Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Buildings Painted Black « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bosch
Username: Bosch

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was exploring in the area west of Woodbridge down to Michigan Central Station and came across a building that was painted totally black. It was a meeting hall of some kind. It had some writing on it, I believe the word "Nephew" was one of the words on it. I think it was in the area of 14th St and MLK Blvd. I was driving and don't recall exactly where it was, but it was in that neighborhood.

I have seen other buildings around Detroit that were painted totally black, what is the significance of a completely blacked out building? They are pretty ugly and scary looking.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5154
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Biker clubs are often painted black.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, I know the answer to this one but cant find it.

Swimmaven
Username: Swimmaven

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's nephew art. The owner got their nephew to paint the building. As signed, "Nephew."

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 599
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought to myself all those motorcycle clubs with there buildings painted black would have to be hot as hell on the inside in the summer on a hot sunny day

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 474
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You can paint it any color, as long as it's black."

Dissolvedgirl3
Username: Dissolvedgirl3

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know exactly what you're talking about. It says like "President Nephew...Mista Sonny Day." Something like that. I've always wondered myself...over the summer, there were signs for dog food I think. I'm sure that doesn't help at all:-)

Bosch
Username: Bosch

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that sounds like the place, the writing was somewhat bizarre, I couldn't remember it. President Nephew, whatever that means!

If you happen to see it again, let me know what corner it is on. I tried to do the Google Street View thing and could not find it. I live about 3 hours away and don't know when I will have time to do some more exploring.

There is nothing all that spectacular about the building, it was just odd and I was wondering what it was.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.