Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Franklin Cider Mill Sign Dispute « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.freep.com/article/20081112 /NEWS05/811120317

Has anyone seen this? It's absurd that the city is harasing this man for having signs up for his business!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2694
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their point, if everyone could have all these signs, the place would look like Las Vegas. Well, how many of their businesses are all by themselves on acres of land? That mitigates the appearance of all those signs. The fact that this is a historic site, set up somewhat like a community market, seems to call for more signage. Can't these people make exceptions? Grandfather the place in as a historic site, and put up with it for the three months it's open.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9099
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If sign ordinances that exist today existed throughout our area's history, there would not be an actual car crashing out of the top of the Wetmore's auto shop on Woodward.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family has enjoyed Franklin Cider Mill every fall for 35 years. But I have to agree that the signage seems excessive and gaudy.

If the signs themselves were historic, I would be strongly in favor of a variance.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see allowing a couple of signs here and there, but I find it hard to believe that they couldn't sell any apple pies because the city made them take all the signs down. There are other ways to advertise it. Have the cashiers ask. Give away samples. Send out coupons or run ads in the local rags that hit mailboxes every week. Run specials (buy a gallon of cider, get $1 off a pie, things like that). There are other ways to get the word out other than having 20 signs tacked to the front of the building.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 15979
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A rule passed by the appropriate authorities with predetermined penalties for not obeying it....what is the debate?

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should have a sign warning how addicting the donuts are.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriviera, that's the funniest comment I've seen on here in a long time. Laugh-out-loud-funny.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3437
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are too many signs.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Signs signs,
everywhere there's signs,
Blockin' out the scenery

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man, that place is one of the things I miss most being in cali. the doughnuts are the best, maybe they should be illegal as I eat a dozen in a sitting. The cider is good to. We dont have cider mills out her in LA, could someone fed-ex me some PLEASE? lol. enjoy all...... beware of Bee's

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, and the smoked cheese...... drool

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Franklin near the Franklin Elementary School. The Cider Mill was a daily stop after school for a donut and a cup of cider. During certain times in the fall my parents had to have a "resident" pass to drive on the side streets. Memories.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 471
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, we can't choose which laws should not apply to us only.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.