Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » JJ & Lynne let go from WCSX « Previous Next »
Archive through November 12, 2008Raptor5630 11-12-08  4:53 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to quote my buddy (25yrs plus as a jock, then board op, then chief engineer) "Radio Sucks and everyone knows it but those in Radio"...

he now works for the Cali State Senate doing production for the radio news clips and the Govenators weekly radio show...

ive not liked D&M since i emerged from puberty, dont like talk radio much at all, thought JJ and Lynne were pretty lame and bubble-gum. CDs and now satellite for me...

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never understood how they can call it Classic Rock. Its more like Classic Hits. They rarely play any deep album cuts or b sides.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, Downriviera. That's been my bitch about CSX forever. Classic rock radio was born out of "Prime Cuts Thursdays" when they'd pick an artist and play three deep cuts by them. It was great.
We used to listen at work and hear the same songs evvveryyy daaayyy.
If they are going down, I blame Bender. I think he kept them on a short list of songs.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2857
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WCSX - Cold sons of bitches.
I hope you ratings tank.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things ain't been the same since the demise of the WABX Air Aces!
A local musician, Marc Platt, once wrote a song called "I Hate My Radio".
Appropriate then, as now.......

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.motorcityrock.com is a great site for many of the 8O's bands mentioned in this thread. They have many MP3 of some of the bands, including "The Dick the Bruiser Band", my favorite being "After the Brewery is Gone"...

We all understand that radio is not what it used be in the 60's thru the mid 80's & that this change was all about ratings and profits.

As I stated in my opening post, my biggest gripe is that JJ & Lynne were not given the opportunity for a good-bye show...they deserved it & in a very selfish way - we deserved it...

If the rumors are true and there is a format change coming for WCSX, we may lose more DJs that connect us to our past...

I accept time doesn's stop for anyone and change is alway upon us...but we still need to respect each other and memories...

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks, you can thank deregulation for this mess that they call radio today. Back in the day, EVERY station was out to win. Now that corporations run the school, it's all about the cluster instead of the individual station. At least with satellite radio they aren't afraid to venture out of the safe playlists that consultants tell radio stations to play from.

When I worked in radio, I had to follow what the consultants said to do. If we did well, the consultant got the credit. If we didn't, it was because I wasn't doing it right. I instituted an "OMG" category. These were the songs that, when you heard them you would look at the radio and say "OMG," and turn it up. It was those "other songs" that radio normally has forgotten. They only played once every other hour, and we switched them up quite often. The consultant HATED the category, and finally won out with my boss to get rid of it. I got pissed and left. Years later, the station is still not rated as well as it was. No, I don't take total credit, but it was a vestige of "gut" programming that is long gone in today's radio world.

No thanks, I'll fire up my Zune.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 629
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wcsx is an icon and touches on the classic rock format better than the posers that keep popping up on the dial. I disagree with some things on their playlist. I dont consider Bon Jovi, U2 or REM classic rock, but I commend them for trying to expand their playlist. I always thought the Wcsx air-staff was the most enthusiastic about the music. I consider it one of the crown jewels of Detroit radio and I hope they dont get rid of it.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 693
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because I work afternoons I,D hear JJ when I stayed up too late,But Ive listened to him and the crew for damn near half my life. Got to meet him at the WLLZ studios when they did the CLF RADIOTHONS. DAMN did they all look tired.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got an email from WCSX today which said there would be more changes coming and to keep listening... hmm...

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from Deminski's Blog....

Friday, November 14, 2008

COOL IDEA

I have never seen a radio station do this before, but this is pretty cool. Apparently this station took a page from the Barack Obama playbook (the way he chose to announce his running mate through text messaging). Check it out. http://tellmewcsx.com/
I wish I had thought of that!

It signs you up for Info on the change....The only question, is it D&D in the Morning, Classic Rock all day, or is the total format changing? I only listen to CSX on the weekends...Over Easy. I would be said if that left.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That post is gone now

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 624
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what post?

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 701
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't listened to them in years anyway

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The post on Deminski's blog

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like their call-letters spell out..WCSX (SUX). All that tired old dead hippie shit has turned into coprolites in it's fossilized form. If you want to hear good dead hippie shit plus real rebel rock through the ages turn to satellite and Little Steven's Underground Garage.A little bit of 13th Floor Elevators...a Little Duke of Earl...throw in some early Detroit from the Fortune Label...add a little Ramones and Frank Zappa, you're there!

I stopped listening to dead hippie radio when they refused to play The Fugs. And, their attempt at humor also WC (SUX). Having to endure the insipid commercials would qualify as Dante's Tenth Circle of Hell.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 784
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Little Steven's Underground Garage ON WCSX Sunday nights from 6-9?

