Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » WCCCD Downtown Campus « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm considering taking some credits next semester to wrap up an associates degree I started at another school. Has anyone on the forum attended classes there and want to share their opinions and experiences regarding the school? Thanks!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended classes there one semester. I have nothing bad to say about the place. I was able to easily get 15 credits in one semester that transferred to Wayne State, learn a lot and have a GPA of 3.8. It was also dirt cheap. You definitely get more than what you pay for when it comes to WC3D.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on November 13, 2008)

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've done a couple of guest spots there and have many conversations with some of the admin and faculty. I was/am impressed with their willingness to identify and meet the needs of non-traditional students. The students I know who attend there are satisfied. Parking seemed to be the only challenge. Oh, yeah - and very long lines if you want to buy lunch there when classes are also getting out. But there are other lunch choices within a couple of blocks that are quite good.

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went there back in the Early-Mid nineties.

I have an Associates degree from WCCC. Graduated with Honors in 1998. Most of my classes were taken at the DT complex.

Back then the classes were fine, they were just starting to put in computers, etc so I don't know how well that turned out.

My credits transferred to Walsh just fine.

I have nothing bad to say about them, I have thought about going back for a 2nd associates but don't have the motivation for it.

(Message edited by ImHere on November 14, 2008)

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of teenagers in the day. If you take evening classes you'll be OK.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 348
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have great respect for WC3. The faculty and administration at all locations are great. It is inexpensive and credits transfer. Student of all ages attend. That said, the downtown campus sucks, bad parking and the student body hates white folk. I suggest the eastern campus on Connor, easy to get to, right off I 94 and a much friendlier place. I once had a small problem and called a cental number. The person, I contacted, said "let me guess, the central campus, right?"

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2314
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the student body hates white folk"

I've taken a few classes there. All the classes had several white people in them. No problems or concerns from them nor towards them.

Sumas

Post Number: 349
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the time I attended WC2 Central, I worked for a black owned, black operated firm. I live in a neighborhood that I love that is predominantly black. I currently have several black clients/black friends and I spend 100% of my disposable income within the city. Add to that, I volunteer time to at least four neighborhood non profits in the city that are not in my neighborhood and have received two volunteer of the year awards for my extensive service. Given my resume, does it sound like I am the type of person to cry racism?
I was treated very poorly on several occasions at the central campus by individuals in the student body. I also took classes and have attended civic affairs at the Connor campus which also is predominantly a black student body. It was a great experience every time. The classes I take are a form of continuing education. I have a BA from Wayne State, another urban institution. I chose to attend there but was accepted and could have gone to MSU or Michigan. My sibs graduated from Eastern, Northern and MSU. I have supported millages for WC3 every time because I think it is a fine institution that more people should use. Racism exists in subtle forms everywhere and in every culture in this society. I did not imagine the treatment I received and am trying to give voice to my concerns that all people need to strive for civility, tolerance and should embrace diversity which is more than a two way street.

Docterry

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious, Sumas - when did you attend? I've never seen or heard the kind of incidents/attitude you're talking about, either and am wondering about the time frame.

Scarlet_crush
Username: Scarlet_crush

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attend the downtown campus. I am white and I am a minority there forsure, but have found it to be an enriching experience. I have been met with nothing but kindness. The person who said that the people at the downtown campus hate white people may have some kind of bias or underlying issue, I don't know. Maybe they really did hate him, but maybe he had a bad attitude. I don't know the guy so I don't know. I'm just saying that in no way have I felt any racism. I think it's interesting to assume that the asker is white, though. Anyway, I have had adequate teachers and exceptional teachers. I have been challenged by my classes. For the money, I would say it is an excellent value and deserves your consideration. I am very glad that I made the choice to attend.

Docterry

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't assuming anything about Sumas' background/race/ethnicity, and I didn't read that in Bvos' reply - or do you mean you are assuming that, Scarlet?

Scarlet_crush

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I meant the original asker. The person who started the post asking about the school. We don't know that person's race, so it seems silly to warn them them that whites are hated at the downtown campus.

Scarlet_crush

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, let me further clarify by saying that I think the statement made by Sumas was silly, period. It doesn't matter that the original asker could be from ANY racial background. To make a sweeping generalization about an entire student body based on a couple of your own personal experiences in unfair. You may have been unlucky and met some real jerks, Sumas. Or maybe you are not taking personal responsibility for your part in making enemies at the school. Who knows? Either scenario is possible. I just think it's irresponsible to say that the student body is hostile to whites, because it is a sweeping generalization and it holds real power. Those are words that could prevent someone from attending the school and perpetuate segregation in our city. Many white people who live in Detroit pay higher tuition to attend OCC, just because they are scared to be the white minority and I think it's a shame. WCCCD is an excellent community resource. If anyone is ever nasty to me there, I will know that it is the individual who is hostile towards me, and I won't make the mistake of pointing my finger at the "student body".

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only bad thing I can say about it is that they tore down the gorgeous Union Depot to build the downtown campus: www.buildingsofdetroit.com/pla ces/union

Sumas

Post Number: 350
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds to me like you are the one making sweeping generalizations. A question was asked, I answered. My individual experience was poor. I attended classes there winter/spring 2006/2007. I took time to write a post explaining where I stand on racial issues and my support for WC3. I only suggested an alternative campus. It would be nice if people would bother to read complete posts. FOR THE RECORD, WCC3 IS THE BEST VALUE IN TOWN! Oh yes, while I was there there the ATM machine in the lobby got stolen. So I got to look at boarded windows.

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, in most parts of the country, the male/female ratio at a particular school is the topic of conversation, not its black/white racial makeup, but I guess that's not the case in Detroit. For the record, I am a whiteboy, but i live in a cit that is 82% black so i would expect to be and not care about being the minority. If I had a hankering for getting my education with a bunch of fellow crackers I'd be registering at Macomb Community College.

I was thinking more along the lines of quality of education, accessibility of professors, professionalism of the administrative staff, etc. Thanks to those of you who helped answer the important questions.

Scarlet_crush

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry we got off track. Best of luck to you. If you go, I highly recommend Mr. Wright who teaches American Government. He is one of the best teachers I have ever had.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 574
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the learning experience would be much better if it were still FSUD. Just my thoughts though.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7518
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, maybe I was out of town when this was announced... but why did they add "District" to WCCCD? Anyone know?

Usually when this type of change takes place... new stationary, new signage, etc. has to be ordered... i.e. new "contracts" bid out to the most politically connected... :-(

Sumas

Post Number: 355
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be so practical, it is just tax dollars being wasted.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne County is unusual in that it has more than one Community College District. Adding the D helps explain to folks in Livonia or Dearborn that while they are welcome to attend WC3D, they will not get the lower tuition cost because they are in the Henry Ford or Schoolcraft Districts.

Scarlet_crush

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may be incorrect, but I think that the residency requirement for the least expensive tuition @ WCCCD is simply that you are a resident of Wayne County. Henry Ford on the other hand, has a much stricter policy and to receive the resident rate, you must live within the city of Dearborn. I'm not sure about Schoolcraft.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.