Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Electric-engine bus a boost for Livonia « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the FREEP:

Gregory Fisher, CEO and founder of Fisher, along with family members and other investors, teamed up with Autokinetics Inc. of Rochester Hills to build the bus, which weighs less than regular mass-transit buses and promises to get 10 to 12 m.p.g. -- more than twice the fuel efficiency of the average hybrid transit bus.

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081216/BUSINESS06/812160341

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of ironic, isn't it, building buses in Livonia?

All intra-regional rivalry bullshit aside, though, it's good to see this kind of thing come to the metro area.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 311
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Detroit was too far away to build a transit vehicle. Where is Livonia again? Seriously.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You all on this thread need to get over your dislike of Livonia and stop bashing it. Spend your time on something more important. There are far worse places to live, and to direct your anger at.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wait, i thought fisher 21 on piquette was being used for this project?

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You all on this thread need to get over your dislike of Livonia and stop bashing it. Spend your time on something more important. There are far worse places to live, and to direct your anger at.

I'm not bashing, necessarily. I just think it is ironic that a city that made such a big show of rejecting mass transit landed a factory that builds mass transit vehicles. It has nothing to do with "anger" or how good a place to live it is.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe if Detroit's leaders would wake up and create a competative and pro-business environment, Detroit could attract some of these new businesses.

Instead, we get social service agencies, HUD housing developments, strip malls and check cashing stores.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livonia is trying to keep it's head above water, just like any other city around here...diminshed tax revenue, home forclosures, job loss, etc. We should be happy this plant is anywhere in this state and not down south with the good ole boys.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The busses themselves should be appluaded, regardless of where they are built.

quote:

The average transit bus with a traditional engine costs about $350,000 and gets about 3 m.p.g., the company said.

quote:

10 to 12 m.p.g. -- more than twice the fuel efficiency of the average hybrid transit bus.

The story, all by itself, is a good one.
quote:

Gregory Fisher is the grandson of Alfred J. Fisher, one of the original Fisher brothers who formed the Fisher Body Co. in Michigan in 1908.

Isn't this a good thing no matter what?

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, this is a good thing. I was also under the impression that they were using the Piquette plant.

But regardless, this is exactly the kind of investment we need to attract as a region- forward thinking businesses. If they have to be automotive, then at least make them electric/hybrids.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one is concerned about so many of your tax dollars being dumped into this proposed deal? Personally, I can't think of a more hare-brained scheme. If the propulsion system works (big "if") every established bus manufacturer will have the technology and the upstart will be out of business in the blink of an eye.

And, don't those promoters read the papers? Do they really think it's possible to make money in manufacturing in MI? There's not enough tax breaks in the world to make that happen.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of the economics of the deal, I've got to second Bearinabox's post on the irony of it. Livonia votes out bus service a year or two ago, but then welcomes a bus manufacturer with open arms a few years later. If SMART buys some of their buses will Livonia allow the buses made in their own city to operate in their city?

Blt
Username: Blt

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad to hear about an electric bus.

I ride SMART and DDOT everyday and I'm grateful I can do something to help the environment by using public transit. An electric bus would make me feel even better. Hell, I just might toss my damn car for good.

Who cares that it was developed in Livonia. Yes, it's ironic but it's better than whatever backwards (or at least controversial) vision there is for the Big 3. Livonia just dipped into the future for this project.

BE GLAD!

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 687
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God's loving kindness that is given undeservedly establishes the human being's self-esteem independently of achievements.

It’s only 600 days in most of Wayne and Oakland and all of Macomb counties when we will be again asked to help support the charitable cause of helping the elderly, handicapped and the low income on our property tax bill.

A No vote simply means you do not want to increase your property tax for SMART. A YES vote means you support an increase, if requested.

SMART will not shut down regardless of your vote.

So, please consider supporting Operation Bring Back SMART to Livonia and Southeast Michigan to protect and increase all funding for SMART, if you please.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 952
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Trainman, good to see you back in form again. It got kind of boring around here without your stumping for your cause!

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 405
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah, Detroit was too far away to build a transit vehicle. Where is Livonia again? Seriously.

If they were locating in South Lyon or Wixom you'd have more of a point - but it's not going to be, and you don't. Based on the article, I suspect they've found an existing facility to meet their needs. The plot of land they cite (old racetrack, now a commerical development) has several large warehouses on it.

Actually, reading further, I found speculation of their future address:

http://www.loopnet.com/propert y/15551607/28501-28505-Schoolc raft-Rd/

Chances are good that's where they'll end up?
quote:

No one is concerned about so many of your tax dollars being dumped into this proposed deal?

