Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Bennett Elementary « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any Bennett Elementary alumni out there who are interested in forming an alumni committee? Our schools need help. This is one way we could give back.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 227
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the Bennett on Mulaney (?) off Vernor?

Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, on Mullane near Vernor.

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 229
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't go there, went to St. Gabes but was interested since I grew up in that neighborhood. I'm sure that you've also tried Classmates for contacting old friends?

Gamblingabes
Username: Gamblingabes

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended Bennett K - 5th / 69-75. Finished up elementary/middle school at St. Gabes 6th - 8th 76-78. Part of the mid-seventies mass exodus of DPS with the forced onset of busing.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7556
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K through 6 there in the late 50s/early 60s.

I was a Lieutenant in the Safety Patrol.

I appreciate the teachers there that encouraged me to learn. I've had a great love of history all of my life, because of my education there.

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to play strikeout on the Bennett playground in the 60's

Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gamblingabes: I was there from 73-77 and also left DPS when I started 6th grade to avoid busing. Went to Friends for a couple years then to St. Gabes when Friends' tuition got to much for my parents.

Jams: I also have very fond memories of the teachers at Bennett. I kept in touch with a few of them through HS and college, even after my family moved us out of SW Det. Most teachers I had really loved their jobs and had such a great attitude toward the students.

Gamblingabes
Username: Gamblingabes

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was also a safety patrol member, worked the crossing at springwells and senator. Played strikeout in the gravel parking lot between Cousins Bakery & the Lutheren Church. I remember a Mr. Moyer (band/music teacher) and I recall the gym teacher was actully named Mr. Bennett.

Jams

Post Number: 7557
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny thing. A few years later my family moved to Allen Park, there I became friends with the kids of several of my Bennett teachers.

You reminded me of the night I walked into Maury's Bar in Allen Park (see other thread) and spotted four of my former teachers there that night.

I had a blast drinking beer with them, and they were all proud of me for attending UofM.

Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember telling the social studies teacher, Mr. Meachan, that he looked like George Washington because he had white hair.

Jams

Post Number: 7581
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was one of them, both stories, the kids I befriended and that I drank beer with. (as well, as with his daughter}
I was in his class when the report came over the P.A.that President Kennedy had been shot and killed.

Good teacher and a good man, who cared about his students, but he was a red head when he taught me.

(Message edited by jams on January 15, 2009)

Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Mr. Maeso was the gym teacher when I was there. Whenever you did something wrong he would say, "Not too good, [insert last name], not too good."

Jams

Post Number: 7582
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gamblingabes
During my time there, I periodically pulled duty at that intersection, there was a crossing guard, I have no memory of her name, but she ran the students through it like a military operation.

Rickinatlanta,
Hell if it were today, we'ld have spray-painted the zone on the wall instead of the chalk we used. I had more than a few band-aids from that gravel playground.

Jams

Post Number: 7583
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mr. Maeso!

That was the name I couldn't remember.

He was head of the Safety Patrol! He knew I was not cut out for sports, and he always seemed to catch me doing stupid shit, but he also encouraged me to try even if I didn't succeed.

He and Mr. White, the music teacher, both drove those very cool T-birds with the porthole tops back then.

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane.

Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved Mr. White! He was such a caring man. He really loved his students. He invited my family out to what was either his house or cottage once. I remember going out on a lake on a pontoon boat. Coming from SW, it was like fantasyland. Other teachers I remember are: Ms. Rosenthal, who became Mrs. Schreiber (science); Mr. Wimmer (library); Mrs. Richards (4th grade, also one of my favorites); Ms. Fehniger (kindergarten); Mrs. Creech, Mrs. Spencer (5th grade, I think).

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,
What's amazing is that in todays world we couldn't have played on that gravel lot as we "might get hurt"! Hell, I took a facer into the blacktop lot at St. Gabe's playing dodgeball during recess in gradeschool. Came up with an egg sized not on my forehead...

