Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Photos of Cooley High School « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the "cool"est looking schools in Detroit.

DETROIT STOCK PHOTOS
http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/d etroitstockphotos/gallery-show /G0000Bb03D7RMQes

(Message edited by sg_creative on November 15, 2008)

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! This school looks amazing! My Dad attended Cooley (graduated in 65 I think.)

This facility has got to be one of the best kept secrets in DPS.

If only they could replace that OLD football scoreboard...

Brougham
Username: Brougham

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attended Cooley 1969-71, didn't think much about the architecture back then. The focus was Peace-Love-Rock and Roll and stayin alive!!! Lot's of history happened in that time frame Vietnam, Woodstock, Moon landings, assassinations, Earth Day & on and on...but the these are great pics and bring back lots of memories, some good and some not so good.

There was lots of dark wood, marble, ornate fixtures etc. It looks largely unchanged if my memory serves me correctly. The auditorium was really cool and had to be among the best of the High Schools in the city. I remember seeing a preview of the movie "Bullet" with Steve Mcqueen there along with battle of the bands.

(Message edited by brougham on November 15, 2008)

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 285
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a gorgeous, gorgeous piece of architecture. How are the academics measuring up? My sister graduated there in `73.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3870
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos. Mackenzie HS was built about the same time using the same basic blueprint, but the ornateness of Cooley excels in every area by comparison. Seems like MHS was more 'bare bones' while using the same footprint and floor plan.

Interesting!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936....My thoughts exactly; I could pretty much close my eyes - at Cooley - and know precisely where I was going...thanks to my Mackite powers of awareness & perception.

PS Looking forward to a Cardinal Land return visit; must get inside the library.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 758
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking good Cooley!

My brother and cousins attended cooly in the late 80's early 90's

<313>

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful!

Reminds me a bit of Pershing, but prettier... similar blueprint like Mackenzie?

That auditorium is gorgeous!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jtf1972....GO DOUGHBOYS!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 696
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a beautiful school,They don,t build them like that anymore. My father went to Cooley before he dropped out to support the family. My 2ND set of parents graduated from there.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 363
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great memories of Cooley prompted by the photos. I can remember so many details of it 50 years after graduating. In the 50's it was a school that had a great Music Dept. dedicated and committed teachers, and was a joy to attend. No crime or violence and you could walk home after evening events and football games. The Athletic Dept. was fun for everyone and the Cardinals had some great seasons. The architecture was icing on the cake.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 365
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos...Cooley is a real architectural jewel. So is Dearborn Fordson.

A couple of people mentioned similar floor plans at Cooley, Mackenzie and Pershing. Mumford also has a nearly identical layout to those schools. Most of the "intermediate schools" that were built in the 20s and 30s are identical to each other too.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos...Cooley grad Jan 61(do they still have split semesters in Detroit?). Cooley is at
Fenkell&Hubbell. I lived on Ward Av 2 houses N of Fenkell. They did have an outstanding music dept headed by Mtr Aptekar & a great football team & rivalries against Redford & Denby. I remember going to the Goodfellows game at Briggs Stadium when Cooley was upset by little St Ambrose-how embarrassing! When the weather was nice would walk from home to school past Sam's Drugs. Stopoff after school for a chocolate coke. Thanks agin for the pics-go Cardinals.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.