Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Superman Ice Cream..it's a Michigan thing? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone like Superman Ice cream? Nothing is better than a Hudson sandwich and a cup of Superman from Happy Cream. I have been reading that Superman Ice Cream is exclusive to the great lakes region mainly Michigan? Anyone have it anywhere else? I figured since it's named after big blue himself, that it would be pretty popular nationwide.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love superman ice cream!

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen it Ohio

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 458
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never heard of it before I moved to MI, and I haven't yet met anyone outside of MI who has heard of it, though I have seen similar-looking ice creams. What are the flavors supposed to be, anyway? Aside from red flavor, yellow flavor, and blue flavor, of course :-)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5031
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen it marketed as Rainbow instead of Superman.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8814
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can remember the very first time I even HEARD of the stuff.

My second-cousin Frankie used to run the family's corner store with a soda fountain not far from Vernor and Junction, probably the corner of Plumer. I can actually visualize the memory of being somewhere in the middle of catching the current Sargent Fury installment, while he got all excited over ice cream made out of Superman.

I stuck with plain vanilla, and he was bummed.

I wish I could remember how young I was then, might've been under ten, making that one of my earliest unburied early memories...so around 1973.

So Superman ice cream has been around since then, and the ONLY place I noticed it since has been at Happy Cream. Love those folks even IF they still like Kwhyme.

Cheers and thanks for the reminder!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5089
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hershey's Ice Cream makes and sells Superman at their ice cream stores.
Here's a link to their site.
Hershey's Ice Cream
Their headquarters are in Harrisburg, PA and they have stores all around the country. I know there's one at 21 Mile and Garfield as well as others around the state.

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wilson's Dairy, at W. Outer Drive and the Lodge Expressway, sold Superman ice cream when it was open (it closed in the late '70's/early '80's). That's the only place I ever saw it. Not that I miss it, I never liked it.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3305
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These days, don't they have to call it Non-Copyright-Man or something? :-)

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm partial to Scooperman ice cream, sold under the Meijer brand.

Not to be gross, but there's one odd drawback--
it turns the BM's turquoise. No lie.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3306
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know. That's pretty super. :-)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5091
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That could be a selling point for some

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When my daughter was little she had superman ice cream a couple of days in a row. A few days later she was in the bathroom and started crying and hollering for me to come in the room. She thought she was dying because her poop was bright blue! It was so funny.....

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man if it wasn't freezing i'd run by happy cream and pick up a scoop of superman whilst watching the Christopher Reeve classic Superman 2.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...too bad Bill Kennedy ain't around to do a voice over to promote the flavor.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Superman ice cream. Ray's on coolidge has the best

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Superman ice cream......fuckin a. I eat it by the pound with a wooden tongue depressor. I know everyone here knows what Im talking about.

And yes, I have turquoise poop afterwards. Blue food dye turns poo bright green. Every drink a bottle of Grape Faygo? Trust.

If someone wants to make some cash, they should make superman ice cream that turns your poo super man ice colors instead of just blue. That would be excellent.

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a Superman ice cream cone in the 1970s at the Lincoln Park Sears store. I got sick shortly thereafter. I still get repulsed whenever I see it.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3903
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never heard it called anything else. I remember getting it out on Belle Isle in the summer, at least I think we bought it on the island.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3309
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Copyright infringement and truth-in-marketing could both be dealt with by simply calling the product "Pooperman." :-)

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Possible slogans:

"I love the taste of pooperman on my tongue"
"Looks the same coming out as going in"
"Tastes the same going out as coming in"
"Superman ice cream: It will move your bowels, but it wont help with your legs!"

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Superman ice cream, but I just realized I haven't seen it for sale outside Michigan. Now I have a mission: locate Superman ice cream in the desert.
I think the first time I had the brightly colored stuff was on Boblo Island. Brings back memories...

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went to Michigan on vacation when I was a kid. I had Superman ice cream. I've never seen it anywhere else.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hubbardfarmer, I can relate! When I was a little kid, I remember stealing money from my mom's purse and heading to the corner market where I proceeded to buy a boatload of candy and a Superman triple scoop cone. I had to wolf the candy and the ice cream down behind the shed, real quick before I could get busted. Then I went inside in the house and projectile vomited bright blue all over the living room. I even remember it dripping down the TV screen. Blergh! Never touched it again.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 778
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My kids like it, I LIKE THE BIG TUB IT COMES IN.

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen it in other parts of the country but it is called by a different name. I can't remember what it was though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.