Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Good Burger in (Metro) Detroit « Previous Next »
Archive through November 15, 2008Downriviera30 11-15-08  10:29 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 928
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley- i was Johns doorman when he had the Graffitti ,on Mack, i used to go to club jefferson,

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burgers at Brosnan's were always great.

Sunday afternoons: Sinatra on the jukebox, shooting pool and conversation with John. And always within walking distance.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Redcoat tavern. Surprised to be the first to shout out. That place always has a two hour wait.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6880
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to get a burger that was okay but not worth mentioning here. Just once they must have made some mistake though because it had a strong taste of beef broth that made it so much better. It was a real treat.

If anyone's experimenting with hamburger recipes, you might try soaking it in hot beef broth of various concentrations. You might become famous!

OTOH, maybe they just left it warming in the greese trap. I know some places that do that.

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to like Kavan's on the eastside...they may have moved to the suburbs...

Rj_spangler

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see Howell's is on the list! I never had their burger but my pal Jimmy cooks 'em over there. I bet some of you here knew Jimmy when he was co-owner of Sully's in Dearborn? One of the great music rooms around back then.

I have an annual gig at Howell's around the holidays -- this year its Dec 17. Our special guest will be Showtime JOhnny from the Howling Diablo's. Maybe I'll get a burger..

Rj_spangler

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duggan's Irish Pub, Royal Oak is a fav of mine.

I live pretty close to Irish Coffee Bar & Grill in Grosse Pointe Farms but I've never been there!
Everyone tells me the burger is great there.

Travis Coffee Shop in St. Clair Shores is one mile from my crib and its on speed dial for when I am on my way home from the bar !

Sec106
Username: Sec106

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just went to the Woodbridge Pub last night. Husband had their cheeseburger and said it may be the best he has ever had. We have had Miller's, Nemo's, Checkers, Meat Cutters and he thinks the one last night was tops. I had a bite and it was delish. Nice place too.

Mrsprunk
Username: Mrsprunk

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have to agree about the Red Coat. they are THE BEST. and im not just saying this because i work there!!! i loved the place LONG before that. ive never worked in a place where so much pride is taken is food prep and cooking. and its pretty awesome because we get free burgers every shift!!! (:

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 205
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RJ: What gig did you return from tonight? Looks like you might have 'burgers on your mind!
Kavan's was always good, back in the day. Will try Travis soon. I miss the old working person's bars that cashed checks and served bar food. Many had home style burgers with relish plates.
Might try that burger at Howells. Will be laid off from my new job that week, and haven't heard you or Johnny Evans play in too long!

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2335
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A comparable burger(slider) to Travis for Eastsiders try Geneva's on Harper just east of Cadieux.

Rj_spangler

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its seems we covered Geneva's on the forum just recently, but it was a different topic. I would agree that Geneva's and Travis are very simular.

Bobl, I played in Novi but didn't get any burgers on the way home -- haven't had a burger in two weeks as I've been ona diet! If you know me (and you sure seem to) then you know I am very good at losing weight and of course gaining weight. Its keeping it off that I suck at -- hence having Travis on speed dial.

I will be at the Cadieux Cafe' tonight where we have the Soul Jazz Sunday jam session that I run. Their burger is fine but what I like there are the Belgian style french fries.

Say hello when you stop by Howell's !

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old Sabre Lancer on E. Warren had a great burger. I'd stop once a week for a burger with sauted onions and cheese. Irish Coffee is pretty good too, but it depends on who's doing the cooking.

Rj_spangler

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sabre Lancer was good! Hey Servite76 - do you Brian O'Donnell?

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree with Red Coat. Definitely my favorite burger. Tip call ahead and get your name on the list then show up about 10 min before they say.

(Message edited by spitcoff on November 16, 2008)

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RJ, I certainly do, we sang in choir together and played our harps. If it's the same Brian. You mentioned playing at Cadieux. I remember a friend of my sisters that use to play there. I think he might have been one of the guys who had the hootin-nanny's(sp?) there a few years back on Sunday nights. Pat Shanley.

(Message edited by Servite76 on November 16, 2008)

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about that Irish place?...they have a good burger...you know..Mac Donalds.. it think its called...

