Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Michigan Central Depot Drawings « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Laurahaak
Username: Laurahaak

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone have or know where to get architectural plans/sections of the Michigan Central Depot?

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 590
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Arcadia Press Images of America book, "Michigan Central Station," has some drawings inside. I am not sure they are architectural quality drawings, but they do layout the various sections of the building. Its definitely worth the $13.59.

http://www.amazon.com/Detroits -Michigan-Central-Station-Amer ica/dp/0738518816/ref=pd_bbs_s r_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=123333 0333&sr=8-1

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 568
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.emergencyrailconcep ts.org/MCS.htm

And is it necessary to type in caps?

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://onlyndetroit.com/

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3419
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When, oh, when will people stop calling Michigan Central Station "the depot." The depot was somewhere else; this was the "station." :-)

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 375
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could try HABS, The Historic American Buildings Survey

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/co llections/habs_haer/

Aarne_frobom
Username: Aarne_frobom

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plan drawings of the station's layout are in the book, "Passenger Terminals and Trains," by A. Droege. This was published originally around 1918, and was reprinted by Kalmbach around 1968. Copies turn up now and then through used-book sources. I think the drawings are foldouts of both the station and the larger railroad plant.

This book is an architect's textbook on how to design passenger terminals. It is still worth reading for its advice on how to handle large volumes of people through a facility, something modern architects of airports, malls, offices, and the original Renaissance Center are frequently ignorant of.

As I recall, Droege complimented MC Depot as a model of efficient passenger, baggage, and mail handling and for its ancillary accommodations, such as waiting rooms and restaurants. The building was only a couple years old when the book was written, so it was literally state-of-the-art.

Incidentally, so far as I know the official name of this building was "MC Depot" and I have never heard a railroader or railfan refer to it by any other name. Except, lately, "that dump." The phrase, "MC Station" seems to be in use only on this board. Maybe I'll haul out my copy of Droege and see what he called it . . .

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 748
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://books.google.com/books?id=RG45AAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Passenger+Terminals+and+Trains&ei=XUKDSebVL5P2MYHzsZUF&hl=en#PPA402,M1

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 248
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When, oh, when will people stop calling Michigan Central Station "the depot."

I think most Detroiters of that era called both trains staions "depot." My grandparents would refer to "Michigan Central Depot" or "Union Depot" (or the "Michigan Depot" and the "Fort St. Depot"). Even the streetcars and buses that went to Michigan Central read "Depot" on the destination roll.

(Message edited by eastsideal on January 30, 2009)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3420
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me, the depot was at Fort and Third, and the station at Michigan and 17th. But, then again, I'm no old-timer. :-)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The floor plans reproduced in "Passenger Terminals and Trains" are also in an article from "Railway Age Gazette" from early 1914.

At least one area where the depot's designers failed was where several ticket windows are jammed behind the huge columns, allowing little room for lines.

A Trains Magazine article from 1978 also states that railroaders universally called it the "MC Depot."

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4052
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do any of the elevations have heights on them? There is an often thrown around height for the station, but there is never any citation of the information and I've always wondered if it was just an estimate.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Railway Age Gazette article gives the heights and some other dimensions. I'll dig it out tonight and post the info here.

Wolverine

Post Number: 577
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, in the link I posted, the elevations are drawn to scale. (the .dxf files)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Early concept drawing of Michigan Central Depot:

train station drawing

(NOT to scale)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4059
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverine, there is no scale on that file, though.

Wolverine

Post Number: 578
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It says on the file 1/8"=1' In any vector based program, open the pdf zoom to 100%, and using the inch rulers typically on the edge of the document you can assess the final height.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2169
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is probably a silly question (sorry), but why was there a separate concourse and waiting area? Weren't they both essentially rooms to wait for your train?

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the way it looks, the Concourse was for passenger loading and unloading, with traffic flowing either to the trolley tracks or the carriage area.

I'd say that the waiting room was for longer term stays, for waiting for trains to come. Amenities are there,cafe,and all that.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2170
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That makes sense. Thank you.

Aarne_frobom
Username: Aarne_frobom

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That does indeed appear to be how the Depot was intended to work. Chicago Union Station used to be the same, before its concourse was obliterated by air-rights development. Note that arriving passengers were intended to flow from the front of the building (the bottom in the drawing posted above, past the ticket counters, into the concourse. Arriving passengers mostly exited to either side, to the left directly to the streetcars, or to the right to cabs. The ticket counters seem to have faced the narrow passageway between the two big rooms, which was probably a source of congestion. I'm not sure that this wasn't remedied later. I seem to recall ticket counters facing one of the big open areas.

Notice also the "reading room" and women's waiting room, something you won't find at Metro Airport.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was able to obtain 1st or 2nd generation copies of the origional prints from Burton Historical. It took some fanagaling, as the staffer I was dealing with was one of those who didn't like to leave his chair much. Unfortunately I have found this to be the case most of the time, although I have heard of folks getting stellar treatment there as well. Guess it's just luck of the draw. The prints I was able to see included details of the column capitals on the outside of the building's Michigan Ave. facade, some upper floor plans, and also very nice details of the railings, banisters, and newel posts. The gentleman that was assisting me mentioned that they had not been requested that he could remember during his decades long tenure there. So you might want to spend an afternoon coaxing them out of the basement if you have the time. I have no idea how complete the collection of prints is, as I was only brought a dozen or so sheets.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The early 1914 Railway Age Gazette article says the total height of the station is 230'. The height to the top of the waiting room roof is 76'. The total building frontage is 345' and depth is 266'. The office portion is 54' wide in the center, and the wings are 108' wide.

The article also discusses how a solid concrete mat was required instead of caissons, so that the building could settle evenly into the clay.

The bottom of the mat is 24.75' feet below the waiting room floor. The mat is 42" thick under the office building portion, and 30" thick under the waiting room and concourse.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article mentions that the street immediately in front of the depot was to be called the "Depot Esplanade," though I don't think that name took off.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was signed that way for a long time though. It was only for that short little drive in front of the entrance portico.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2944
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://onlyndetroit.com/

Text description

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4070
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie, is the article you cite located anywhere on the net, or is it something you have in your physical possession?

Burnsie

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan-- I photocopied the article from a bound volume in a library; can't remember which library it was.

(Message edited by Burnsie on February 03, 2009)

Wolverine

Post Number: 581
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Krawlspace, I've had a difficult time with BHL getting materials so you are fortunate to see those prints. I was doing a website once FOR the university that would be a past and present documentary with new and old photos. They told me I could pull some photos from their archives on the condition that I not use them online. But that was the project I was contracted to do. I lied and posted them anyway. Surprised they never said anything even though they saw the site.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.