Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Michigan Ave. Restaurant Reviews « Previous Next »
Archive through January 18, 2009Detroithabitater30 01-18-09  11:20 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_uke
Username: Detroit_uke

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brooklyn Street Grill...1266 Michigan Ave (at Trumbull)...breakfast - yum!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2419
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike's famous Ham place, 3700 Michigan!

Cycledetroit
Username: Cycledetroit

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deandub11,

My boyfriend is 1/2 Mexican, grew up in el Salvador and los angeles. We are scouted out some of the best mexican in the area...
taqueria mi pueblo on Dix is by far the most authentic mexican we have had, besides the roach roaches. We have tried a lot of places in SW detroit, if you want some suggestions let me know

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I 2nd Brooklyn Street Grill, it was my favorite when I lived next door and was pregnant with my son. I miss that place!
1266 Michigan Ave
Detroit, MI 48226
(313) 963-9485

Chuck_g
Username: Chuck_g

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree with CycleDetroit. Tanguria Mi Pueblo is very authentic.

I'm one of those people who chooses vacation spots based on food and have eaten all over Mexico. I love the food.

If you want a really authentic Yucatan/Mayan inspired meal, Tanguria Mi Pueblo is an excellent, affordable, choice.

(Message edited by chuck_g on January 19, 2009)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3366
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the old days, "eating Michigan Avenue" would have had a decidedly less appealing connotation, especially between Central and Wyoming. It brings to mind an erotic fantasy we've started calling the "Butch Hollowell." :P

Chuck_g

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd,

What's Debbie Stabenow's husband's name? We could name something along that stretch after him too.

They got the hooker, but what did they do to him??

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3367
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. But he was out in TROY! We reserve street renaming for people who have contributed to the city. ;)

Chuck_g

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hollowell had the dough for Troy hooker. Guess he wanted to keep his money in the City.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3546
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El Barzón is amazing, I posted about it here when it first opened, and I admire the audacity of Norberto; opening a restaurant that serves not only good Mexican fare, but amazing and unique ITALIAN fare as well, and doing this at the beginning of a huge economic downturn.

I'm glad to hear that he's still out there.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Taqueria Sr.Lopez, which gets my nod for having the most unique salsa (Salsa Hidalgo, made from roasted Chile de Arbol and grated orange peel in oil).

As I live in the eastern part of Los Angeles, one would think that I would have found a better taqueria here, as there are tens of thousands of them, as well as taco trucks.

Sr. Lopez also serves Cochinita Pibil, a Yucatán delicacy.
But alas, no Sopa de Lima...

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another vote here for Hy-Grade - for the food and the service/atmosphere.

Suma
Username: Suma

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't say I have found any particular Mexican restaurant I want to recommend. There's good one's around but nothing I would rave about. I do notice quality goes up and down dependant on the cooks.

The food I remember from New Mexico still can make me drool. Mostly Tex Mex of course but nothing like it here. My favorite restaurant there made almost everyting them selves from scratch. I used to combine their homemade red chile sauce (for flavor) and their green chili sauce (for heat). I still have yet to find a place up here with a real sopapilla.

Enjoy your adventure in dining!

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CycleDetroit,

Taqueria mi pueblo is my go to joint. I think its legitimately very good. I'd definitely take mexican restaurant suggestions for within the city and all around metro detroit if that's part of your knowledge base. Email me at saweisberg@detroitarmy.com

I appreciate it.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enchiladas with green sauce at El Barzon. Everything at M&M Cafe in east Dearborn.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

get the whole fish at el barzon, my girlfriend swears by it. i like the pasta arribiata and the vegetarian burrito is the best i've ever hand.

norberto was the main chef at il posto in bloomfield hills if i recall correctly. he cooks the exact same dishes at el barzon for half the price

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Il Posto is in Southfield, and has had the same Chef for quite a while. When the original owner and the chef split ways, Chef went to Florida and now that the new owners (who also own Pi Restaurant across the street) bought Il Posto, they brought him back with a sweet deal. To my knowledge, Norberto has never worked at Il Posto Ristorante, and he certainly isn't the old Italian guy I remember from there. His name will come to me.... dammit.. I hate senility...Marco? something with an 'M' I think.. Mattaeo! That's it... I used to watch World Cups with a bunch of Chefs and Matteo'd show up to root for the Italians.