That's just how business is done these days. If Livonia, Detroit, etc. didn't offer the tax incentive, someone else would. Next thing you know, they're in Tennessee (who was also bidding on landing the company according to the article). Tell me your preference: tax incentives plus 1,000 jobs, or nothing at all?
quote:

If the propulsion system works (big "if") every established bus manufacturer will have the technology and the upstart will be out of business in the blink of an eye.

You're suggesting that the technology probably won't work - but at the same time suggesting that if it does, it's a trivial matter for all competitors to implement.

From what I can tell, they've got a solid technological basis for their new bus. The key is weight reduction; from their website:
quote:

The single most important factor for improving the overall efficiency of a hybrid transit bus is weight reduction. Starting with clean sheet of paper, the new Fisher Bus has achieved a 50% reduction in Curb Weight over competitive 40’ bus designs.

From http://www.fishercoachworks.co m/bus40.htm

...recently, it passed major structural tests:

http://www.fishercoachworks.co m/news.htm

...and:
quote:

At this time, the company is nearing final assembly of its first fully operational vehicle, and it will soon be available for on-road performance testing. We expect that the bus will be brought to market with deliveries beginning in 2010.

From http://www.fishercoachworks.co m/about.htm

A big "if", eh? It sounds like they are close to having a prototype vehicle on the road. Did you even bother to investigate? I don't think a company gets a MEGA tax credit unless they can back up their business plan quite substantially.
quote:

Livonia votes out bus service a year or two ago, but then welcomes a bus manufacturer with open arms a few years later.

I suppose. Who knows, maybe this will be a catalyst to re-instating bus service? Then us Livonia residents will see our tax dollars at work when we see empty SMART busses again cruising city streets.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Then us Livonia residents will see our tax dollars at work when we see empty SMART busses again cruising city streets.

You could always try riding them. That is, after all, what they are there for.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You could always try riding them. That is, after all, what they are there for.

If I wouldn't have had to drive my son three miles to a SMART stop so he could have taken the SMART bus two more miles to Schoolcraft College, he would have used it.

Or, if I didn't have to drive the same son three miles to the SMART stop so so he could ride the SMART bus one more mile to work, he would have used it then too.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 315
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Zootyman, thats really interesting, Ever here of something called Altoona testing? Probably not, Look it up, it's pretty interesting. So there goes your all Your new fangled ideas. So add about 2 to 5 years on any release estimates for this project. And let Me make it clear that I just love DETROIT, And it deserves any new projects like this more than anywhere else, In My humble and educated opinion.

(Message edited by living in the d on December 18, 2008)

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More on the busses from MetroMode:

quote:

$7 million to fuel energy efficient bus manufacturer
Metromode, 12/18/2008
Start-up lightweight hybrid bus manufacturer, Fisher Coachworks, will invest $7 million in three Michigan-based manufacturing facilities and create more than 500 Michigan-based jobs.

The first 50,000 square foot “pilot” facility will be located in Livonia. Two more facilities are expected to come on-line within the next couple of years.

"The thing that really drove us to stay here was the investors, our advisers and the supply base," says Fisher Coachworks Founder and CEO Gregory Fisher.

Fisher Coachworks manufactures hybrid buses that get 10 miles a gallon. Most hybrid bus systems claim 4.5 miles a gallon, Fisher says. An average city bus gets a measly 3 miles a gallon.

"Initially we want to get these to Detroit, Lansing — the Michigan area," Fisher says. "Then to New York and the entire country."

This mass transit hybrid will have a positive impact on the transit system, but will also create jobs — 539, according to the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC).

The MEGA board recently approved an $11.3 million state tax credit for Fisher Coachworks. Fisher Coachworks was also considering a location in Tennessee.

http://www.metromodemedia.com/ innovationnews/FisherCoachwork s0097.aspx

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 316
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, The problem is, Moore's Law does not apply to Transit Buses, At least not yet.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 406
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ever here of something called Altoona testing? Probably not, Look it up, it's pretty interesting. So there goes your all Your new fangled ideas. So add about 2 to 5 years on any release estimates for this project.

Right, because I doubt the designers of the bus realize that they'll have to pass regulations before their bus is road-worthy. For the record, no, I was not aware of Altoona testing by name, but I do work in the automotive crash test industry, and understand a thing or two about regulations.

If you know something we don't, enlighten us, but your continued negativity without actual evidence is unwarranted.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.