Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Mitch Mitchell RIP, Experience Hendrix Tour « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 476
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mitch Mitchell, Jimi Hendrix's drummer in the original Experience, passed away in Portland, OR at the end of the Experience Hendrix tour. Did anybody happen to see their show at the Fox recently? Did anyone see Mitch Mitchell play during Jimi's appearances in Detroit? Any thoughts?

Jleurck
Username: Jleurck

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, this is a bummer. Natural causes at 61, the wire reports say. What a absolute whale of a drummer. I always wondered how it was possible that he never landed another big gig. Kind of worked in relative obscurity following the Hendrix years.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some guys never reach the heights once the headliner leaves or dies. Look what happened to the Doors. I think AC/DC is the only band that has really held it together and maybe done better since their lead man died.
Jimi was once in a band with Mama Cass before the "Experience".

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mitch was an influential cat for sure -- odd he didn;t join another band. I looked him up on allmusic.com and there are a few records (one with the Stones in the mid 90's), but mostly Hendrix reissues...

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 480
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimi in a band with Mama Cass? That's a new one. He was in Jimmy James and the Blue Flames, Isley Brothers, Little Richard, many fail to recognize his "experience" derived from touring what was then called the "Chitlin' Circuit" in the very late 50's and first few years of the 60's. Mitch Mitchell played some great stuff, especially towards the end, 68/69/70, when he went to double-kick. Now he can double-kick it all he wants. Thankfully he got to play again and finished the tour in true rock-legend style.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother just saw him perform in the LA show and was talking about him.
RIP

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That hook-up with Mama Cass Elliot was called "The Ham Sandwich Experience"

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2872
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =CjOQ9r35uiU&feature=related

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For obvious reasons, it was big news out here in the Pacific Northleft. The Seattle Times article:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.c om/html/localnews/2008383077_w ebdrummer12m.html

and a review of the Experience Hendrix concert from a week ago:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.c om/html/musicnightlife/2008363 407_zmus07hendrix.html

It's sad to hear of his death. The tour was one of the few decent presentations of the Hendrix legacy. Mostly the newspaper articles around here concern the fight over Jimi's estate......

Dannyv

Post Number: 477
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm, thanks for the stories links.

Sludgedaddy, when I saw the Cass Elliot link, I thought of you.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv...thanks for the thought...and by the way, I still want to kick Donovan's ass!

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the Jimi Hendrix Experience at Masonic in February 1968. I was blown out of my seat, even though I was in the balcony.

Dannyv

Post Number: 478
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jiminnm, Man, that's one show I deeply regret not seeing. You had the MC5 and the Soft Machine play too. SM became my fave band of the 70s. Time to go to the basement and work on the wayback machine.

Sludgedaddy, I saw Donovan just a few years ago in Royal Oak. There was a technical glitch during Sunshine Superman that created a loud feedback thru the stage monitors. Donovan scurried away from the front of the stage like a frightened rabbit. I thought "Great, now I get to see Donovan die".

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great drummer, in a band ahead of its time.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, I have Gary Grimshaw's poster for that concert (Feb 23, 1968). Unfortunately, it's not the original but his 1991 reissue.

Dannyv

Post Number: 479
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I picked up one of those, among other Grimshaw reprints, too.

I understand that when Jimi played Cobo, anyone that wanted to enter his dressing room had to strip naked. Heard this from someone who produced that show.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.