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got the text message and its on WCSX.COM... D&D 6-10am Starting Monday Jan 5th.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice work, Qdaddy. I got the message too.

I'd like to point out that at 12:10 p.m. today, nothing about this on freep.com, nothing on detnews.com, nothing on crainsdetroit.com, but all the news that's fit to print right here on DY :-)

Good to get a scoop on the "real" media every now and then.

Raptor56

Post Number: 625
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Email at 12:10pm Today:

We are very excited to share with you that 94.7 WCSX is welcoming veteran radio personalities Jeff Deminski and Bill Doyle to mornings at The Motor City's Classic Rock Station.

In case you're not familiar with The Deminski & Doyle show, Jeff and Bill cover a wide variety of topics, ranging from serious issues to comedy, while sharing with you insight into their personal lives.

I would like to personally invite you to tune into The Deminski & Doyle show premiere Monday, January 5, 2009 from 6am to 10am, right here on 94.7 WCSX. We believe you'll find their show to be the perfect way to start your mornings.

In the meantime, make sure to visit www.WCSX.com for audio and video updates from Jeff and Bill.

Thank you so much for listening and being a part of this exciting time at 94.7 WCSX.

John Gallagher
Market Manager
Greater Media Detroit

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 789
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really enjoyed the D&D afternoon show, but their switch to mornings... just didn't do it for me. Their format relied very heavily on people calling in, and the morning just doesn't seem very conducive to good conversation. Perhaps it's just me. :-)

Professorscott

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a question, and I don't have an opinion because I've never heard D&D, but perhaps some of you will. It's a two-parter:

1. Assuming they keep the same format, will WCSX get better ratings with D&D than with JJ & Lynn?

2. Assuming they don't keep the same format, what format might they go to with that morning show?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10513
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley, yes but it is taken from Sirius-XM channel 25 satellite radio. Great show nonetheless. I love the songs they find, older more obscure to new fantastic bands coming onto the scene.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4681
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prof, D&D are strictly talk format, no music. It used to be sort of an afternoon Drew and Mike style, with more local and topic driven call-in.
They were heavily male focused, like D and M, but less sex. They did do a short stint of mornings when 97.1 went to sports format, and they did pretty well.

Raptor56

Post Number: 627
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked D&D in the afternoons. before I had satelite, I'd flip over to them on my way home from work when every other friggin channel was at a simultaneous commercial break. I'm interested to see how they fair on CSX and how much competition they give WRIF. I'll tune in to check it out.

Raptor56

Post Number: 628
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20081117/METRO /811170419

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Afternoon drive time does not seem to be lucrative enough anymore in Detroit (at least for talkers whose shows cost more to produce). All the good stuff is on in the morning, and there is not the same quality in the afternoon anymore. Mitch on 760 has gotten tired (when he even shows up). Medved on 1400 is tired as well. AM 1200 only has talk in the morning. WCSX will only have talk in the morning. Many other stations have talk based morning shows, but more muscially based ones in the afternoon. Wendy Williams failed.

NPR and 92.3 (Baisden)are the only good talkers in the afternoon, IMHO.......

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 273
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back Ed Tyll & Kramer and Twitch!!!!

Of all the on air "personalities" Ed was one of the ......

Reddog289

Post Number: 701
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey out there, Who was the morning show the JJ&Lynne replaced?. The secretary at the place I worked at back then"BITCHED" for weeks when JJ came on the CSX airwaves.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4716
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember their names, but it was two guys who did a lot of talk, and less music. They were kind of raunchy and funny. They had a contest about the best threat you ever heard and I used my dad's 'Touch her and I'll cut your nuts off with a rusted can lid' comment to one of my boyfriends. I got tickets to a Tiger game, gift certificates to White Castle and a gift certificate to Harmony House.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 630
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasnt Jim Pallucci one of them?
He bounced all over the dial. He was still around a few years ago.

Youdummy
Username: Youdummy

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paolucci is still around on Magic 105.1

http://my.detroitmagic.com/jim p/

Thafuzz
Username: Thafuzz

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm...when it comes to Howard Stern Lite, I think I'll stick with WRIF's Mike in the Morning.

/God, I miss Howard Stern

Reddog289

Post Number: 714
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back when I did spend alot of time in the truck I,d bounce around the dial, I would listen to Howard after Drew and Mike went of the air, then they started to stay later. Damndest thing with all the morning show changes in the past 25 yrs I can only think of 2 shows that are still going Dick Purtan and Jim Harper whom either did I hardly listen to anyway.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've called WCSX the Led Zepplin/Who station for years. It's all they every play, the same tired songs over and over and over again. Hopefully this change will put a little spark in their step and liven things up a bit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.