Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » St. Aloysius Church in Downtown Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Big_daddy
Username: Big_daddy

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stopped by this church for the first time. Mass was just getting out on Sunday. I went inside for a looksee. It's the strangest church I've ever been in. What is with the two "churches". There is a complete set of pews and alter on the main floor and a complete set of pew and alter on the lower floor. When I first walked into the church, I thought there was an orchestra pit. Upon closer inspection, there is a half circle opening behind the alter open to the "church" on the lower level. The priest sits behind the pit in his chair. What is the reason for the open area (pit)? Do they run simultaneous masses with 2 priests?, (sorry for not knowing all the proper catholic terms, I'm a cafeteria catholic).

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is actually one of the largest churches in the Diocese - measuring by seating capacity. People seated in the lower bowl have open site lines to the main alter, as do people seated in the galleries above the main floor on three sides. That is the purpose of the "pit."

I have often attended Mass there and have never noticed an altar on the lower level.

However, about 50 years ago, many churches were so crowded that Masses were said nearly simultaneously in two areas - the main floor church and a basement chapel. I know that was the case at Holy Redeemer, which had a full church on the lower level.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4753
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Jude also has a lower and upper church. The lower church was completed before the upper, so the first church masses were said there. Even before that, they used to say Mass in the gymnasium. In the forties when SJS was built, the church population was growing by leaps and bounds.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never seen another church with a design like St. Aloysius.....1. pews from the downstairs looking up. 2. The main floor with a "hole" in the floor looking up (I'll forgo the pun here) 3. the balcony with seats all looking down to the main altar.

do recall that there was a "mini" altar in front of the rail surrounding the hole on the main floor that was used for masses with a small attendance (circa late 70s)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2469
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I distinctly remember when downtown Detroit was both a vibrant business and shopping area, St. Al's conducted its annual Easter Tre Ore services, and the pews both upstairs and downstairs were PACKED. And I mean PACKED. There was even a crowd standing out on Washington Blvd. waiting just to get in. Several downtown stores were closed from 12 to 3PM, but you were expected back at your job at the end of the three hour service.
In later years, as folks and businesses left the downtown area, it became less crowded and up til about 5 years ago, the Tre Ore services were begging for parishoners to attend. I don't know how St. Al's is doing now. I wish the parish well.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 405
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a church in downtown Chicago that does that. Both that church and this church are run by the Franciscans.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6438
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a neat photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s nweb/217935994/

I've never seen a church like this. BTW, is the building next door the archdiocese headquarters?

(Message edited by lmichigan on November 22, 2008)

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 1970's I visited St. Aloysius a number of times and both the upper and lower levels of the sanctuary were in use. It was a beautiful sight to walk into the church during the day and have some meditative time, there were many candles lit in both the main sanctuary and in the lower. it was always a beautiful sight. Nowadays it's a bit disappointing as the lower area I believe is unused. Not only are there fewer people working downtown during the week but attendance at all older city churches is a fraction of what the attendance was years ago. I go there about once or twice a year now when I'm Downtown on a Sat. or Sun.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3578
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

their website blows.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.