Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Ford Fusion Hybrid - Best in Class MPG « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2008812240322

Ford Fusion provides an answer to congressional critics
Hybrid champ offers 41 m.p.g. fuel-efficiency rating

Ford Motor Co.'s new Fusion hybrid will get 41 miles per gallon in the city -- making it the most fuel-efficient midsize sedan on the market -- and providing the company with a sharp retort to congressional critics' blasts at Detroit automakers' perceived lack of commitment to fuel economy.

8 mpg better than Toyota Camry Hybrid.

Ford, second to none in quality, safety, technology (try SYNC), etc. Check it out.

Oh, Fury13, you wanted over 40mpg. Here you go. See you at the dealer.

Go Detroit!

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real key is the price, not the MPG. $27,000 is a price people can afford, not a price that only employee using discounts can afford while the rest of the public picks up the tab.

Nice to see one of them gets it.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'll be happier when they build the Fusion in or closer to Detroit and not Mexico. Too much of the content is non-United States. Even the Camry has a higher percentage of US made content.

Bosch
Username: Bosch

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks good. Thats the kind of car I am looking for.

*starts saving pesos*

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 302
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The interior looks amazing!
Good work Ford!

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't 'tried' the hybrid, but.
People are like sheep, easily led.

Fusion was promoted as one of the best cars to own when introduced.

My company car in 2004 was a Focus, a good car.
In 2005 we switched to the new Chevy Malibu because price of those was reasonable. That was a GREAT car. A new design, etc. With a 6 cylinder, I averaged 30 mpg, and rode comfortably. Yet somehow, the marketing gurus at GM convinced the public that another redisigned,larger and higher priced Malibu is 'car of the year'- there was nothing wrong with the 2005-2007 models.

Price of the new Malibu too high for our Fleet buyers. But we had to have an American car for our image, meeting the public.

Rah rah rah, everyone raved we were going to get that cool looking new car from Ford- the Fusion! Open the door- tag says built in Mexico. And the 4 cylinder model has poor soundproofing and performance- Tach goes almost to 5,000 to climb some hills or accellerate into freeway traffic. Yet the Focus was quieter, more comfortable, and got better fuel economy than the Fusion.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You probably want to keep all your verbs in past tense or at least present perfect until you get a chance to check it out. This is the 2010 Fusion (available very soon), not the 2005.

As the Fusion gets 41 mpg highway and beats the Camry Hybrid by 8mpg, the Camry is at 33mpg. Guess what gets 34 mpg highway? The Ford Escape Hybrid. So, even the Escape Hybrid gets better MPG than the Camry Hybrid. Amazing.

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" You probably want to keep all your verbs in past tense or at least present perfect until you get a chance to check it out. This is the 2010 Fusion (available very soon), not the 2005. "

I did not specify before, but I now drive a 2009 Fusion, not 2005. Don't like the car, didn't like the 2007 Fusion I had before it. I can't recall seeing a 2005 Ford Fusion, that year I drove the Malibu.

If a hybrid Fusion were offered for my company car, I would try it. And I would express a personal opinion of its merits and faults. What the automotive writers promote seems to be based on looks, published specs and short term use for testing. For my job use, I put 50,000- 60,000 miles a year on a vehicle. But what do I know?

Those of us would will be making lease or loan payments can make a big mistake committing to a car just because everyone else says its the best car to own.
We were offered Rangers or Fusions this year. The price of the hybrid Escape was too much for our fleet buyers to consider buying at the time.

If buying a car for looks, perhaps the Fusion will impress a buyer. I get compliments on the 'nice sporty looking car'.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who will be purchasing any new automobile when the middle class is all but eliminated? Those making ten dollars an hour, with a child or two or maybe an aging parent to support will barely be able to afford food and shelter. They will certainly be unable to afford a twenty seven thousand dollar car.

Fafafooey
Username: Fafafooey

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:"So, even the Escape Hybrid gets better MPG than the Camry Hybrid. Amazing."

I totally agree East_Detroit. Ford looks to be in a position to become a leader in fuel efficient, nice looking vehicles that people will want to purchase; this is great piece of news for this area.

The main obstacle (IMO) the Big Three will need to overcome is the perception that American cars are not up to the same quality standards as foreign ones.

I am interested in seeing what GM will do with it's hybrid lineup which is fairly extensive yet still focuses too much upon the SUV's. I would like to see them develop a Cruze hybrid; I would seriously look at purchasing one since I LOVE my current GM product.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford is likely distancing themselves from the "Big 3" group, because they didnt ask for or receive a bailout and their quality is on par with Toyota and Honda (unlike especially Chrysler).

That said, Fafafooey, you're right... its the perception hurdle and some say that takes 5+ years to overcome even though the quality is there right now.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ford is really coming around, My next car will be a ford. I remember Bill Jr talking about the need for eco friendly cars when he was CEO and the naysayers shut that down. Now about their football team......

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is good news, but...

"When the Fusion hybrid goes on sale in the spring, it will cost about $27,000."

Why so much? That's a little pricey. I don't want to spend over about $18K on a new car. Glad the Fusion gets 40 mpg, though.

Oh, and is there a hatchback model? Need room for my dogs...

(Message edited by Fury13 on December 25, 2008)

East_detroit

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury, wait for the Ford Fiesta. I believe US will have a sedan and a hatchback and the price will be more to your budget.

Rumor:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/0 5/21/north-america-ford-fiesta -rumored-to-come-in-under-15k/

You can see it in the latest James Bond movie.

