Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Lions to Change Logo « Previous Next »
Archive through January 30, 2009Rjk30 01-30-09  5:36 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 250
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barry Sanders, rocking the championship-era throwbacks.

Bring back the no logo glory years!

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 749
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found listed as a prototype for the Lions.

http://www.logoserver.com/NFL.html

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is more appropriate

Bowlmet

T1N, that lion looks like he's using palmaide

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3586
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ouch -

Townonenorth

Post Number: 751
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome you mean Pomade, as in Dixie Peach?

Eastsideal

Post Number: 253
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That prototype looks way too much like the Buffalo Sabres infamous "Buffaslug"

Townonenorth

Post Number: 752
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say it was good, only that it was found. LOL

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares about the logo - get some damm cheerleaders!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6583
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better yet, give us something on the field for the cheerleaders to cheer about.

But if that doesn't work, the cheerleaders could still linger a little longer.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 844
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'll be a dead cat with rigor mortis.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about just a Honolulu blue block "D" on the side of their silver helmets with two slightly thicker blue stripes, minus the white, a bit further apart over the top?

That silhouette of a lion sucks, IMO, it always has reminded me of the 60s "Colorforms" kit for kids.

Oh yeah, and get rid of the damned black outlining, it looks like someone went overboard with a roll of black pinstripe tape.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on January 31, 2009)

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the silver helmets. Personally, I don't think they need to change them, but if they do I hope they do the silver thing. The old logo is the best and I hope they use it again. As for the jerseys and the team colors, don't change them.

Gnome

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

flanders block D

Flanders, not too sure I follow your blu-stripes without white suggestion, but how's this?

T1N, being bald I'm not up on haircare products, but that lion looked like Al Sharpton with a hemaroid flair-up to me.

(Message edited by gnome on January 31, 2009)

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 197
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The black ought to go, that was one of Millen's ideas. The black jersey's should be burned as well. Remember, Millen wanted the Loins to be more like the Raiders, thinking black was intimidating...what a crock of shit. Since both the Loins and Raid-turds couldn't beat a good high school team and both have to fight it out to be the worst ownership in pro sports, I think Millen achieved his goal rather handily.

Townonenorth, that IS the logo that the Loins team officials put as a trail balloon a few years ago. It's real Mickey Mouse looking. It's fucking perfect for those losers! Nothing ferocious looking at all. I also like the cowardly Lion, it's good for a third jersey effect!

Gnome

Post Number: 2293
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

brain helmet

Just a little something to go with your breakfast this morning.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 952
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It'll be a dead cat with rigor mortis.

perhaps a variation on this photo:

Free Cat

(with apologies to the sensitive)

The Mickey Mouse logo is horrific. Seriously, is that just a purple Lion-o from the Thundercats? (they'd be better off just using that logo)

Personally, I think the Lions have more important things to worry about than a new logo. Get the team back together, THEN consider new logos.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3599
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome - I'll stick with the bullet hole style. We have the rep - let's use it to our advantage.

Besides - it will scare the men from anywhere other than the rust belt.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The throwbacks have been a consistent hit in this town ever since they first came back. Seeing Barry in that uni on Monday Night when we kicked the Cowboys asses using the "I" formation was great.

I do not understand why the Lions do not use that uni as the main uni. We already have them. People in this town love them. It shows tradition (the last winning tradition). It has it all.

Let's quit fucking around and use'em!!!! If they did ... I for one would be seriously looking to buy someone out of there season tickets, in addition to buying a jersey for the whole family.

Gnome

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...buying a jersey for the whole family.

That's gonna be one big jersey.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3603
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice touch, Gnome.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That's gonna be one big jersey."

Yep .... gonna have to get it in size "Spirit of Detroit".

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Flanders, not too sure I follow your blu-stripes without white suggestion, but how's this?

Great job, Gnome, that is what I had in mind, it would look a bit darker IRL.

I forgot about the ridge over the middle of the helmets that covers the crease between the halves of it when they are made, so maybe get rid of the white stripe that covers it, and keep the two blue ones, just make them each a half-inch or so wider.

Gnome

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders, I'll have to find a pic taken from a different angle, But I think I follow. Kind of like racing stripes on a Shelby Cobra.

Scottr, the free cat pic was tastelss. I loved it.

BigB, thx for the notice.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Came up with another idea for a cutout inside the Lions "D" decal for the side of the helmet that exposes an "L" for Lions using the silver color of the helmet, very crude, but I don't have Adobe Photoshop.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townonenorth

Post Number: 753
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for Ned Flanders

Flanders, this is the best I could do with the tools I have. I double the width of the blue stripe on top, changed the white stripe to silver, dropped in the D and the L.

The problem comes in getting the perspective correct. sorry if I let you down.

Homewrecker, oh, I love Hello Kitty. Got one tattooed on my left cheek, tres chic.

TIN, looks like Mothra attacking the Ren Cen.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 754
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is a bit Mothra-like isn't it?
The team that ate Detroit? All you need is the Japanese twins.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 755
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 169
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ i like that one!!

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 170
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought that a lion rendition of this would look cool... I tried finding something like it on google images but to no avail. Anyone want to attempt to illustrate it?

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Found listed as a prototype for the Lions.

again, this was taken from an Artist's portfolio and spread amongst the Internet. It had nothing to do with the Lions nor the NFL.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 756
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheesh. I'm almost positive that the Lions logo above isn't really a product of the Lions, but one never really knows...

One thing for sure I do know is that your initial post is dead wrong, regarding the Lions logo in the first half of the topic.

Here's the Lions media guide from 1974.

1974 Lions Media Guide

Eastsideal

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That media guide cover is from the Lions last season at Tiger Stadium. The Lions used that insignia a lot from the late '50s into the '70s. I'm sure I still have it on a bunch of my Lions stuff from when I was a kid in the late '60s and early '70s and my family were season ticket holders, until the team moved out of Detroit. That design was reportedly influenced by the British lions seen on the city's flag.

(Message edited by eastsideal on February 01, 2009)

Townonenorth

Post Number: 757
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good call on the Lions Eastsideal.

Eastsideal

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same lions show up in a even more elongated form, closer to the Lions logo, in the special stanchions set up on Woodward for the city's 250th anniversary, as seen in this picture:

http://tinyurl.com/b2zemy

Bshea
Username: Bshea

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any uniform and logo change would have had to have been submitted to the league office in March, and approved or denied by November. So, any changes were in the works prior to 0-16.

Note the blog entry on it:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/s hea

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9286
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

One thing for sure I do know is that your initial post is dead wrong, regarding the Lions logo in the first half of the topic.

I never said that logo has nothing to do with the Lions. The so-called proposed logo is the one I am talking about. It keeps making its round for what has to be 10 years it seems.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge,

Another good one. Calvin pissing on the Toyota logo is absolutely rich! Too bad you couldn't show a Ford oval tattooed onto Calvin's ass.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 758
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_, clearly you were referring to the logo I posted first, with the British lion, if you reread the posts on the previous page. I made no mention of the Pomade Pussycat, initially.

I vaugely remember seeing it in the newspaper a few years ago, as a trial balloon of sorts.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 433
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All those look really lame.
How about something a little fiercer or just stick with the plain silver helmets?
Using the KISS method might just make them stick out more.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those D and L helmets look like LD, Learning Disability... no comment.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"L" for Loser, centered right in the middle of the front.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2778
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want the old-style Lion to come back. If Ford won't do it then I say bring it back when the old drunk bastard croaks.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.