Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Michigan Winery in Detroit. Ever see these bottles? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These things have successfully pissed off three generations of women. My grandfather thought they'd make good living room decor in the fifties but my Grandmother didn't. My mother hated them growing up, and every girlfriend, ex wife, new girlfriend I've had has hated these bottles as well. I however think they're kind of cool. On the front they say "Valho" Sweet Lisbon Wine red grape wine. On the side it says Carvalho, Ribeiro & Ferreira and on the back the label reads Imported by Michigan Wineries, INC Detroit, Michigan USA. I've never seen anything like these wine bottles and I was wondering if anyone knew about Michigan Wineries or remembered seeing these as they were imported to Detroit. I also hope no one is offended by the racial characteristics of these interesting pieces.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty much narrowed down all the minority groups huh...

Cycledetroit
Username: Cycledetroit

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love those! Do you want to sell them???

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6883
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They look like they might have some value. I assume they're hand painted.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 2061
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet @ night they all step down off the shelf and party in the basement.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2850
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a Village People reunion.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's A Small World After All.

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 83
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I don't want to sell them. Yes they're hand painted, and the hats/headress run the gamut from plastic to pressed paper, leather, and felt. A few years ago at a party this girl walks into my living room for the first time and says "What the f*** is that the Village People?" So anybody ever see these or have any info?

Brienne
Username: Brienne

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I poked around the internet a little, and found some good information: Carvalho, Ribeiro & Ferreira is a wine producer in Portugal. I think the bottles you have are from the 1940's. An ebay posting from earlier this year listed a single bottle (native american bottle-style), but I couldn't find a price. Lisbon is the region of Portugal where the wine is made.

Here's a site with details about the wine and region: http://www.chefs-help.co.uk/wi ne5.php

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.