Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Bing campaign manager owes $147k in taxes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

News08
Username: News08

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave Bing's campaign manager Charles Beckham, a former city of Detroit Public Lighting Director, owes $147,773.95 in state and federal taxes, records show.

www.detnews.com/taxwatchdog

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2907
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he must of made a hell of a lot of money as a city servant to owe that much.

Ah, a former Coleman Young water and sewer sludge crook.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 510
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kind of got to wonder about Dave Bing's ability to make solid decisions based on this one. If you're going to have a campaign manager to represent you, wouldn't you want to know if they are people who would make you proud and if they have a shady background? I think that would be the first thing I would check. EGADS! What was (is) he thinking?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 748
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy is on a payment plan and Bing knew about it.

"Bing, who is running in a crowded Feb. 24 primary to complete Kilpatrick's term, was aware of Beckham's tax issues, spokesman Cliff Russell said. "Charlie Beckham remains a valued member of the Bing campaign team," Russell said."

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 406
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this is the same guy, he did time in prison for his involvement in the Vista sludge disposal scandal in the 80's. I know he's now paid his debt to society, but it does make one question Bing's judgment.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What sort of example does Mr. Beckham set for the Bing campaign? That if you are high enough up the hierarchy, you can ignore paying your taxes. Isn't that just what we're trying to get away from. Bing's campaign is dead in the water if he thinks he can go on with a tax derelict running it.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Beckham name is an important one in the city's political and business circles, which is why Bing wants him on staff. Charlie has been president of the Black Chamber of Commerce, and a founder of the African American Association of Businesses & Contractors, so he's been involved in the money that comes into businesses like Bing's. He's been the head of several city departments in the Young, Archer, Kilpatrick, and Cockrel administrations. He also did 2 years in federal lockup for his role in the Young-era sewage sludge scandal.

His late brother Bill was at the center of politics in Michigan for several decades, having worked on Sen. Hart's staff, served in cabinet departments under Pres. Carter, worked in the Young and Archer administrations, been on the Detroit school board, and headed New Detroit. The William Beckham Academy school on the east side is named for him.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 772
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He also did 2 years in federal lockup for his role in the Young-era sewage sludge scandal.

That alone should disqualify him. However, this being Detroit, it's probably a badge of honor.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew Charlie Beckham years ago and worked with him on a deal or two. The consensus at the time he went to jail was that he was taking the fall for CAY; if true, that doesn't say a lot about his judgment other than that he was loyal to a fault.

He's a very hard working guy and committed to the City. I applaud Bing for sticking by him and considering the big picture. It's to Bing's credit he hooked up with the brightest most committed guy around to assist him, even if the guy has a couple of warts. Bing's running, not Beckham.

My experience with Beckham was that he's very honest, a hard worker, very smart, and is respected by most business people in the City.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 481
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a DWSD employee, I worked with Charles Beckham too. He was head of DWSD for a short time. I met him personally when he came out to my job site and I thought highly of him for doing so. That being said, I was disappointed that he was part of the Feds case against CAY. Like someone else said, it was a matter of poor judgment on his part. I believe it's a mistake to have Mr. Beckham heading the Bing Mayoral campaign. It sends the wrong message. He did the crime and he did the time but it doesn't seem to matter that much to him to take care of his business with the Feds. If Bing is elected, he might find a spot for him in his administration. But to have him head the Bing campaign is wrong and an error in judgment on Bing's part.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Beckham is respected, and rightly so, in government circles in this region. He is highly knowledgeable when it comes to municipal operations. He has capably run several different departments under the last three mayoral administrations. The Vista sludge stuff is ancient history.

That said, $147K is a lot of dough when it comes to back taxes. Lots of people get into an occasional beef with the IRS over disputed tax bills. The filed liens are not conclusive of anything. But Mr. Beckham's liens seem more indicative of chronic taxpaying problems as opposed to an isolated dispute. Perhaps Mr. Beckham has a judgment problem that Mr. Bing should have avoided.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6421
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're supposed to hold politicians and their teams to higher standards. Regardless of how amiable Mr. Beckham may be, even the appearance of impropriety should be avoided. Let's just put it this way, in a city as big as Detroit, I'm sure Bing could have found (or can find) someone more appropriate to lead his campaign. Campaign management is neither a small nor inconsequential job. This does speak to Bing judgement, just as Cockrel's fines relate to him, and should be taken note of. Detroit has near zero room for error, anymore. If the Kilpatrick fiasco taught us nothing, it is that we should be much more critical of political candidates for local office. So, instead of offering apologisms for Bing, let him take his lumps like everyone else is forced to and see where he ends up.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing's credibility now much in doubt in this house.
KC's on his way.........

(Message edited by homer on November 18, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.