Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Any sub-$1,000/mo lofts?! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pcm
Username: Pcm

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've searched high and low, and the only reasonable lofts I can find are owned by Boydell.

I live in the River Park Lofts now, and I can assume the other properties offered by Boydell are just as disappointing.

http://www.loftplace.com/01/

Does anyone lease a loft that goes for less than a grand per month and isn't owned by a slumlord?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8968
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make offers to each and every one you visit.

Tell them in NO uncertain terms that they are priced from over two years ago when times were loose...and they need to re-adjust their pricing.

Enough landlords hear this, and keep wasting their time showing over-priced lofts, we will finally see the downward movement that should be happening in lofts.

Good luck on your quest Pcm, and a hearty welcome to the board.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, They aren't going to budge lower. Rental prices downtown have been climbing recently due to high demand. Rental prices in the entire region are rising. The collapse of the lending market has pushed more people into rentals. The landlords know they now have a hot product and are pricing accordingly.

Gannon

Post Number: 8972
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hot enough that there are vacancies abounding?!

One sure thing, N, this real estate collapse has done more for the resurgence of the extended family under one roof than anything. People are condensing and collecting, and learning how to share bathrooms again.

Many lofts are priced beyond reason (if not most within three miles of the CBD), and I stick to my comments above. Keep offering lower, Pcm, and discover those landlords who will work with you.

Have a certified copy of your own credit report, and a list of references...and refuse those silly application fees, while we're at it, too!

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 931
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry pcm; i searched high and low years ago for a sub $1000 a month loft and only came up with boydell buildings. i moved in and realized why they were priced that way.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PCM - try the Parkstone/Parker in West Village. Though they're not a loft, they're great apartments with hardwood floors, newer windows, decent landlord and are offered at a good price ($500-$1000 a month, I think). IMO - they're equally as impressive as any loft.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 699
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, not a loft, but maybe a little better:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/65504/159499.html?123204 5571

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second Eric_c's suggestion. That is a lovely historic building in a great neighborhood close to downtown and even closer to Belle Isle. The landlord lives across the street and is quite attentive. Several forumers live, or have lived, not only in that neighborhood but in that duplex. Definitely worth a look see.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 336
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i can pretty well guarantee that the north of $1000/mo loft rentals are not gravy for the landlords. they're just trying to cover their mortgage (if that).

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 535
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know they had some lofts in the new ones on Broadway for near $1,000.......

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 509
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a good friend that just moved into one of Boydell's lofts. The Grand Lofts. Its very large, 2 full levels, 2 bathrooms, 2 large closets and brand new (they are the first to live in the unit.) They must be hurting for tenants because he's paying less than 700, free utilities for the next 2 months, its month to month, free secure parking. The downside is that you can hear your neighbor sneeze.

Can someone give me the lowdown on why loft place lofts are so terrible. I suppose I've been in almost all of the other buildings and for the msot part they are sh*tholes but this place looks pretty nice.

Pcm

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mdoyle,

That sounds a lot like my experience at the River Park Lofts at Jefferson and Mt. Elliot.

The view is great, the rent is cheap, the unit has TONS of character (original windows, wood and brick everywhere!).

However, my brand new bed was destroyed by water damage on Christmas day while I was out of town, and it's been like pulling teeth to get even a response from management about it. The comment about hearing the sneeze, 100% true. Guy above me? Religious nose blower. Couple beneath me? Someone is always cheating on someone. Family beside me? Kids aren't doing their homework.

I can't blame any of my neighbors. They're minding their own business. But the original everything comes at the cost of privacy (I can see through my floor into the unit below me) and silence. Oh yea, the couple with the infidelity issues also have a cute little dog; that clearly makes it's presence known.

It'll be a hard place to move out of because there are so many positives, but if you value your sleep, not the place for you.

Gannon

Post Number: 8974
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said the lofts were cash-cows for these landlords, of course many of them built when time were more loose and their bankers structured the deals appropriately.

