Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Sustainable Neighborhoods « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 294
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to get some feed back as to which Detroit proper neighborhoods you all believe are already sustainable or on the right track towards stability.

For example would you consider the neighborhood surrounding Mudgies in Corktown sustainable? I would. What other comments regarding sustainable neighborhoods do you all have? Which are already there, which are close, and which neighborhoods have potential and can be considered up and coming?

www.DetroitArmy.com

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rosedale, university district, Sherwood, Palmer Woods, Midtown, Woodbridge, corktown, Hubbard richard, Hubbard farms, West village, Grandmont, Indian village, New Center commons, East english village Lafayette park and BE arden park... I am sure there are others that I would consider stable but this is a pretty good start... I feel that Boston edison is going south while I feel the others are remaining steady... potential would be in North corktown, Brush park connor creek, even areas such as brightmoor have the potential, but those are moving in the right direction but are not quite there yet.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 353
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I notice you mentioned Connor Creek. The area from Connor Creek to Fox Creek has had for years a very viable community organization called Creekside. I am attending one of their meetings this evening. I have been involved with this group for more than 15 years even though I don't live there. One hugh draw for the neighborhood are 4 wonderful lakefront parks. Creekside still has diverse housing and is an area steeped in historic signifigance (sp?).

Urbanoutdoors, your inventory of housing was very good but you overlooked Islandview Village as an area of historic homes and with some potential for a comeback.

We live in EEV, last year we had 13 vacant homes on our block alone. I am pleased to say that most have sold and we have gained great new neighbors.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Islandview Village. Stable and improving.

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where is islandview village?

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 531
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deandub, if you do not mind me asking, what do you mean by "sustainable?"

Recently, it seems like "sustainable" is a huge catch word. Typically, I have seen it used in the environmental context, where I imagine that it means something along the lines of promoting renewable energy and resources that will be sustainable in the long-term without damaging the environment. So sustainable could refer to a neighborhood's focus on the environment, urban gardening, etc.

Sustainable could also refer to whether or not a neighborhood can survive the blight that may surround it. (E.g., Boston-Edison) In that case, most of the decent neighborhoods in Detroit could be considered sustainable, since most are located quite close to blighted areas.

Anyway, just trying to nail down what we are talking about!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was very pleased to see new-construction homes in the neighborhoods surrounding Mackenzie High School; specifically the area bounded by Wyoming, south to Joy Road, west to Schaefer, north to Grand River. Over 32,000 people reside within the Mackenzie neighborhoods; yet DPS closed the school in 2007.

Unpredictability and questionable DPS leadership is killing Detroit's neighborhoods.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3927
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the non-historical neighborhoods that are relatively self-sustaining?

Majority of NW & NE Detroit (along with SW Detroit) are self-sustaining.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 336
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brightmoor? More like Blightmore. Not self-sustaining.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 357
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have friends dong re-hab in Brightmoor. Probably, will see them this week. I am not fond of their pitbulls however. Actually, most if not all Detroit neighborhoods have historic significance.

Perhaps EricC could correct me but Islandview Village is from Mack to the river and from two blocks east of the Grand Blvd to 3 blocks west of the Blvd.

Attended the Creekside meeting tonight. Good people, great neighborhood. Chuckjav may have something regarding the DPS. They keep trying to close Guyton which is one of the best schools in the city.

I would also like to thank Bluepointe restaurant for catering/donating a great turkey dinner. My only regret is I have a temporary front tooth and was worried I might lose it so I did't eat too much. Side note, I still can't believe a front tooth could cost damn near $2000.

After the meeting we went to Marshalls bar across the street. It gets my vote for best affordable bar in the city. Very user friendly and Ted the owner has got to be one of the sweetest people in the world. He was once a professional ball player same as John Brosnan and they had a friendly rivalry to the end.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas...Right-On.

I would add that, way back in the day, DPS was instrumental in sustaining segregated schools.

In as much, laying the foundation - along with other culpable parties - for violently troubled times in Detroit's formerly segregated neighborhoods, during the 1960s.

The rest...is sad, sad - totally avoidable - history.

Furthermore - if we are not careful in rebuilding Detroit - aforementioned history could repeat

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother lives on Hubbard , South of West Vernor . He's been robbed at gunpoint , assulted , had his house broken into. Great area if you want to live with steel bar gates , security cameras , dogs and guns .

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sustainable neighborhoods require a reasonable expectation that one's home will not be stripped while the owner is at work, the car can be parked safely in the street, the children can walk safely to an adequate school, and groceries can be purchased at a fair price nearby.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2236
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Brush and Lafayette Park?

River-town would apply, if any projects would come to fruition.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean_of_detroit....Lafayette Park, Elmwood Park, Campau Park - excellent examples of conscientious rebuilding efforts in Detroit; complete with good schools and thriving businesses.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 305
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosedale Park is still one of the city jewels.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3934
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it depends if we're talking about decent housing stock & density or architecture & significance/wealth.

If that's the situation, no neighborhood in Detroit is sustainable.

I don't really consider the historical areas "sustainable", because they're historical. If Boston-Edison or Indian village didn't have the wealth & big mansions, they would have porbably suffered the same fate as many parts of Detroit. Besides, Many of these areas have horrible grocers nearby & the schools are terrible.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on November 19, 2008)

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daddeeo...Rosedale Park is top-notch.
It is also another of Detroit's subcommunities that was ripped-off by the Board of Education; in this instance - when DPS shuttered Redford High School

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 339
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in Rosedale Park I find just about anything I would need. Within just a few blocks by foot there is a nice grocery store, two hardware stores, several barbers and salons, several dentists, several doctors' offices, three drug stores, two banks, several clothing stores (although not a men's store any more), a collection of carry-out restaurants, and a couple of coney islands. If I went out to 10 blocks, the list would be much longer. There are some things I'd love to see in the neighborhood, but all in all, I don't really HAVE to drive for much of anything.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

urbanize, you're argument makes no sense whatsoever.

A historic neighborhood can't be sustainable because without the historic homes, it wouldn't be sustainable????

That is absolute nonsense. A new low for your posts.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are few (if any) houses that are boarded up in Rosedale Park. You got solid, brick houses that have held up well.
Is Ward Security still patrolling north of Grand River?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3945
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone has yet to name a sustainable (working class) area besides the histroical neighborhoods.

Eric_c said Islandview Village (near Kercheval & Grand Blvd). I can vouch there & say it's sustainable (lovely neighbors & people who care about their homes). I also have relatives who live over there.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on November 19, 2008)

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise...Elmwood Park & Campau Park; relatively new sub-communities, nothing (currently) historical about 'em; both are doing fine & look marvelous.

PS These neighborhoods do have past historical significance; both within the area once known as the Black Bottom

(Message edited by chuckjav on November 19, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.