Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Hannan Memorial YMCA on Jefferson « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitderek
Username: Detroitderek

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it opened in 1927 but does anyone know when it closed? Picture here if you're interested:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3005/3107249199_15c70c3f3c_b. jpg

Thanks again to everyone here for their help.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It closed sometime in the mid to late '70s I believe. I went there for swimming, judo, and other lessons when I was a kid, and remember it well. It was a nice building inside back then, with a lot of dark woodwork and old brass fittings, and a big tiled pool and gyms. It was used afterwards for several years as a job training center of some sort, and maybe for substance abuse treatment.

(Message edited by eastsideal on December 15, 2008)

Renf
Username: Renf

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is just a little more info here about
the Hannan Memorial YMCA on East Jefferson.

http://www.detroit1701.org/Han nan%20Memorial%20YMCA.html

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The copper roof came up missing 5 years ago this month. There was a Homeland Security sign on the building at the time.

The Lee Plaza roof dissappeared about a week prior to the YMCA.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsideal and I share the same recollection of the Hannan YMCA. I played a fair amount of paddleball there in the late 60's. It was a pretty busy facility back then and a nice facility too. Street parking was no problem.
The Grosse Pointe Indian Guides were sponsored by the Hannah YMCA or at least that's where we paid for our campouts since the Guides utilized YMCA camps,and we also bought Indian Guide headbands, feathers etc. at the Hannan Y.

I think it was in the early 70's that I stopped off on the way down to the office one morning to turn in our checks for a forthcoming campout. The Detroit police were there in full force, yellow tape was being erected in the lobby and I was told that no one could enter the building because the night desk clerk had been shot.
End of story, and end of our affiliation with the Hannah Y. End of paddleball, too. So sad.

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you read RENF's nice link you see one of the problems Detroit has that is easily fixable. Unlike Buffalo or other places there is no easy website where someone can simply plug in an address and find out who the owner is -what the sq footage is and in some cases info on condition prior sales. Therefore the author can only guess at the owner

maybe a quick email to treasurerweb@co.wayne.mi.us could help.

Having said that - has anyone been inside this building lately? Anyone know the condition? Is there a gym- pool ?

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've found that even if you go downtown to find out about a particular building or lot often the best the city can do is guess at the owner. Property records in Detroit have been in complete disarray for years.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 725
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lee Plaza roof dissappeared about 2 years ago, not 5.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 972
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I almost drowned in the pool there jumping too far away from the edge. I caught someone's leg who was holding on to the edge but he shook me loose. Next, I began shoving off the bottom to get a gasps of air. Every time I did that, I wound sink down a few feet closer to the shallow end. After surviving in this manner, I coughed for 24 hours. The lifeguard was reading a newspaper.

The other thing I remember about the Hannah YMCA was what a joy it was to run on the banked running track above the gym.

There seemed to be a lot of rooms rented there but I never came across any of the renters.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.