That has nothing to do with whether the lofts are priced at current market rates, but it DOES have tons to do with how happy landlords will be to adjust down to them!

Keep asking, seeking, knocking...and it will be delivered to you!

Those noisy Boydell lofts can be tamed, but you have to spend a bit on construction materials and put up with a few days of dust.

A second floor surface will seal the gaps and provide some measure of idolation from infidelity...then LC wall construction will reduce the travel from adjacent units, especially if you use green goop...an isomer developed specifically as structural glue that isolates vibration.

Overall costs will be high, but if you don't move for a while it would be WELL worth it.

Eric_c

Post Number: 701
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yanno...my flat in Islandview gives you vintage appeal, an open floor plan, amazing amounts of sunlight - and no noisy neighbors.

Just a reminder. Seriously, come check it out and if you like it, let me know. I may be willing to offer a sweetner to forum members. But I also might not. ;)

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Iodent lofts above Centaur Bar....$850 and up....Very Nice!

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 468
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, for real? You can't get a loft for below $1,000 in Detroit? I can even get you a (admittely small) loft in the NYC area for around that price!

You sure you're dealing with real lofts and not cheesy, overpriced apartments billed as lofts? Some people think high ceilings + exposed piping =loft.

Eric_c

Post Number: 702
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iodent lofts $850 and up, plus the cost of parking and a walk to your car. You'd have a driveway at my flat. ;)

Sorry...couldn't resist.

BTW - hipsters are going to find nice flats are the next "lofts". :-)

Gthomas

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get a loft for $600 and up really.....a real loft. There pretty cheap here in Detroit...

Eric_c

Post Number: 703
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well then G, tell us where, so Pcm can move!

Pcm

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

I have put plenty of consideration into "upgrading" my loft. However, I fear that short of replacing the floor, ceiling, windows, and re-insulating the drywall, any attempt will be futile.

And I'm hardly interested in plopping down too much money on a rental. I seem to have a case of IGSOMPFAWTM disease. That is, "I Get Sick of My Place Fast and Want to Move" disease."

Maybe my standards are too high?

Either way, I can't help but feel like if I'm going to live in the city, I want to feel like I'm living in a city, i.e., either in a high rise or a loft. If I want to live in a house, I might as well live in Royal Oak or Ferndale. But that sounds dreadful (even considering the fact that my commute from Birmingham to Detroit every day is annoying!).

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 673
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Eric_c

Post Number: 702
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 3:02 pm:

...BTW - hipsters are going to find nice flats are the next "lofts".

I think Eric_c is right. Other cities (Baltimore, NYC, Phillidelphia, and so on) have block after countless block of rowhouses; but that type of housing did not really catch on in Detroit. We have equally cool homes but in the 2-family flat, duplex, style. It's a Detroit thing.

Many of the rowhouses in Brownstone Brooklyn and beyond have been converted into owner-occupied floorthroughs, NY's version of our two-family flats.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked living in a flat a lot. Neighbors, but not too close - was nice. But I've lived in a high-rise, too, and I liked that. The only snafu with high rises is you need to build in a lot more time for waiting for elevators when getting groceries and stuff, and parking (unless, you make it so you walk to work).

There does need to be more rental that comes online - the urban pioneer crowd, especially in this economy, needs OK flats/lofts/apts at about the $700-$1000 price range. Downtown's/Midtown's revitalization in some ways could be done through the rental market, as odd as that sounds.

Thinking of this, how about what used to be Trolley Plaza? I don't know what it's called now, but I've heard the $700-$1000 range for that.

Both Gannon and NDavies are right, oddly - but ALWAYS negotiate. Be reasonable, but if you don't ask, you won't get.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im sorry to hear eric_c hasnt rented that flat yet, Its fantastic...............

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 469
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Rental prices in the entire region are rising. The collapse of the lending market has pushed more people into rentals. The landlords know they now have a hot product and are pricing accordingly."

