Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Craggy Does MUSIC, Too!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14802
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Histeric and I have been listening to WDET's HD-2 channel in the Deli for a few days now...ever since I brought in my Sangean tuner for some music around this place that WASN'T electronic dance music or Madonna.

Tonight my stressed-out friend actually broke into a huge smile when he realized that he had NEVER heard his favorite band played in the deli...the Grateful Dead...until then. (Maybe this HD radio is a cool thing after all.) A few moments later I noticed a familiar voice describing the playlist...

...Craggy, showing yet again another fascinating facet of his personality. His depth of knowledge, and ability to share an anecdote regarding WHY he chose to play a particular tune is a joy to hear and even greater to LISTEN and engage.

Plus, everything he played was cool...and complex...and much of it I wasn't familiar with in the least, so I guess I'm overwhelmed by the discovery.

I can't believe he's been suffering the news all these years, he is such a natural, thoroughly interesting music discjockey. Unbelievably great free-form music radio is back in the Motor City. 101.9-2, at least between ten and midnight!

Can I get this played during the peak lunch hours? The interview program in that slot just isn't working...but this last couple of hours simply cannot have been any better.

Of course, I said that about a few of the earlier DetroitTODAY shows that were stellar...and then they just kept getting better. This could become a habit...or an addiction.

I can't tell if this is Pete Townshend or Eric Clapton...if the sun don't shine any more...is it both?! Kick ass tune...thanks Craggy.

Cheers

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 354
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Mr. Gannon.

The show actually airs live from 9-midnight on Wednesdays...they might rebroadcast it from time to time during the week.

The song you refer to is "It makes no difference" by The Band. Its from the soundtrack to "The Last Waltz", which chronicled the Band's last ever performance. A good disc, with guest appearances by Dylan, Van Morrison, Muddy Waters, Joni Mitchell and more.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's really good at news, too, Gannon. :-)

I'm glad, however, there is some outlet for your musical knowledge, Craggy. We're all the better for it.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 687
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Craggy... great show/music

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 900
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-Wow I can now stream WDET HD, and it sounds pretty good! Music on WDET again!!!! Question #1 how many WDET HD programs are "House" programs verses nationally syndicated programs? I may end my long war with them since the music pretty much died, and donate again. I have to say their local news programs are great, I am just sick of such things as BBC running all night where I can get that anywhere. Just get Bandyke back on the air, and life will be good: A good president in the WH, and good tunes coming from Motown, and get people working again, is this too much to ask :-)

I was not planning on spending much at Christmas, maybe Santa might find room in his sleigh for a HD Receiver for my home rig. Question #2 Does anybody know how the WDET and others HD home reception is in Ferndale? What kind of antenna is needed? Does this not require a special antenna no?

Thanks-

Gannon

Post Number: 14808
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should NOT require any sort of special antenna...and the tabletop and "walkpeople" portable units have internal ones. The little dipole that comes with most tuners will suffice, just stretch that thing OUT fully!

I'm having some difficulties with dropouts down at the Deli, though. I'm using a special antenna that is supposed to eliminate the multipath from many reflections off the buildings between the broadcast and receiving antennas.

I'll be trying a different one...but YOUR situation in Ferndale is WAY different than being in the concrete caverns of downtown!

Gannon

Post Number: 14809
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Craggy,

Was that show LIVE, too? I was so excited I called into the station around eleven or so, but called the -1019 one...I don't remember if that was the studio line or for pledges. All these years answering phones makes 'em a blur...

Craggy

Post Number: 355
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon...

I do the show live on Wednesday night. However, I'm in a secondary studio, so I can't take calls. Email is the best route. Maybe I'll set up a facebook page for the show for instant feedback.

I'll get back to you on it.

Craggy

Post Number: 356
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cinder...

We are working to add as much local stuff as possible, but shows like "mountain stage" will be on.

Here's a better list. It will be taking a more permanent shape in the weeks to come.

http://wdetfm.org/listenlive/H D.php

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craggy, how about twitter?

Craggy

Post Number: 357
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

twitter could work. I have a twitter page I never use. Ever.

look up Craig Fahle on Twitter, and it should be there.

Craggy

Post Number: 358
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bumping this, sorry about that...but if you are inclined, the show starts again in about thirty minutes. (9 o'clock)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3554
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon and Histeric ? Odd couple.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listening online right now, and enjoying it very much. Thanks for the bump, I'd have missed it otherwise.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.