Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » The neighborhood behind Mercury Coffee Bar « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cycledetroit
Username: Cycledetroit

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know anything about the area behind the coffee bar? We are looking at a house at Dazelle and Wabash. Would this be considered Corktown still? Is it safe for me (a female) to walk my dog alone? Any help would be great.
Thanks!

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 177
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that is still part of Corktown. Corktown is considered to run West to 16th.
It is still a relatively safe area, especially considering most of the city. But that area has recently had some suspicious activity, along the line of drugs, catalytic converters stolen, scrappers. Also there are a lot of homeless, with Roosevelt Park and all, but all of Corktown has a lot of homeless(so does the city in general).
With the rise of the Mercury coffee bar they plan on clearing out some of the growth and crap in the vacant lots behind their building, and now that corner is seeing a lot of activity, which is a good thing.
I still like the area. If you're hesitant, look a little bit east to streets like Church, Leverette, and Labrosse.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends on the female & the dog. :-)

If you are 5'1" & are walking a yorkie... but swap that dog for a mastiff you would be safe anywhere!

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the upside you'd be walking distance from Slow's. If I lived that close I'd weigh 400 lbs.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a good street, especially if you get to know the neighbors. Reasonably safe as well. For example, I live right near there and I haven't committed any major violent crimes lately.

Cycledetroit

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I just dont know what we are going to do! We were going to move into a GREAT house in Hamtramck on Nov. 1st , then the lady said Dec. 1st, and today she said Jan 1st. We are basically starting the search all over again. If anyone knows of anything good email me at cycledetroit at gmail.com. We have 2 dogs. One 90lbs, on 25lbs. and 2 adults. No kids. We are looking for a fenced in yard and close to downtown.

Thanks!

Furnitureguy
Username: Furnitureguy

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they move in they move out, they move in they move out, they are excited, then bitter...lol and it goes on and on and on!

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 293
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have pictures of homes in that area? I've seen the neighborhood to the east, but can't picture what it looks like around the area you're referring to.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 657
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

move in to woodbridge

Cycledetroit

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We would LOVE to move to woodbridge, but it seems hard to get into. I dont see a lot of postings on Craigslist, and we dont know anyone in the area.
Plus, we want to keep it under 800/month... and I am not sure if thats enough to live there.

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it safe to walk from Corktown to downtown at night / safe to walk back again?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hubbard farms may be a more affordable route but I love living in Corktown. Wabash is a good street and is definitely coming around but it will take some time... The great thing about that area is proximity to Mercury/slows/LJ's and the likes of.... Also very close to Mexican town/hubbard Richard which also has alot to offer, plus you can't beet the proximity to honey bee... I will say this, you most likely will not be bothered if you have a decent size dog, but pick and choose times to go out. 5 am and midnight might not be great in that area but it is a nice area none the less. Another good thing about corktown is the support network, the neighborhood watch and the google groups and community meetings are great for knowing the ins and outs of the area.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some options you might want to look into:

Woodbridge:
http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e28183223

http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e28149884

New Center:
http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e28171557

The wife and I live in a condo and own a dog. The lack of a backyard forces us to take it on a lot more walks, which is a good thing for the dog as far as exercise and human interaction. You might want to look at these condos:

Midtown:
http://www.remsrealestate.com/ listings.php?ore_jump=view::li stings&property_id=645

Woodbridge:
http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e28134044

Brush Park:
http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e28185504

Since there are so many foreclosures out there, I strongly advise you to seek out a real-estate agent to guide you through the process. It will take a lot of the headache out of the process. I suggest Margaret Palmer: www.margaretpalmer.com.

Hope this helps...

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 362
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I currently have my house on the market. It is just up Michigan Avenue from Corktown (Michigan Ave-Livernois) It has a fenced in yard that is just under 1/2 acre with driveway parking. I am trying for a short sale, so you could probably get it pretty cheap. There is a link to it below. Neighborhood overall is so-so, but the immediate block and neighbors are excellent.

http://www.oconnordetroit.com/ properties/residential/3475_cl ip/1.htm

Druckfehlerteufel
Username: Druckfehlerteufel

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The prices are so low it makes me want to cry, but the taxes are absolute killers, especially considering the level of city services you (don't) get in the city.

Cycledetroit

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am having a large identity crisis! We signed a lease for a house in Ferndale. The house was everything we were looking for and it is 700/month. I really wanted to stay in detroit, but it seems like for 700, you can have a flat, or a house that needs a lot of work. I was surprised that for the same amount we can get a single family home in Ferndale, 3 blocks from 9mile! I promise I will not ever call 9mile downtown, there is only 1 downtown in my heart!!! I am upset, because I always told myself that if more people like us stayed in Detroit, that it would really help the city.. and now I feel like I am selling out! Its amazing what a driveway and finished basement will do to a girl.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Also there are a lot of homeless, with Roosevelt Park and all,"

You obviously haven't been over there lately. The police forced all of the homeless from Roosevelt Park a couple of months ago. I haven't seen so much as a panhandler in that part of town since. And I go to Slow's quite often.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3668
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank GOODNESS. Now it's safe for any of the more timid white people. :-)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say I wanted them gone, 'nerd. Trust me, as a Detroiter, I'm tough as nails. But the guy said something that was simply not true. There aren't a lot of homeless there; there aren't ANY homeless there.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3669
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, jeez, I didn't think you thought that. I'm just funnin'. :-)

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 658
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can find a 2 bdrm in the nice part of woodbridge (Avery/Commonwealth, from Merrick to Alexandrine) for $650-850. I just did.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2009
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk, they are all in the MDOT ROW along I-75 just N of Roosevelt Park now. The City won't do anything because it is MDOT's responsibility. Its really kind of sad and it makes me wonder how long it will be before MDOT does move them out. It looks like a campground.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice house, Billybrew. Such a bargain too. Good luck with the sale. Hope you're going to be sticking around.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live very near Junction Ave & I-75. For awhile, there was an encampment under the Livernois/I-75 overpass. Seemed sad, but i thought it was their choice since salvation Army just a few blocks away. Okay, the "homeless' campers don't want the restrictions that the Sallies would put on them.

However, pretty soon we realized that the "homeless" were marauders who were stealing every moveable object from porches, yards, garages, etc. for blocks around. They were knocking over old ladies coming from Holy redeemer church. They were running around on beater bikes grabbing purses in the CVS parking lot.

How do I know? Channel 7 did a news story on the people living under the overpass, interviewing some of them. The story told about how even DOT bus drivers were running drugs for them from a place on Clark Street. I recognized the faces of several of the bike riders and prostitutes working Fort St.

MDOT responded to neighborhood complaints and we learned that it isn't easy to move those people. They like living like that. You need to have social workers get a place for them. You need the police. You need special clean-up crews because they live without sanitation.

My conclusion: the homeless aren't harmless.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 363
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Swingline, Moved on up...to the East Side...West Village. I'm not leaving the D anytime soon.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hemmingway, nice suggestions. I love that first (creepy) one on lincoln .... $700 a year taxes too high???? shoot , so low i can afford to put in a real kitchen....LOL

Cycledetroit

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just an update. On our way home from Ferndale we decided that we really wanted to stay in the city and we had to look harder for a place.
I am VERY happy to say that we are moving to Corktown Dec. 15th. We found a great place on Labrosse. Corktown seems to be everything we were looking for, and we cant wait to get to know all of our new neighbors!

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the neighborhood, Cycle!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.