Where in metro Detroit is this happening? I have been helping someone make a move, and every place offers one free month, reduced rent, month-to-month leases, etc.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 654
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, You should check out Eric's flat. It looks drop dead beautiful. He also sounds like a great landlord. You might not be in downtown proper but you would be living in a historic district. The area has real character. So close to downtown too.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 655
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just an aside, my son had a great loft (about 1200 sq. ft) $350 a month and it included all utilities. (Even central air con) He moved in in with his girlfriend. At great expense to him. I did suggest they live in his place but his fiance doesn't want to live in Detroit.

I would have moved in, in a heartbeat, but we assist in care for an aging relative. So it wasn't in the cards.

If you don't mind a slightly bohemian life style there are still some great bargain lofts.

Good luck. But definitely check out Eric's flat.

Pcm

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the pictures of Eric's flat, it looks absolutely beautiful.

He needs someone in there who can comfortably afford to pay $950/mo..

That's really pushing it for me.

But I love the wood trim. Stunning.

Any thoughts on the Garfield lofts?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 688
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd take a flat over lofts any day. More 'homey', usually you have some yard space, beautiful woodwork, and you're still in an urban environment if you find the right flat in Detroit. You can't beat an historic home like Eric's. Go for it!! If I wasn't tied into a lease and just living by myself, I'd be all over that. But damn that'd be great for a couple or three friends.

Ourneighbors
Username: Ourneighbors

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just moved out of 1217 Griswold over in Capitol Park.

The place is 2000 sq feet and is going for 550/month.

The space in it is wonderful, the location a little sketchy--though never lacking in window entertainment.

Supposedly there is a plan, once the bus triangle moves, to completely renovate the park, which we were always hoping for. I wouldn't count on it, however once the busses move it certainly will change around there for better or worse.

There are a lot of flaws with the building and management, but considering the cost and the freedom the landlords allow their tenants we were able to make any changes we wanted to the place. Be warned that for most problems, besides MAJOR problems, you're on your own.

It's not the place for most, but it's the perfect spot for some.

The primary flaws include: plaster chipping off the ceiling, questionable piping, and a little rain indoors a couple times of year in the back of the apartment.

If you have the time, money, and know how or any combination of these things, the place could be a dream.

Be warned: kids are attracted to the place, it's nearly empty right now, however there are bouts of 3-6 month tenants who come in, make a ton of noise, trash the place, and leave.. It's quite a phenomena.

Hope this helps..

Boydell is certainly a better for health, maturity, and not having to put tons of work into an almost illegal building.. but for some it's more about putting the place together yourself than paying for it monthly.

Gthomas

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May I have some inforamtion about the lofts in Capitol Park for $550. I'm very much interested....please email me gtrip313@yahoo.com

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 204
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Washington Square Apartments (formerly Trolley Plaza). It's a 29 story apartment building at Washington and Grand River. They have new owners that have been doing some great things. It's not a loft but 99% of the apartments have balconies and you can get a 2 bedroom/2 bath for $800. First 5 stories are parking and it's just a few blocks from Comerica, Campus Martius and 133 bars and restaurants:-) I love it!

Also there are a few small loft developments around that don't really advertise like the Harmonie Park Lofts (across the street from the Coaches Corner).

Email me...we can help you find something for sure. jpierce@insidedetroit.org

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although it might be true that when foreclosures rise it increases demand for rent, in the current climate people don't have jobs period and the rental market is actually really hurting. Even in NYC people are getting 20% or more rent reductions. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02 /01/realestate/01cov.html?em

Gthomas

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well me and my business partner will like to rent either in capitol park or harmonie park. We love raw lofts that needs a lil work done to it. We love natural wood floors or concrete, natural brick walls and large windows ......if you have any information on that let me know thank you. Price range $500-750 nothing more... Gtrip313@yahoo.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.