Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » NYT: Economy Is Only Issue for Michigan Governor « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cooper
Username: Cooper

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The New York Times takes stock of our governor and dismal economy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11 /15/us/15granholm.html?hp

Cjd
Username: Cjd

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*bump*

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 572
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She did have a tough job, and still does. I think she will be remembered and judged unfairly when she leaves office.

Threecardmonte
Username: Threecardmonte

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She will be remembered as someone who had an incredibly tough job, but did absolutely nothing to rise above the circumstances. She inspired no one, was weak and indecisive when Michigan needed strength, and spoke of boldness when she wouldn't know it if it was a puppy dog who licked her on her chin.

Fifteen years from now, what will folks remember about Granholm? Cool cities? And I voted for her twice.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5650
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

History will treat her better than the present. She kept the boat afloat when others wouldn't have been able to bail fast enough.

Even Gov. Milliken has said she's doing ok.

Bosch
Username: Bosch

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would the NYT quote the Mackinaw Center for Public Policy? They are a total tinfoil hat society.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank God she's going to a federal position; perhaps she can bring down all the other states so that by comparison we don't seem so bad.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 765
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt she will leave the state for a job in the Obama Admin. The article even says is unlikely. She has done an amazing job considering the circumstances, and some day we will be able to look back and see that. This state would be messed up no matter who is in charge and we need to stop pretending otherwise. It's really been a 50 year perfect storm of events that have lead to today in this state. So to place blame on the current administration is a pretty tough sell.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 843
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the one area where the Governor has been too beholden to the "special interests" has been her inability/unwillingness to tackle the retirement and health care plans in the educational system. Not even the Big 3 enjoy the benefits plans that most in the public school system still have. $2 copays for prescription drugs? Only if you're a teacher. While I know that the MEA and co. are big supporters of the Governor and that many of these plans are the result of agreements reached with local school boards, the Governor should have stepped up and explained to the school people that the days of these kinds of benefits have to end. Even if the schools could afford them, which they can't, they simply aren't politically supportable when the people paying the way are seeing their own benefits cut.

I'm not an advocate of a race to the bottom and I do think teachers should be provided with decent health care plans and retirement. But those need to reflect the economic reality of the state and the financial condition of state government. We can't afford those plans anymore. State government workers and many local government workers have already taken cuts in benefits and retirement to keep things afloat. The Governor has missed an opportunity to use her position to explain to the teachers and school staffs why the time has come to share in the sacrifice.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.