Ludingtonrick
Username: Ludingtonrick

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Pearl St. and went to Bennett from kindergarten in 73-74 to 3rd grade in 75-76. The 2nd semester of 3rd grade I was bussed to Mark Twain. Catholic school after that. My fondest childhood memories are from the Bennett years. Anyone know where I can buy a time machine? Teachers : Mrs. Lemmer and Miss Fehniger(kindergarten), Mrs. Cochrane (1st grade), 2 weeks of 2nd grade with Miss Broome? I think that was her name. It was in that tiny little building separate from the main building. Then onto 3rd grade with Mrs. Richards. The best time for me was kindergarten, as we used to switch at some point in the day to Miss Fehniger's room which was fun and games the whole time. A circle would be formed and we'd sing Itsy Bitsy Spider, Farmer in the Dell, London Bridge is Falling Down, etc. We'd form a circle to play dodgeball, boys against girls, but we'd roll it instead of throwing. Always timing the girls' jumps with a look up their skirts :-) There was a general playtime where we'd play whatever we wanted. Jump ropes for girls, large cardboard blocks/boxes painted to look like oversized bricks you could stack to make whatever. I remember a time when I was running around playing with a large red rubber ball, but I was being chased by this loud, vivacious grinning girl who liked me. I finally had enough and hurled the ball into her head ( I've changed!! Really!). Had to stand in the corner for that one. Incredibly, my sophomore year at a Livonia school, I saw the identical grinning face in my gym class. I asked if her name was Shannon, and of course it was. She didn't seem to remember the incident, and I didn't bring it up :-) Cafeteria hot lunches I remember : pizza, fish w/tartar sauce, spaghetti.
Only gym memory I have is playing a game called Spiders and Flies. I think it was like Duck Duck Goose. I also remember a woman by the name of Mrs. Sheppard, I believe. She'd patrol that long hallway where the line would form for lunch. If you thought about horsing around while standing there, it would only take one look from this walking terror to straighten you out. I also went to St. Gabe's for catechism, and it was my mom's school for grades 1-12. Other than the classmate and holiday related memories there, I guess that about does it. Thanks to Hubbardfarmer for a correction to my memory as I always remembered Miss Fehniger's name as Finnegan. I look forward to more posts from people.

Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ludingtonrick, if you were in the morning kindergarten, then we were probably in the same class. We may have been in Mrs. Richards' class together, too. I think my first grade teacher was a Mrs. Peek. That's a great story about Shannon. Thanks for sharing!

Ludingtonrick

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in the morning kindergarten, yes. I didn't know they had an afternoon class. I assumed that when we left Mrs. Lemmer's class for Miss Fehniger's that she had a class that would then enter Mrs. Lemmer's. I could never remember for sure. So you had Mrs. Lemmer in 73/74 for kindergarten then? You know I misplaced my kindergarten class picture a few months ago, and it was like losing a pound of gold. I was so disgusted. I went by Richard back then since she'd read the full names in roll call and I couldn't be bothered to correct her. If you don't mind my asking, what is your first name? As for Mrs. Richards, I think you mentioned having her in 4th grade, whereas I had her for 3rd. I moved into her class after my 2 weeks of 2nd grade so that may explain it.

Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had Mrs. Fehniger for kindergarten. I believe it was her first year of teaching. I don't remember Mrs. Lemmer. But my memory is really fuzzy - much more so than yours, obviously! Now that you mention it, I probably had Mrs. Richards for third grade, not fourth. I remember busing starting when I was in her class. I'll never forget half my classmates going away and a new group of kids showing up who I didn't know. You were probably in the group that disappeared. My first name is Anne. I'll have to see if either of my parents has my class photos or records so I can be more accurate. Can't rely on my memory!!

Ludingtonrick

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh so there was an exchange of classes then. Yeah, unless we joined classes at that time, and I'm pretty sure we didn't, then you would've gone into Mrs. Lemmer's class. Reading, pasting things, and the last part of the hour would've been playing with the toys she kept in milk crates or something at the back of class. Did you guys do the same kind of things in Miss Fehnigar's class that I described in my first post?

Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! I remember the free play time near the end of the day especially. Playing with the cardboard bricks was the bomb. Ahh, life was so simple then!

Ludingtonrick

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, there were a lot of things to choose from but I always remembered eyeing the bricks to see if there was room enough to join in. They were popular. I also remember reading from those little yellow books with Sis the Snake and Sam the Lion. Watching a bozo cartoon. All of that was from Miss Fehniger's class. Then it'd be home to eat lunch and watch the Three Stooges and Little Rascals. If I was really lucky it would be monster week on the 4:30 movie and I'd enjoy a week of Godzilla bliss. Out to play with friends after that, 5pm dinner and then bath time around 6pm followed by To Tell the Truth, Let's Make a Deal, Truth or Consequences, Name That Tune, and maybe Happy Days, Chico and the Man or whatever. I'd be in bed by 9pm only to wake up and have another perfect Bennett day. Yeah, I really like those memories.

Ludingtonrick

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hubbardfarmer, let me know how your search for your class pictures goes. I've got my 3rd grade pictures and Mrs. Richards wasn't in it, but the Mrs. Sheppard that I mentioned previously is. I think she was the assistant principal. Not unusual since Mr. Nunez, the principal, is in my first grade picture, but not Mrs. Cochrane.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.