part:

[quote]:
The location is set at 23rd Street and Michigan Avenue, and principals have been recruiting business partners and tenants for the massive 18-acre complex on Detroit's west side.

Proposed by business partners Michael Sinanis and Christos Moisides, the site for the studio has been a manufacturing facility since the turn of the century.

It formerly was operated as a tier-one supplier, Detroit Electro Coatings Inc. until May, when it ceased operation due to the slowdown in the automotive industry.

Sinanis was a partner in DEC — which was run by his uncle — and also director of sales. When the automotive operation ceased, he paired up with his cousin, Moisides, who worked as a cinematographer in Los Angeles for eight years before moving back to Detroit five years ago. The family still owns the land and facility.

“It was the perfect opportunity to bring life back to this place,” Sinanis said.

But much work remains.

Of the original 700,000 square feet of industrial space on the campus, just 160,000 will be saved. New structures will be built to create five sound stages as part of the roughly $40 million facility, along with retail facing Michigan Avenue.

Sinanis and Moisides expect to start construction by late spring and complete the project a year later. The plan includes the sound stages, a helipad, green screen space, equipment rental, a warehouse and logistics services.[/quote]

...I guess I need to figure out how to get the quote to work the way I want it to....

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 656
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time to really work on that screenplay!

Marshall
Username: Marshall

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be great!
On another note, I saw commercials for (forget the college) which was offering classes in being a production assistant. They said the students would have to make coffee runs, pick up people at the airport and do a variety of tasks that production assistants do.

I like that they don't glamorize the position - but I wonder if one of the classes would be called "Schlepping 101"?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6089
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Busterwmu... use "\" "quote" "{" (with no spaces between them... then your quote... and then finally at the end) "}" (and don't include these " )

Pcm
Username: Pcm

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The school that was advertising the PA classes was most likely Specs Howard in Southfield.

I'm a Specs Alumni, and I fondly recall taking a PA course shortly after graduation.

It's valuable if you have NO idea where to begin.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 760
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't need to take classes to be a PA as long as you have a brain and are willing to work hard and sometimes long hours.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 690
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjlj is right, Kwame could even do it. He might not like getting pushed around and being the 'bitch' though.

Thanks for posting the article, good to hear there is progress being made.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.