Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » What are these Ponds for? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 645
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While looking at the State Fair area on google maps, I went south a bit and came across these two large ponds bordered by Dequindre, Modern, St Aubin, and the Davison. anybody have any info on what these 2 ponds are/were for? they look rather large and are near perfect rectangles.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&geocode=&q=detroit,+mi &sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=3 8.554089,79.277344&ie=UTF8&t=h &ll=42.412447,-83.079836&spn=0 .008412,0.027509&z=16&iwloc=ad dr

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3733
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Park water reservoir.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3750
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Park is one of the few municipalities with its own water system. We can thank master-control-freak Henry Ford for that (and, for that matter, for the existence of Highland Park in the first place).

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

god, how strange. I would be interested in finding out what they are also. I wonder if it would have to do with a brownfield clean up? It's definitely not for growing rice or cranberries. ha!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 646
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW talk about a quick response! They look like an urban oasis. Out of curiosity, does Highland Park still use the water, now that they are broke and under state receivership? I would imagine running and securing your own water system would be rather pricey.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3753
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They want to privatize it. That way, one of the poorest (if not THE poorest) communities in Michigan will have to pay a private company for their drinking water. Nice, isn't it?

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 434
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It never seemed very secure to me. Dequindre runs right along side of it

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3754
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard of kids going for a dip in it.

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent the first six years of my life living a couple of blocks from these reservoirs. I haven't thought about these in years! I always heard from my older siblings that kids would swim in it (seconding Detroitnerd).

The neighborhood is so decimated -- can't believe that there were blocks full of houses with families in that area, as well as businesses, not that long ago...

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3735
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps a private firm could operate the water system more efficiently and cheaper than the city could, saving a desperately broke community much needed money?

The security of the reservoirs is probably not an issue. The water held there is upstream of the treatment process and the quantities of contaminates needed to effect the consumers would be so large as to make it difficult to go unnoticed.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3756
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They always privatize the stuff for poor people, because middle-class people know better and kick up a fuss.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2143
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, these guys have never had a problem with the HP water

HIGHLANDPARK WATER DEPART

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3760
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, those are the Country Bob and the Bloodfarmers boys! :-)

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 603
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Country Bob and the Bloodfarmers are playing at the stone house saturdaynight

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 339
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The neighborhood is so decimated -- can't believe that there were blocks full of houses with families in that area, as well as businesses, not that long ago..."

Must not be that decimated...Bobby Ferguson just built a ton of street corners in that neighborhood. Some blocks have only five or six houses. Several don't even have sidewalks on the side-streets.

As for that recent stop sign on Dequindre at the church accross from the ponds, whose idea was that, and has anyone ever actually stopped?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.highlandparkcity.us /Services/Docs/2007WaterReport .pdf

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2526
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Park still had water during the 2003 blackout because of the their independent system.

go figure.

Swimmaven
Username: Swimmaven

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM says, "Perhaps a private firm could operate the water system more efficiently and cheaper than the city could, saving a desperately broke community much needed money?

The security of the reservoirs is probably not an issue. The water held there is upstream of the treatment process and the quantities of contaminates needed to effect the consumers would be so large as to make it difficult to go unnoticed."

I think we have seen how private firms do not make anything cheaper. And any water source should be secure. Although I think kids swimming in it would not count as a contaminate!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.