Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Youthville « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14912
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot find anything in the archives, but after listening to yet another excellent DetroitToday show, I'm compelled to start this thread.

I've become quite impressed with every aspect of this structure and group.

Started with my travels past it on bike or bus, with time enough to gander and gaze...I always noticed one fellow in there late cleaning everything up, this guy really is a worker.

Place always had a shine to it that could be seen from the street.

Not long afterwards I got inside, and found some of the most unique solutions for an adaptible space...between the trough running through the hallways for future easy running of technology wires, to the sliding walls that can convert the large first-floor space into smaller rooms.

The building is one of the most thoroughly engineered spaces I've been able to study casually.

Then I started observing the people who run it and realize they are some of the best people I've met in the city...very dedicated to the children, the neighborhood, the city, and the future.

Today's installment of respect and admiration came from their technology expert, who spoke of the production studio they built there for HDTV...the first I've heard of for instructional purposes in the city. Thanks again, Craiggy, for illuminating another sparkling gem in our fair city. (DSA has a few for sound, but not video. Next up, interview Dr. Denise Cotton with her amazing work there!)

Amazing things will be coming out of that orange and silver building. It is SO great to be in the midst of all the energy from those children when they're about; they are as well-behaved and polite as the ones I've met from the Detroit School of the Arts near Orchestra Hall.

Kudos to all involved with these efforts.

Sincerely,
John

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14913
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link!

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for starting this thread. It seems that none of these posters have a desire to talk about (or have any knowledge of) some of the (few) positive things that are prospering in this city. About four years ago, I did a little construction inspection for the buidling when it was being renovated.

Developing the youth of the city to be well-rounded and educated is AT LEAST as important to the revival of the city as million-dollar projects and electing effective public officials.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 477
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It seems that none of these posters have a desire to talk about (or have any knowledge of) some of the (few) positive things that are prospering in this city.

Master, that is really not a fair statement. Not accurate either.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2752
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least he found SOMEthing to be critical about.

I saw this place the other day and was wondering about it, then heard the Detroit Today interview. It sounds excellent! Its visibility and the vibrant energy that is apparent from just looking at the building and website are a sign of great leadership in the very important cause of youth development. It really looks like they are rebuilding the broken circle that leads to a better community.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 451
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds interesting, I checked out the link you supplied. Always enjoy positive information.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 364
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They got a good online radio station on that web site.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.