Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » A Park in Midtown? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 616
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown has Campus Martius,
Corktown has Roosevelt Park
and Lafayette Park has The Plaissance,

What is Midtown's Park??

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3946
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny how everyone forgets about Cass Park.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 687
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peck Park

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 601
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always pass a small park on northwest corner of 2nd and selden. Its a haven for the homeless

(Message edited by ddaydave on November 19, 2008)

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 565
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a handful of parks in midtown, and there's a few more right outside it.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5484
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Park could be a great future focal point.

Midtown makes up for lack of formal park space with great public spaces in front of the DIA and DPL, and Wayne State.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 359
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parking lot bordered by Forest, Second, and Cass would be a perfect park. Wayne State has ample parking with the new structure on Forest.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6429
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suspect people forget Cass Park because before the Fisher, the district was very much a part of downtown. I'd always wished the area that is now Midtown would have had a Central Park-type park.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Tolan Playfield? I know it's kind of on the edge of midtown, but it is a rather large park and has great views of the skyline. It's no central park, but it is about the size of a city block.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 273
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

image,unbuiltdetroit

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3729
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is Midtown's Park??

Parker Market? :-)

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Park could be a really awesome place with some more development around it and some scrubbing.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3734
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greatlakes: Where is that image from?

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's from the "Unbuilt Detroit" feature that was in the old Detroit Free Press Magazine, October 27, 1991.

The "Central Park" is from an idea in the late 70s when Minoru Yamasaki (architect of NYC's World Trade Center and Detroit's One Woodward Avenue) and others envisioned a section of Woodward in Midtown closed to automobile traffic. Midtown would have been connected back to downtown Detroit by a short park covering over I-75. Schervish Vogel Merz also proposed creating traffic circles to provide visual anchors along the Woodward Corridor.

Though the "Unbuilt Detroit" authors are unsympathetic to the idea, such a park would have artificially limited space in Midtown (as opposed to the natural river boundaries of Manhattan), and that may have lead to higher density demand in the areas bordering the park as seen with the real Central Park.

(Message edited by GreatLakes on November 21, 2008)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3744
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a big fan of the idea either, but it's very interesting to know there's a collection of some of the fanciful plans that've been drawn up over the years. Thanks, GL. :-)

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would still love to see I-75 covered with a park, from Brush St. to Grand River, or 3rd.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3745
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see I-75 filled in -- so we can run a subway under Woodward. :-)

Motorcitydave

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for a midtown park.... maybe they could tear down University Towers, build more apartments on surrounding surface lots (like right across the street for example) to replace that student housing (and make it a little less Southfield-ish looking...lol)... and turn that property into a park!

(Message edited by motorcitydave on November 21, 2008)

Motorcitydave

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...haha... actually Detroitnerd, IF we were to go to a subway mass transit, then I would still like to see streetcars along woodward through downtown and midtown, and THEN have it turn into subway north of the Blvd. :-)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3746
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's funny is that property used to be a park of sorts. It was a track, because it was behind an athletic club that fronted on Woodward. Then it became the Vernor's factory. (Detroit has a long history of using park-oriented greenfields as sites for industrial development.) Then, after the company that bought the brand shuttered the plant, Wayne State University -- not an institution typified by forward-thinking new urbanism -- built a high-density residential tower surrounded by a huge asphalt parking lot fronting on Woodward.

It would be nice to see some of that land reclaimed for a park, but it would probably have to have a historic Detroit structure on it for WSU to consider using it for "green space." :-(

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3747
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCD: Now THAT is interesting, since it's usually done the other way, using above-ground transportation where it's LESS dense, then having it go underground where it's DENSER. Like how Boston's and Philly's trams go underground near the city center. At this point, I'd be willing to accept streetcars, though. It's nice to dream about a subway, though, and I sometimes wonder if the cut through downtown was ever intended to block a Woodward subway. (You know, "Hehehe, now they'll NEVER be able to run anything under Woodward!")

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 762
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Nerd-

Detroit could still have a subway under Woodward!

Subway systems typically run between 25 to 210 feet below street level.

Portland has the deepest subway in the world.

<313>

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3755
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Detroit313. However, one of the major arguments again public transportation, especially subways, is the cost. The deeper you go, the more it costs. And, the deeper the tube, the more elevators, escalators, etc. you have to have. Just because you CAN doesn't mean it's best.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.