Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Vote Detroiter as CNN Hero of the Year « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING /04/10/heroes.vaughn/index.htm l

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy smokes! She's my new hero! Forget Batman!

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 971
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to be like her when I grow up.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are like her, Cub..like when she started. You will get there!

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 602
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conservation of Charity

Thanks for posting this article. Viola Vaughn employs a concept that I have been toying with in my mind that I call "Conservation of Charity." I stole the concept from a physics concept called conservation of energy. It states that energy is neither created or destroyed, only transferred from one object to another. Using the conservation of charity concept, charity can be transferred to one person who transfers it to another person who transfers it to another person, and so on. This is basically what Ms. Vaughn did. She taught some young girls and they taught some younger girls who in turn taught some even younger girls, and so on.

I think this is best form of charity as it maximizes the power of charity beyond just the initial act. I don't know if anyone does anything like this here but it is a very good model to look at as it gets everyone involved in the betterment of the community, not just one group.

Thanks again for posting this article and I casted my vote for Ms. Vaughn.

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Done:-)

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cast my vote for Ms.Vaughn. What a remarkable achievement. I think she's needed back in Detroit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.