Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Monthly Parking DISCONTINUED at Cobo Arena; Cobo Hall; Cobo Roof Deck « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I was walking from the CoBo parking structure, I noticed an announcement:

NOTICE OF DISCONTINUATION OF THE MONTHLY PARKING PROGRAM - Effective March 1, 2009 - the City of Detroit will no longer offer monthly parking at Cobo.

What the heck?! Is this due to some kind of layoffs? Or is the city expanding Cobo and as such they need to keep people out of the structure? No information...

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2065
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this count the JLA garage? If so, that's going to suck for a lot of low-wage workers who can't afford the more expensive garages downtown. I used to park there when I worked for JWT (when they were downtown).

Kensingtony
Username: Kensingtony

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there a discount given for monthly usage?If so,the higher daily rate is a quick way to generate more money.

Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The inability to even call the Millenium Garage to see about getting alternate parking is frustrating. Their main number: 313-224-8920 is out of order... typical Detroit. You know, if you want to really reduce jobs quickly - why not eliminate affordable parking for folks who work in Detroit...

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2234
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its not CoBo, its Cobo. Its named after a former mayor and is not an amalgamation.

Why did you not ask the staff at Cobo? They would know better than anyone on this site.

It might be a perfect time to try transit.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on February 02, 2009)

Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 203
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Planner: I have. They've referred me to some non-existant employee and a perpetually non-responsive phone number.

Note: I'm not surprised that they are disorganized at Co-Bo, but you'd hope they would give folks some lead time and information instead of throwing two thousand monthly parkers out into the street in 27 days...

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not Co-Bo. It was named for mayor Albert Cobo.

It is, sadly, all to typical to be referred to a non-working, never answered, or constantly busy number for city services. Other big cities are bad for this, but Detroit is more consistent than anyplace else I've ever been.

Unless they're planning to expand Cobo again starting immediately (and wasn't that stalled by good ol' L. Brooks?), it sure would seem extremely short-sighted to eliminate the monthly discount for people who work downtown. Those people aren't going to just switch to paying daily parking rates, but will look elsewhere for a decent monthly deal.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3421
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. CoBo? See what happens when this cutesy tendency to give everything a two-syllable name with two capital letters goes too far? Here are some other well-known (satirical) examples.

North Corktown: NoCo
Actually, Albert Noco was the assistant manager of the Detroit Tigers in 1913. He made a bundle of money in sports betting, and he built the whole housing stock north of the stadium in the 1920s.

North Hamtramck: NoHam
Alexander Noham was a Dutch scientist who came helped develop a race of Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers, who now live in what remains of the Lasky furniture warehouse. He lived on Casmere Street, 1934-1947.

Mid-City Area: Midtown
Jonas Briedelbaum Mittown once owned a great deal of the real estate in what's now called Midtown (after him). In 1918, he combined various areas of neighborhoods previously called Thugton, Gin Alley, Mugger's Cove and Seven Points into one super-neighborhood to bear his name. The actual borders of Mittown's development were never laid down firmly, though. Wherever crime prospered, Mittown would just change the borders of his development to encompass the nicer homes adjoining the booze- and prostitution-rife surroundings.

** SATIRE ** SATIRE ** SATIRE ** SATIRE

:-)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3706
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Its not CoBo, its Cobo. Its named after a former mayor and is not an amalgamation.

I think the o/p already knew that:

"Monthly Parking DISCONTINUED at Cobo Arena; Cobo Hall; Cobo Roof Deck"

Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 204
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE: I was able to find a working number for the Millenium Garage (The main number: (313) 224-8920 is ALSO non-working) via the ticket booth attendant (who knew nothing about the C.O.B.O. closure on March 1st). That working number led me directly back to Co.BO's office at Washington Avenue who told me to call back in a couple of days when things calm down because they're swamped with calls from people wondering where they're going to park.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^So, call back when you don't need to call?

We opted out of anything related to the city government with our wedding. After months of trying to just talk to them, we gave up. We're still using tons of small businesses in the Downtown area, just won't be dealing with the city anymore.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 852
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The idea that the staff would know better than anyone at all, is a joke. Try that theory at the City/County building, the Health Department, Police HQ, etcetera. This site would be much more likely to provide up to date, accurate, information than almost any City of Detroit employee, office or department.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 612
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't make much sense to discontinue monthly parking if they're looking to sell off the department as per the budget address.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hopefully this is a sign that Cobo (or CoBo if you will :-) will be expanded.

Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 205
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm getting my canoe ready for the daily commute from Downriver to Hart Plaza.

Going against the current is going to be rough!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7636
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...but the return trip will be much easier. :-)

Will we be seeing you on craigslist to make a few bucks for your "water taxi"?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No point in even answering someone who goes out of their way to be irritating.

Gee, let's all revel in bad spelling/punctuation!!! Gosh, what fun!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.