Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Watch those vacant lots « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Staticstate
Username: Staticstate

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

apparently people dressed up as parking attendants here in Milwaukee charged people 10 bucks a car to park in a vacant lot near the Bradley Center for a concert. The police later came along and ticketed the cars for parking illegally, totalling like $4000 in fines.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/20 08/12/16/Parking_scam_victims_ get_tickets/UPI-18981229481240 /

anything like that ever go down over there?

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2834
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We invented that - Oh, about 1836 or so.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, this is one of the more common scams in the Comerica Park/Ford Field area. Caveat lacunam emptor.

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've always wondered how to tell if they're legit. a few times i've been late for a show at the fox or for a concert and just been like fuck it, i'll park here.

but yeah, there have been times where i just know that i'm basically paying them to not break into/fuck with my car.

this isn't exactly the same thing, but one time i was going to see nick swardson (hysterical) at the fox, and parked on park street just south of montcalm. I got out and started walking in and a parking guy (i think he was legit) said "hey you can't park there you'll get a ticket." i looked and saw that i had parked in front of a driveway. he pointed out a parking spot half a block up and i thanked him. when i got out of the car again he basically asked if i was going to thank him with some cash. i told him i didn't have any cash on me, which was true, but he started walking me in to the theater. he told me i should go inside to the atm to get some cash. he didn't have a ticket so he didn't follow me in.

anyways, a couple of hours later my girlfiend and i were walking back to my car, and the guy was waiting at my car. he asked if we'd gotten the money and i was like sorry no and we got in the car. as soon as we got in the car he started freaking out and kicking my car. i backed out and as i was driving away he threw something at my car and was screaming calling us bitches and trying to chase my car.

never a dull moment in the d.

(Message edited by ruxy17 on December 17, 2008)

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDIV did a story on this a couple of years ago. I think WJBK did a story on this too.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2087
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"we invented that"

rotf,

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2836
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like the shakedowns at the old Eastowne concert venue we put up with every weekend. First it was the cops (take), then the neighborhood kids (take), then the tow truck guy, (take). What we had left, we spent on the smoke, (give). And I didn't see Cc there, congratulating the entrepreneurs for their fine American spirit.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4386
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not so sure you'd get a ticket for that in Detroit; if that's the case, I'd rather pay someone who doesn't own the land rather than fund the surface lot owner, especially if his name is Mike Illitch.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 893
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Staticstate, the most aggressive attendants I ever came across were the guys with the huge flashlights at the old County Stadium a couple of yrs before the new park opened. They seemed to be yelling at every car for no reason. Did those clowns move to the new park?

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 969
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I didn't see Cc there, congratulating the entrepreneurs for their fine American spirit.
------------------------------ --------------------

LOL!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.