Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Public Schools « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Studious1
Username: Studious1

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any information on how the Detroit Public schools compare to other comparable districts nationwide?

The 6 poorest cities are (according to http://dcjobsource.com/richest .html)

Miami
Newark
Cleveland
Detroit
Buffalo
St Louis

I would suggest excluding Miami: MIami Dade is one of the biggest districts in the country and serves some very wealthy communities, not just the city of Miami.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 362
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares about the others?
The fact that year after year they seem to get worse and the leaders can't (or won't) get it together.
The children are being poorly served and they are the future of the city and society. Pathetic.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Miami is the poorest city in America? I would not have expected that.

Studious1

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daddeeo,

the reason I care about "the others" is that it may be the only valid way of rating this district. If these other cities have schools that do a better job with students with similar populations and resources then the Detroit board of Education may not be doing a worse job then their peers in other districts.

But if they get significantly worse result then other similar districts, then its probably fair to say that they suck.

Studious1

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I was very surprised to see Miami listed as the poorest.

The ranking, including the percentage in poverty, is as follows:

Heres another list that ranks Detroit the poorest.

1. Detroit, 32.5

2. Buffalo, 29.9

3. Cincinnati, 27.8

4. Cleveland, 27.0

5. Miami, 26.9

6. St. Louis, 26.8

7. El Paso, 26.4

8. Milwaukee, 26.2

9. Philadelphia, 25.1

10. Newark, 24.2

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's fair to say that they suck either way. The fact that some of their peers in other large cities might suck too doesn't make them suck any less.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 143
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city of Miami proper is pretty poor. All of the people with money live in Miami Beach, Bal Harbour, Coral Gables, Miami Shores, and Ft. Lauderdale on up north. There's only one enclave downtown & on Key Biscayne with money and they're all house poor.

The city of Miami proper is home to tons of immigrants, legal and illegal. Remember that once a Cuban reaches the US soil, he/she is legal. So, you get a lot of people who have fled their countries in South America and the Caribbean (a lot of Haitians in Miami) and they make minimum wage, if that. Plus, you have immigrants who don't work, but are counted in the census.

and yes, their educational system is just as bad as ours. But they've got to deal with the "spanglish" problem. Kids who speak Spanish at home, speak horrible English and end up learning nada.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That makes sense, but still--the poorest city in America? I thought Detroit invented politically isolating poor people and social problems so we wouldn't have to deal with them. I thought we had that down to a fuckin' art. And here come these coke-running, swamp-dwelling upstarts and take it all away from us. How...disillusioning.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha. We invented it, they perfected it. What better way to ignore someone if you don't understand them? You've got people speaking all types of languages down there & if you don't get them, oh well. c'est la vie.

Studious1

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason I brought up other similar cities is that I believe that almost all the research shows (Im not an expert, though I do work for a school distrtct, Dearborn) that the community a district is in correlates a lot more closly to student acheivment then the policies and actions of the local school board.

This is a depressing conclusion. I do not doubt for a minute that the Detroit board of education is composed of self serving incompetants. But even if they were incredibly sharp and altruistic, its very possible that Detroit would have poorly educated graduates.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.