Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » I feel no pity for any of these shooting victims « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 640
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081114/M ETRO01/811140423

Am I getting jaded, or do you agree these shootings were justified?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 6009
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither do I.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5613
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ones who didn't fire at the cops could have easily been suicides by cop, especially the one who pulled up in the car.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 375
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Live by the sword die by the sword.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 622
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you pull a gun on someone, they have the right to pull a gun back on you. You're stupid enough to flash a gun at a Police Officer, you deserve the mortal consequences. Plain and Simple!

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 296
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's one way to cut down crime in the city. Saves the taxpayers money too.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I absolutely agree.

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep - pretty hard to expect that they'd get any other reaction. I don't think it's jaded - just realistic. Everyone has the right to defend themselves.

Choquant
Username: Choquant

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it's hard to feel bad for someone when they brought their fate upon themselves. It's hard to care about scumbags anyway.

Also, I can't imagine that even the dumbest person could think that pointing a gun at an officer would end joyfully.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5150
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we all support our public safety officers and have to give them the benefit of doubt, yet we must always be on guard against the extremely rare rogue cases. They can be very damaging to public relations, cost the city millions and, as a consequence, endanger other officers.

For instance, had the News article read, "Off duty Mayor Kilpatrick executive protection unit officer shoots and kills armed exotic dancer," I wonder what the response of this forum would have been then?

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinda stupid to flash a gun at a cop.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3867
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mayor Kilpatrick shoots and kills armed exotic dancer"

Lowell, If I can edit your last sentence just a little, I think that would have been a better story........ :-)

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 538
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably didn't know he was a cop. Story says the officer was off duty.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3447
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, first story could be fishy. what was happening that prompted dude to pull his gun on the cop ? nothing ?

i have witnessed a person shot by police, and those police were later charged by the State police for planting a weapon after the murder. The police walked, even after being sued by Fieger on behalf of the murdered man.

"Live by the sword die by the sword."

Doesnt that apply to law enforcement as well?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9116
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

yeah, first story could be fishy. what was happening that prompted dude to pull his gun on the cop ? nothing ?

Unfortunately, I don't find that fishy at all. Wish I did.

Wykkidx
Username: Wykkidx

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess that guy should have stayed in bed, instead of looking for some quick cash. I wonder how long it will be till someone starts jabbering on the news saying that he was a good man who never did anything to anybody and tries to sue the city for 5 million.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how long? oh....I'd say right around (what time is the news on?) 5pm.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a fat scuzzy bitch dump a bag of trash out her window at Caniff and I-75 today. Reason I could never own a gun is because if I had one, people like her would be dead all over this town.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5151
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Ray1936... five will get you ten that he is getting dancers smuggled into his cell.

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice shooting on the officer's part.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 2057
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Don't pull the thang out, unless you plan to bang" - Outkast

Margdar
Username: Margdar

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Bombs over Baghdaaaaaaad..."

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ It all comes full circle, seems like Baghdad in Detroit sometimes.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2880
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is there even a question.
You pull a gun on a cop and you should die.

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You posters have never heard of "throwdown" guns? Come in handy when you shoot an unarmed person.

Question to any and all: Does DPD still hire people with criminal records? Might explain why they are still under the Federal consent decree for use of excessive force (among other transgressions). Would also explain why most other departments won't touch ex-DPD with a 10-foot pole..........

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 898
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Throwdown guns? What are they, spares?

Username: 7051

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many big cities have been here in the last 5 years heavily recruiting DPDers for lateral transfers (Denver, Houston, L.A. come to mind).

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2200
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say you might be a little jaded.

Suicides still warrant pity, along with even more questions and frustration than usual. On top of that, we have the police officer who gets to look back at his life someday, and know he will never know why he had to kill one of the people he had sworn to protect. That's unfortunate and irremovable weight on the soul.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 483
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to remember Diehard once you shoot the gun you can't recall the bullet.

The 1st thing that came to mind for me was that's a good start. Or, too bad they didn't get a couple of scrappers. But, once I got past my childish reactions and thought about what I was thinking it made me sad to think that my humanity has dipped so low by my jaded thinking that I have trivialized a human being. That kind of thinking in the end might make me feel good for a second but anymore than a second and it says something about my humanity and the loss of it which makes me the loser.

If my thinking gets that jaded then I need to consider getting out of Detroit all together and checking my thinking and feelings because I promise you if I think this way about this incident that it doesn't stop there.

Expanding this thinking makes me think about the reason police have gotten a bad rap about overreacting to people and situations. The reason we have safeguards such as the reading of our rights when we are arrested is not because somebody woke up one morning and thought it was a good idea to do that. It came about because of the brutality of the police in carrying out their duties to the public and the city.

I'm old enough to remember the "BIG FOUR" patrolling the streets of Detroit and shaking people down at will, with no cause as much as a dozen times in one night. And, if they didn't like what you said or even just the way you looked at them you would be in for the surprise of your life.

I lived in the Davison Precinct and it was nothing for them to pile you in their patrol car, drive you to Jayne Field, beat the living shit out of you and leave you there bleeding and bruised. So, just remember it is important to respect the police but that respect needs to be tempered by a healthy dose of vigilance.

So, just remember if you have a trigger happy police force you might be on the wrong end of one of those guns. The police need to be reminded that they are there to serve and protect all the citizens.

That's my rant for today!

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 641
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Understood Mortalman. Even so, I bet you're still relieved that if someone was going to get shot, it wasn't the cop. And I bet you'd never point a gun at a cop yourself.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree: Waste 'em.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 503
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course it can't be proven but its a good chance it was this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S uicide_by_cop

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodgedodger: A "throwdown" gun is a gun that has been confiscated from someone during a traffic stop, etc. but not turned in. It is carried (usually in the small of the back)and then placed next to or in the hand of an unarmed person after they have been shot.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5626
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

geez, could there be any sense of failure worse than trying suicide by cop only to be taken down safely by pepper spray?

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ct,You watch way to many cop shows.I know MANY suburban departments that hire ex-dpd.Thats part of the problem.I know many current officers that went through the training program with DPD,and leave as soon as they can(I think its 2 years)Its better/cheaper training to get than a L/E degree.There are some bad apples,and those are the ones you hear about.For every one of those,there are ton of cops that do their jobs to the best of their ability....climbs down from soapbox...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.