Ford Fiesta with ECOnetic diesel in Europe is getting about 65MPG right now. Not sure what the MPG will be for the US version (likely not diesel).

Probably more details at the Auto Show.

Fury13

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Who will be purchasing any new automobile when the middle class is all but eliminated? Those making ten dollars an hour, with a child or two or maybe an aging parent to support will barely be able to afford food and shelter. They will certainly be unable to afford a twenty seven thousand dollar car."

Those making $10 an hour often supplement their income by taking on a second, and sometimes a third, job. You do what you gotta do. But yeah, they're probably not going to buy a car that costs $27K.

Where's the Model T for the new century... a car that's basic, safe, durable, reliable, costs $12-15K and gets 40 mpg? That's what America needs.

Fury13

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_detroit, that's exciting news about the Fiesta! Looks great! Can't wait to see it for real!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

F: Yes!!
"a car that's basic, safe, durable, reliable, costs $12-15K and gets 40 mpg? That's what America needs."
Another "people's car", like the VW that served me well for half a decade in the late sixties/early seventies...

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great news. Some of the magazines that tested the Fusion got an even higher MPG rating. Now if they can just get the Fiesta *and* the Ka over here, they'll be well placed to make a strong recovery.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 703
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This TopGear Ford Fiesta review is great fun to watch. More car reviews should include car chase scenes inside of malls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =uUkPy1GB9ok

East_detroit

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's not immediately apparent that the Ford Fusion would be more reliable than the Toyota Camry, but it is, and the Fusion is one of the more reliable family sedans on the market."

http://rumors.automobilemag.co m/6426888/news/ford-dominates- special-list-of-consumer-repor ts-recommendations/index.html

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9105
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where's the Model T for the new century... a car that's basic, safe, durable, reliable, costs $12-15K and gets 40 mpg? That's what America needs.

It went out the door when modern emission standards entered the picture..

Huraporta
Username: Huraporta

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Ford! Now over to Chrysler - why did they choose to hybrid-ize the Aspen and Durango? The logical choice would have been - should have been the Caliber! The Caliber is a great looking small car (although they could have done much better with the interior). People want hybrids with great gas mileage. Thats the direction the Big 3 need to take.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 707
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just bought a 2008 Saturn Astra...

Great car.

If I was going to spend $27K for a car, I'd probably be more interested in a TDI Jetta.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huraporta - Love my Caliber! What puzzles me beyond the "non-hybridization" of it, was basically the total lack of marketing altogether. Guess Chryslerebus was busy trying to unload all of the Jeep School Buses and suburban tanks.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the toughest and most respected auto writers in America, Jim Healey at USA Today, began his weekly car review with this line: "O.K., let’s just get it out there: The 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid is the best gasoline-electric hybrid yet." Healey goes on to explain why he likes it: "Simple. Fusion drives better. A car is, after all a driving machine … And there, Fusion is without equal among hybrids."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/ autos/reviews/healey/2009-02-0 5-2010-ford-fusion-hybrid_N.ht m

Ferndaleguy76
Username: Ferndaleguy76

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's actually the Ford Ka that's in the new Bond movie. That's what I *really* want Ford to bring here. I'm really excited about the Fiesta and Fusion Hybrid, too.

Keysrock35
Username: Keysrock35

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

huraporta, I dont think people give a sh** if a car is a hybrid, they just want good gas mileage. people want big cars, but fuel economy stands in the way.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over time ,people will see the need for a good used car.And we will sell them to you.It's been a long but good week in the used car biz.I'm tired,and we'll do it again next week.Stay frosty.

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hybrids are important.... for marketing. hybrids make up 2% of the market. But toyota's hybrids give them a free pass on everything else they make. How else can you explain eco-car sites reporting on new trim levels (no effect on fuel economy) on the toyota tundra, which by the way gets worst in class fuel economy.

It's funny listening to congress and the media you'd think that GM or Ford sales would be so much higher if they had more hybrid models, but the reality is no one buys them.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"hybrids are important.... for marketing."

Are you in the industry? If so, that's the mindset that got the industry to the point it is today. Anyone who can't see that hybrids are going to be the standard for future vehicle development has got blinders on. In 20 years, hybrids will probably be replaced by some other technology but going forward, the number of hybrid cars is only going to increase.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3260
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detmsp, Excellent post.

Spot on, The Asian car companies have convinced the American people they are somehow more ecologically responsible, when in reality they are doing the same dam thing.

Novine, "20 years" ago was not that long ago and the reality is we're still building the same car in principle. To say hybrids may be replaced by then is probably inaccurate. The truth is they will probably be dropped by then. There seems to be this vein of logic that there is another methodology of vehicle propulsion, we just have to discover it. If we throw enough cash we will find it. I think we're using it. There are alternatives, but none are as practical as the petrol burning, reciprocating I/C. Plain truth. And it was true a hundred years ago.

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novine, that is not the mindset that got the industry to the point it is today. The mindset you speak of is "hybrids aren't important because they won't sell enough". Maybe I didn't make it clear, but I do think they are important... important for marketing. they make people feel good about your company. and they allow you to do things like market your worst-in-class gas mileage SUV with tag lines such as "And it's from Toyota, the leader in fuel efficiency!"

Hybrids just aren't worth the cost and complexity so I don't think you'll ever see them become mainstream. There is a reason that hybrids sales are even more miserable in Europe than they are here in the US. clean diesel and electric cars (note that an electric car could be plug-in, fuel cell, etc) are better solutions for the future.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.