Middetres
Username: Middetres

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norberto definitely worked at Il Posto. He wasn't the head chef. He's not even Italian, but he did work there the first couple years it was open. And if you try the Italian side of his menu, you'll know that the recipes are the same, but at a fraction of the price.

Mich_ave_jay
Username: Mich_ave_jay

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two new updates to the blog. Be forewarned they are in Dearborn but have no fear all of your suggestions wont go to waste. This coming Saturday will be a review from within the Detroit city limits.

eatingmiave.blogspot.com

On a side note, if the moderators of this site have an issue with me posting my link, please remove my posts. I understand this may be a free forum of discussion but is not a fee site. I will respect the owner and moderators of this site with no objection

Chuck_g

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Hy-Grade on Ford in Dearborn Heights.

Same folks? That's a frequent stretch of road for me.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 857
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta try El Barzon also, Love Gabriels,go to the one in Westland now.Have to admit I like the Buddy,s on Mich better then the one on Plymouth rd. Still miss the Pure Food bakery, loved their bread.

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gaelic League has awesome fish frys during Fridays in Lent and is open to the public. They have great Cod & fries. I was in England in 2006 and the fish and chips there were good but not as good as at the Gaelic League.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 586
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait to try El Barzon.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved the food in New Mexico during the time I spent there, but Suma's problem with the Mexican food here vs. New Mexico is a regional one. A lot of the Mexican food served in New Mexico is quite peculiar to that state and the northern region of Mexico that borders on it - like the sopapilla, which is native to that area. In contrast, most of the Mexicans in the Detroit area actually come from south central Mexico, and in particular recently from the state of Puebla (hence Taqueria mi Puebla). Which is why we see more corn tortilla stuff up here and more flour tortilla stuff in New Mexico.

Hygrade in Dearborn Heights, huh? Have no idea if the two places are related. Where is it? What do they serve? Do they have good corned beef?

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 341
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lot of Jaliscans in Detroit, too--from small towns outside Guadalajara. Corn, avocado, meat-raising region.

Second on El Barzón. Quite good. Did they ever get a liquor license?

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, El Barzon has a full bar now. They've even opened up the former banquet space for regular dining. The place looks nice.

I also wanted to give a plug for Annam Vietnamese restaurant in West Dearborn. Very good food.

Putnam
Username: Putnam

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

liquor is now served at el Barzón.

BUT tables are scarce on weekends. Best to go on a weeknight.

Gianni of Il Posto is back in Italy apparently. I can't spell the name of the chef (there's a "g" near the beginning) but he left leaving a two year gap with no "head chef." Norberto worked there at that time, and eight years prior. Before that he cooked Italian in New York.

I think Norberto and Luigi are planning to carry an Umbrian Sagrantino. I will be drinking that there with strozzapretti.

Service is great too, if a little more attentive than is absolutely necessary (better than the alternative though.)

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck_g - No, no connection. But it often comes up in discussion at "our" hy-grade when people come in assuming there is a connection. Those that frequent the other one also highly recommend it. The one in Detroit had a nice review in the Free Press a few years ago - its still posted at the tables.
Oh - and I do want to add one thing. If it's ham you're after, go next door to Mike's. Even the staff tell customers that. Hy-grade's original claim to fame is their Corned Beef (I'm not a fan, but friends who are highly recommend it) - the guy next door specializes in ham.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hygrade for sure. the "meal in a sandwich" (with turkey on an onion roll) is the best!

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Barnesfoto-
I could not agree with you more about the Salsa Hidalgo--I love that stuff! This salsa is a bit hot, but it is so delicious that I put it on just about everything. I second the vote for Senor Lopez.

Southwestsaavy
Username: Southwestsaavy

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Hygrade's Deli and the Telway

Southwestsaavy
Username: Southwestsaavy

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hygrade's in Dearborn is not the same owner in Detroit, and not nearly as good. For really authentic Mexican Food try Taqueria Nuestra Familia on West Vernor. (7620 Vernor). SOOOOO Good. It is just east of Central on Vernor on the north side of the street.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5532
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oohh, Telway sliders and Hillbilly Chili. Thanks, now I need a fix.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll vouch for Annam in Dearborn, too. Great food.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need to have a grilled hot dog at Caseys. They
are 1/4 lb. Dearborn Sausage Franks and are just the
right touch for a light snack. they're known for their hamburgers, but sometimes that's just too much
food, the hot dogs are great.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.