Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Main Street/Woodward/I-696 parcel back on the block - again « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9145
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everybody's favorite vacant lot is back in the news.

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081117/NEWS03/811170381/1005/ news03

quote:

Eyeing a prime vacant site in Royal Oak, one developer proposed a convention center, another suggested a hotel topped by condos, still another saw a car dealership under an office tower, and one even wanted to build an aquarium linked by a skywalk to the Detroit Zoo.
Advertisement

Yet, after three decades of on-again, off-again proposals, the vacant lot at one of metro Detroit's most visible sites is back on the block.

Bike4beer
Username: Bike4beer

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote for a strip mall with a Starbucks, Panera, Jimmy Johns, CVS and a Walgreens.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This ought to be a prime spot for development in a freeway-crazy city like Detroit, right on 696 and only maybe a mile from 75. Has RO put so many restrictions on it that nobody can do a project? Or what's the situation?

I mean, OK, right now not jack shit is going to happen, but this has been sitting around growing dandelions for a loooong time.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whose dealership? I remember a dealership on the corner of Washington and Woodward (a Ford dealer?), but unless it was a used car lot, the only thing I can think of was a block of retail buildings......

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3667
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forest Arcology? :-)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9146
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott, the city definitely has an interest in what goes there. They were all for Schostak's plans until went from a larged mixed-use building with office, hotel and retail space to a giant surface lot with an LA fitness in one corner.

I see they still have it on their web site. Their development sign at the location with the original rendering has been whitewashed.
http://www.schostak.com/newdev elopments.htm

I'd say RO got it right on that one.

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was on that spot in the 1960's? any help would be greatly appreciated. I think my dad bought a car there in '64

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dealership that used to be there was Matthews Hargraves Chevrolet. I find many of the proposals sort of comical. The parcel is really not that big to do much with. Maybe a small strip mall, an apartment building, but thats really about all you can do with it.

The cost of the land is most likely so high that it might take 50 years to recoup your investment. Hardly a worthwhile project to take on. I would suggest using it as a park or perhaps something that could compliment the zoo.

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many thanks Detroitplanner.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article incorrectly states that the dealership was torn down in the late '70s. It actually was open at that site at least into 1985. The state bought the land in Jan. 1986 (reference: R/W maps on MDOT website), because part of it was needed for the westbound service drive.

Detroitplanner: Of course there isn't a chance of it happening, but the land is plenty big enough for a towering skyscraper, not including parking of course. There are lots of very tall buildings with a ground area the same size or smaller than the vacant R.O. lot. There's enough room there to build a twin of the Penobscot if you really wanted to. It seems that any project these days, though, needs a huge parking ramp or surface lot immediately adjacent.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 299
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That site has been a comedy of errors for years.
The city has had $$$ in their eyes and it hasn't paid off. With all the lofts and condos that have clogged the downtown area, it's kind of nice to see that spot still empty.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote for a green space.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9293
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Green space would be great there.

And since we're tossing around ideas... would an Aquarium be an interesting thing to toss there with its proximity to the Detroit Zoo right across the street?

Again, just a thought without any regards to funding, building it, maintaining it, etc., etc.. Just food for discussion's sake.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 730
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A hotel with minor conference space would be ideal, especially once we have light rail up Woodward connecting this property to the rest of the world. The question is which will we have first: a development on this property or light rail cutting through Royal Oak? :-)

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 842
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The parcel is really not that big to do much with. Maybe a small strip mall, an apartment building, but thats really about all you can do with it."

This is a joke, right? 4.4 acres in an urban area is plenty big to do a lot of building. Ann Arbor just approved a 14 story development on a similar sized site on South University in Ann Arbor. The development was originally proposed to be 25 stories.

http://www.mlive.com/annarborn ews/news/index.ssf/2008/10/sho rter_trimmer_forest_avenue.htm l

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm, To answer your question, Jim Fresard Pontiac/Buick considered moving there about three years ago before they built the new buildings in Ferndale. The thought was to have the dealership as part of a parking deck/office building but they couldn't make it work financially.

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The City of RO shot themselves in the foot when they allowed the prior development of the condos on the north side of that site. It was 'phase 1' of a development that left too little land for the remaining program. Short sighted, and let the developer take the fast $$ portion of the project early on.

The land that is left is problematic. Not a very big parcel, and the city has to answer to public expectations (which they created in the first place).

Also, consider the voice of the residents of those condos.... they will be looking at a loading dock if the high-rise scenario ever plays out.

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the comparison with the A2 project.. the A2 building has very little parking, as it is geared toward student needs. Any business or condominiums have to contend with parking needs. And underground parking is 3-4x the cost of above grade parking.

The City of RO had a 'family' night on the gateway site this summer. They set up an inflatable drive in movie screen. Fun for all.. but I'm not sure anyone saw the irony...

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royal Oak needs a good hotel in the area.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be surprised if zoning would allow a tall residential tower on the site. Most Communities have pretty tight FAR regulations and will only deviate from them for the CBD. Even if you could build one, why would you? The market for housing stinks right now.

To be honest, Ann Arbor housing market stinks right now and is bound to get worse as more people are priced out of higher education. There can only be so many out of State students allowed at the school before the people of the State realize they are being suckered as the educators for the rest of the country and not getting any benefit from investing in it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.