Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » 8 Mile/Woodward « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 401
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to know more information about the plot of land above State Fair Grounds. My aunt, who is a social worker for state and works the east side, said she used to have clients along Colton, Winchester, and Alameda Sts., the former streets of that land. When did all those house go down?

Due to the economy I don't expect the Shoppes at Gateway Park to open up anytime either, eh?

And if there is already a thread about this, please link me to it. Though, I could not find one.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told there was a small neighborhood, including a bar, on that spot of land.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Detroit neighborhood mostly made up of small frame houses on several blocks there, isolated from the rest of the city on the south and east by the fairgrounds. Much of the housing became abandoned over the years, and I believe it was cleared out some time in the '90s. There was also a small commercial strip on Woodward there, including the famous (or infamous) Last Chance Bar at the Woodward - 8 Mile corner.

Eastsideal

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The neighborhood can be seen at the bottom of this 1981 aerial picture of the area:

http://techtools.culma.wayne.e du/media/wayne/1981/17562-11-3 08.pdf

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 1980's the plan was to turn that corner into a State Campground. That was the original intent of breaking out the bulldozer. After the bulldozer leveled everything, nothing ever happened.

Cooper
Username: Cooper

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Blog has a great post on the State Fair neighborhood:

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p= 405

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The campground concept was during the Bernie Lennon years as State Fair Director, dont know why it never happened. I think it may have been cut when Engler was elected in 1990.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9235
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could such a fantastic idea as camping at 8- Mile and Woodward not come to fruition? Sounds like anybody's dream getaway.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be extremely pissed if a government, paid for by my taxes, showed up at my door and told me my entire neighborhood was being bulldozed for a campground. That is just insulting. It's the government holding up a huge middle finger to the homeowners. "We value you, your community, and your tax dollars so much, we think your neighborhood should be replaced with a big open field for people to put up tents on."

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always remember the Huge Neon AC Delco sign from this intersection. It was there for years.

Eastsideal

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By 1997 the streets are still there, but the houses are gone.

http://techtools.culma.wayne.e du/media/low_res/aerial_photos /wayne/1997/55739-20-49.pdf

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 435
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a small, super-poor, redneck white area. Mostly whites from Appalachia that came in the postwar years.

It was demolished for a campground per the grand plans of Coleman Young.

TONS of prostitution in that area in the 1980's.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 642
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

forgive me for being potentially stupid, but what are the three cross-hair circles in the middle of that last aerial shot? I know they are on the east side of the fairgrounds, but what are they? If you look at google maps now, it's one big dirt patch.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&geocode=&q=detroit,+mi &sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=3 8.554089,79.277344&ie=UTF8&ll= 42.441923,-83.117237&spn=0.016 817,0.055017&t=h&z=15

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, thanks you guys. Now even the roads are gone and replaced by, what else, wild flowerS and tall grass!

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can remember that neighborhood back in the early 80's when I lived in Palmer Park. It was very poor and I think largely white back then and the frame houses were deteriorated. It seems like the residents were happy when the city or state started buying them out due to crime, blight and traffic. I think there were incidents of sexual activity taking place in cars parking in the streets there and drug deals, etc.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3121
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

forgive me for being potentially stupid, but what are the three cross-hair circles in the middle of that last aerial shot?

12 back to back Softball/baseball diamonds. Softball city used to operate out of the fairgrounds.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 644
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahhh makes sense now. thanks!

Kensingtony
Username: Kensingtony

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor,those circles would be the softball diamonds of Softball City that were built where the late,lamented race track was.

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at Reliable Glass which was on 8 mile just West of Woodward. The Fairgrounds people purchased our commercial property and all of the residential property that our owner had in that neighborhood. It still pisses me of when I ride by and see that the old shop (which did huge business)is still a dirt lot.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 833
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was the site that DPS planned to build a mega high school using a portion of the $1.5 billion bond fund. The plans were scuttled amid public uproar over the hyper-inflated purchase price for the land.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.