Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Community Garden Permit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard that it is possible to obtain a permit from the city to plant a community garden on vacant city land. Is this true? If so, do you know how one obtains this permit? My yard is shady and poisoned by a black walnut tree, and four lots down from me there is a sunny, vacant, city-owned lot where I would like to plant tomatoes.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can go to your neighborhood city hall. Ask for an adopt -alot- permit.

Cub

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will also need the address to the properties.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. :-)

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are not in love with your Black Walnut tree have someone harvest it. The wood is worth a lot. When I lived in Ypsilanti years ago there was a rash of "Black Walnut tree Rustlers" who would cut them down to sell the wood.

http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/askextension/thisQuestion.cfm?ThreadID=8030&catID=196&AskSiteID=87

(Message edited by homer on January 09, 2009)

Cycledetroit
Username: Cycledetroit

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psewick,

What area do you live in? I have been talking to one of my friends about a doing a garden this spring. Maybe , we could all go in together on it.

Email me at carrie.yager at gmail dot com

Cub

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Psewick and Cycledetroit,
You might want to try the Garden Resource Program.
The GRP 2009 Kickoff and Community Potluck is Tuesday, January 20th from 6-8pm
Focus Hope 1400 Oakman (parking across the street)it will also b an Inaugural Celebration. Televisions with some of the festivities will be on.
(from the newsletter)
Despite the cold weather, it's almost Spring! Join us to kick off the season with good food and friends in our city's wonderful urban gardening community. We'll share an overview of the 2009 season including exciting events, great new classes, and the list of GRP seeds & plants so you can begin planning your gardening year.
$20 for community gardens gets you 400+ transplants and 93+ seed packets.
$10 for family gardens gets you 100+ transplants and 60+ seed packets.

http://www.detroitagriculture. org/garden_resource_program.ht m

Cub

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Psewick and Cycledetroit,
You might want to try the Garden Resource Program.
The GRP 2009 Kickoff and Community Potluck is Tuesday, January 20th from 6-8pm
Focus Hope 1400 Oakman (parking across the street)it will also b an Inaugural Celebration. Televisions with some of the festivities will be on.
(from the newsletter)
Despite the cold weather, it's almost Spring! Join us to kick off the season with good food and friends in our city's wonderful urban gardening community. We'll share an overview of the 2009 season including exciting events, great new classes, and the list of GRP seeds & plants so you can begin planning your gardening year.
$20 for community gardens gets you 400+ transplants and 93+ seed packets.
$10 for family gardens gets you 100+ transplants and 60+ seed packets.

http://www.detroitagriculture. org/garden_resource_program.ht m

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been wanting to do this for a long time (if you havent scene my posts all ready). Im in. Psewick, any luck so far? Whtat location do you have in mind?

Cub

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wherever the location, let me know. I would love to help out.

Cycledetroit

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in corktown, I know there is a lot of land in north corktown... detroiterbychoice, where are you located? Last year I grew corn, strawberries, green beans, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, and cucumbers. I also grow basil and parsley year round. This year , I want to keep my yard for my dogs, and farm on vacant land.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would make sure to soil test any area you plant in Detroit. There have been a lot of dumping of chemicals and when knocking down house I do not think they environmentally clean the lot; just push it into the basement and cover.

You would hate to see any contaminates in your food.

Cycledetroit

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think getting the soil tested is fairly easy.
Cub, do you know anything about this?
my dad thinks Wayne county will test it for free, but he is not 100% sure.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cycle,

I live in midtown...err cass corridor or whatever it is now a days. Right by Old Miami.
Can we procure city owned land?

Cub

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cycle. I only know that the Garden Resource Program does it for free.

Cycledetroit

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiter,
I will look into the details of getting a plot. Cub, do you know how much an adopt a plot permit is? I assume, we need to find vacant land that we like first, and have the soil tested. I wouldn't want to adopt a plot that is not safe to plant in.
Detroiter, Do you have any plots in mind?

email me at carrie.yager @gmail . com

Detroitreds
Username: Detroitreds

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all-
Firstly, GRP membership($10 individual/family) does include a soil test, which is highly recommended for new gardens and advised for all plots. In addition to contaminants (mostly heavy metals, esp lead) the test includes nutrient levels, soil pH, %organic matter, and soil amendment recommendations.

The potluck tomorrow (1.20) is for ALL interested gardeners, returning and new. It's a potluck, but you shouldn't feel obligated to bring anything. Hope to meet some of you there.

Cub

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The adopt a lot permits are free.

Cycledetroit

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, Thank you for all of your help.
I am going to try to make it to the potluck tonight.

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'll be there

Cub

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are welcome! Hope to see both of you there.

Wgardner
Username: Wgardner

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great info here people. Where would one be pointed to when they want to buy or get backpay debt info for these lots??

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I am unable to provide you with a permit for a garden in your area, I can sell you carbon credits that will give you the flexibility to warm up your car for several minutes prior to going to work without worry on these cold days.

This will also allow you to transport seedlings to their new garden in a warm car.

At only $.50 per thermal unit credit, its really a bargain

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.