Rj_spangler

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite76, Pat Shanley is a buddy of mine for sure! Yes, its the same Brian O'Donnell I am betting. A bunch of his friends from Servite came out to my gig at Cliff Bell's last Friday because Brian's brother James, is my co-leader and dear friend. James is a heck of a trumpeter.

I've known Brian through James for over 30 years.

Beech_cricker
Username: Beech_cricker

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand the general public's fascination with Miller's Bar. Maybe it is a "Dearborn thing".

I was there once--perhaps five years ago. Maybe things have changed since then.

I kind of like the informality of the wax paper over the burger. And the honor system of payment is neat.

But having to wait in line at a bar with an atmosphere like hundreds of other bars in the area just isn't worth it. And there beer selection sucked. Bud, Miller Lite or the other macro swills are it. You have to have a good beer to go with a good burger.

I'd much rather go to Dunleavy's, the former Maury's, in Allen Park. Great burgers, an actual beer selection and not overcrowded.

Zitro

Post Number: 2336
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite, I saw you mention Lt. Steve Kirschner on another thread. I know he graduated from Servite 74' Did you know him? I played ball at Wish Egan with him for quite a few years.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 697
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

25yrs ago before I could drive {legally} my folks would take me to Millers,But when I got to drive for real I spent many nights waiting for my cousins {big brothers} to call it quits at the Bar. That BAR was Skones in Westland, nothing better for 17 yr old then to sit at the bar , do his homework , and enjoy a good burger.Duggans Big Chief is one of my favs,and I will never pass on a burger at Sidetracks, But in Wayne I go to Jake,s for a Bacon Cheeseburger.I have grown up on Millers while I do think they were better 25 yrs ago, THEY ARE STILL BETTER THAN I CAN DO.

Bowldetroit
Username: Bowldetroit

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to like Lindell's before or after a ball game. Anybody have any pics of the Lindell?

Moetown
Username: Moetown

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will have to check out howell's, I did not know that Jimmy was their.

I still like millers, but the best burger I have had was the bb king burger at Sisko's in taylor.
I ate their at least two times a week for seven years, and never had a bad burger.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We call Howell's the "Watch Your Step"... old sign at the back door...best Dearborn burger for sure

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joey's Meatcutters was great the last time I went there about 7-8 years ago. The burgers were huge and oh so good. The staff they had at the time were all delightful and reason alone to visit again.

Another good burger, comparable to Redcoat, can be had at "24 Second" on 12 Mile in Berkley. I choose Redcoat Tavern for the better atmosphere.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9151
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Piedmontese burger at Redcoat Tavern is the winner for me. Mmm that is good stuff. It is naturally leaner as well.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9152
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Food photography is really tricky. Usually, a newspaper will have one or two photographers who specialize in it, but they get compensated well for the good work they do. I think the Freep tried doing this on the cheap.

You are very right. You could pay near $1,000 for the rights to a quality food shot from a good local photographer. Of course, if you own a good restaurant, you can go trade on some or all of that. :-)

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 483
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask Jimmy for a menu. He really likes that! Great cook.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another good Dearborn bar burger is Falls Lounge at Outer Drive and Pelham. Also a great selection of old school beers like Strohs, Blatz, Schlitz and Old Style.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 698
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best thing bout this site it has got me to see the area more and learn where the good food is.Maybe in 2 weeks when I pick Saturday night dinner I,ll go to Howells.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sisko's did have a good burger, as did The Soup Kitchen. Maybe blues lovers make and consume better burgers!
Going to the Detroiter and Irish Coffee next weekend, to begin my quest for the best of Discuss Detroit's recommendations!

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Baltimore (downtown next to The Well) has one of the best burgers I have ever had.

Zitro

Post Number: 2343
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BD: Here's the only pic I could find, but I think I have a couple of others stashed away. This was taken around 97' after the joint had closed. I wish I had had the insight to take pictures of the inside when it was still viable. I'll bet the walls could tell some stories. I was fortunate enough to meet Eddie Matthews and Norm Cash in here the Summer of 68' when I was 12 years old. Same day McClain won his 31st game and Mantle hit the "Grooved Pitch"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.