Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Good neighborhoods for christmas light viewing? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's snowing pretty good outside and supposed to again this weekend. Got me thinking, it'll be a lovely white christmas.

i have the best memories of driving around christmas eve night growing up in royal oak, looking at the christmas lights melting little holes in the snow. we always had to visit the crazy house on twelve mile.

what are some good streets/neighborhoods in the city proper that make for a pretty drive?

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 415
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Royal Oak, I live a block away from the Unger family at 12/Washington. Every Christmas, this one included, they decorate their home to the max. I can see the top of their tree, which they decorate (in the middle of summer can see the lights they never take down) from my home where a star is on top. I love it.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2097
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The house on the corner of Washington Street at 12 Mile Rd. in Royal Oak always sports a huge Christmas lights display. Found this photo on Flickr...just to give you a taste of the amazing light show: http://farm3.static.flickr.com /2346/2155299184_d5f2da69b3.jp g?v=0

A drive along Lakeshore Drive and out East Jefferson into St. Clair Shores is always nice. Not as many lights as in the past, but still nice to see.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2098
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Dtowncitylover!! We know where it's at!!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5978
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lakeshore Drive in the Grosse Pointes is a good drive. There's several dazzling houses lit up. The Van Elslander mansion (north of the GP Yacht Club) and several neighbors are nicely lit up. As is the house on the corner of Lakeshore and Moross.

One neighborhood farther out is the Villa Di Fiore neighborhood in Clinton Twp... on the south side of Millar Dr. between Garfield and Moravian (1/2 mile north of Metro Parkway). They always have a dazzling show in that posh sub (with houses up to 10,000 sq. ft. in size). It's the sub with the massive entrance gates (but not guarded).

(Message edited by Gistok on December 16, 2008)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall a 6-8 block stretch of a street in Rosedale Park that was done up really nicely last year. Probably 80% of the houses in that area had some sort of lights and some of the displays were fantastic.

I dont remember the street,and Im not familiar with that neighborhood...just attended a holiday party there.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 664
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lakeshore drive seems to be getting less and less impressive over the past 3 years. fewer houses are decorating. I haven't been over there this year (yet), but I was really disappointed last year. If you're on the east side, you have to drive down Milar and check out a couple of those subdivisions! beautiful displays

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5982
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor56, the 2 houses just south of Verier on Lakeshore that had the "retina burning" red trees is sadly missing this year.

I don't remember the VanElslander house being lit up last year, but this year it once again is in full dazzling display.

Often some of the best lit houses are on the streets going off of Lakeshore Dr.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 666
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget downtown Rochester as well. The buildings are decked out in lights upon lights upon lights.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.