Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Belle Isle Concern/Serial Killer????? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 437
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday during my routine jog on the Isle, I was stopped by one of the Isle's regular homeless residents that is none by the name of 'Marie'. (Most regulars to the Isle have seen 'Marie' at one time or another.)

'Marie' warned me that this winter there have been 4 different people, on different occasions, in different areas on the Isle found shot in the head dead, with their pant(s) removed. She didn't know whether the bodies were brought on to the Isle or not. She claimed that, 'there is some sort of serial killer on the loose'.

I spoke with a police officer on the Isle and he basically stated that he could not comment on the accusations.

Also, strangely of late, I have seen several abandoned cars at various locations through-out the Isle. One car has been literally in the middle of the road for days.

Also It appears of late, more than usual, that the Isle is in dire need for basic service. The traditional holiday tree dangled over for months before it was finally removed, several wood picnic huts have collapsed, wire fencing around the fountain__overall, it seems the Isle has been abandoned.

I'm not sure how true Marie's claims are, but she appeared concerned and worried.

Just wondering, if there is a way to find out if her concerns and warnings are true. As I stated, I talked to an officer assigned to patrol the Isle, and didn't receive much information.

I will continue to investigate this, and pass along any updated information that I receive.

blksoul_atcha!

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 476
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a website that shows all the police calls the DPD have? I think it was posted here a while ago.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detroit.mi.crimeviewcom munity.com/default.asp

it does not list sexual assaults/manslaughter/homicde though

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 477
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank goodness, Gravity. I was trying to do the search and was having all kinds of problems. First time found nothing and then found an "Internal Server Error".

I wonder why the site doesn't include the most serious crimes?

Originalg313
Username: Originalg313

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Johnberk" posted this:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090127/M ETRO/901270459/1361

in this thread:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/173866.html?1233253213

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6090
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wire fencing around the Scott Fountain is an annual "winterizing" precaution. Many years ago some vandalism happened in the winter to the fountain, so they fence it in during the winter months to keep vandals away.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, that was last winter

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3662
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds like you just had a conversation with a crazy homeless person. i wouldn't worry about it.

Johnberk
Username: Johnberk

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you figure the homeless person is "crazy"? Do you have access to police reports or something?

In the Detroit News article mentioned above, it states that the victim was shot in the head, just like the "crazy" person described.

In addition, the News only devoted 4 sentences to the discovery of a body on Belle Isle, with no follow up articles. And as best as I can tell, no mention of it by any other media outlets. So if this incident got such little coverage, its not unreasonable to believe that there have been other incidents that have received no coverage whatsoever.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6093
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish_mafia, the fencing has been there for many years. I remember reading back in the 1990's about some vandalism that happened to the fountain. Likely vandalism has happened there more often than we know...

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle Metro Park?

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G,

You may be right about multiple years of vandalism. I m just referring to the copper thieves that stole the fresh copper that had been put in the year before by the Grand Prix folks...who then had to do it again last year.

Many of the issues that people are concerned with on Belle Isle, all four seasons, would appear to be resolvable with regular, active police presence. Something that is clearly not adequate today.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8979
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just drove around it yesterday morning...I probably waved at you, Blksoul_x...and noticed that one of the picnic shelters was crumbled, but that by a fallen tree.

They obviously had already cut the fallen tree into pieces and removed the bulk of it, so the cause of the shelter's demise isn't easy to see.

So from MY point of view, I saw an accident on the island being properly handled and it seemed even promptly, but they might've been waiting for warmer weather when Blk_x noticed it.

Dunno anything about four murders...haven't seen any cars abandoned in the middle of the street either.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>Also It appears of late, more than usual, that the Isle is in dire need for basic service. The traditional holiday tree dangled over for months before it was finally removed, several wood picnic huts have collapsed, wire fencing around the fountain__overall, it seems the Isle has been abandoned.<<

I'm sure this is a seasonal issue. Wait until spring, they'll take care of it. 8-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.