Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » CM Tree Lighting Fri Nov. 21 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4874
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.campusmartiuspark.o rg/img/2008Tree_Lighting_Poste r.pdf

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting this reminder, Pam. What a great way to kick off the Christmas season! That, and Noel Night.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What time do they actually light it?
...around 7:30 I guess?
Is there an exact start time, like the fireworks have? (i.e.: 10:06pm)?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8:00pm is when the lights go on. In previous years it was closer to 8:30pm.

Motorcitydave

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I thought!... but this year I thought Channel 7's coverage ended at 8...(7pm - 8pm)?

Motorcitydave

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I FINALLY found it (the auto industry loan headlines have obviously pushed any articles in the News and Free Press off the main page, couldn't find it on either)...

"The tree lighting will take place at 7:55 p.m."
http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/18006415/detail.html

Originalg313
Username: Originalg313

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if WXYZ is broadcasting live from the event this year? I haven't been able to locate anything about it on their Web site. I think WDIV is only doing a WEB broadcast.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 643
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was really bummed out a couple weeks ago when I found out the date for the tree lighting was tonight! The girlfriend and I have had a really fun time downtown the last few tree lightings

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went there last night with two friends. We waited until about 7:30 and were freezing so we went to Foran's for a drink and returned to Campus Martius at 8:00 and waited another half hour-ish and the tree was still not lit so we gave up and left. While we were walking down Cadillac Square we could hear the crowd chanting "Light the TREE". I don't blame them, it was a nice event and a pretty place but the actual lighting was postponed too long IMO considering the weather.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...so we went to Foran's for a drink and returned to Campus Martius at 8:00 and waited another half hour-ish and the tree was still not lit so we gave up and left."

Maybe you had a couple too many at Foran's. According to my watch, it was lit at 8:15. By 8:30 I was in my car a few blocks away.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3089
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed!!! The lighting was scheduled for 7:55 but didn't happen until around 8:20 or so. Following dinner at the Bucharest Grill, we got to CM about 7:50, found a spot with a good view of the tree, and so only had to wait about 30 minutes, listening to Thornetta Davis and Kem. Then we headed to Foran's to warm up!!
Still an enjoyable time despite the wait.

(Message edited by Kathleen on November 22, 2008)

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 734
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen: We must have just missed you at Foran's.

I've posted a handful of photos from the tree lighting and more.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 507
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foran's was the place to be. I was there until 8pm and then headed out to watch the tree, then to lafayette coney. Did anyone else notice the sound or lack there of @ CM?

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2958
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I was really bummed out a couple weeks ago when I found out the date for the tree lighting was tonight!

FYI - the tree lighting is always the Friday before Thanksgiving. You can plan for 2009 accordingly.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3091
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Fishtoes, for sharing the photos! I see Gannon in the background at Ephs! We didn't even think to stop by there...after hitting tbe Bucharest and Foran's!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.