Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Nandes Knowledge Cafe « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nestled between afrocentric Black Whole Collective and a barber shop, the unassuming cafe-booksore,offers free wi-fi and a modest menu of down home cooked meals,daily specials and deserts.The small dining area is nestled in the back corner next to a hidden little kitchen. Hook up to the wi-fi or kick back and watch the television. The doorway to the restroom and food prep area was covered with long beads,african masks from the Congo were mounted on the wall overlooking the diners. When I first walked in I was overwhelmed by the huge bookshelves filled to capacity with reading materials, everything from law books to seventies pulp paperbacks. There were several very comfy-plush red couches surrounding a small table, a great spot to sip on some tea or coffee and read a book.
The prices are for the frugal, the salad was 2 bucks, Turkey burger was 4, fries and a pop were 2 smackers. I finished with an apple-peach cobbler and side of vanilla ice cream. The three main dinners were Baked Fish; Lamb Chops; and Veal Parmigana.8 dollars.
Also there is a decent selection of jewelry and nubian heritage African soaps, including some kind of black liquid soap. I picked up a bar of organically blended body butter soap made fro Mango,Shea & Cocoa butters with honey & cornmeal.
The patrons and proprietors were friendly and made me feel like I was at home.
If you like discovering off the beaten path-unique people and places, Nandes Cafe is a must check out!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did the photography for the story the Michigan Citizen wrote on Nandie's. It's a pretty cool place.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is Nandies? I don't know of the Black Whole Collective either, but would be interested in checking both out.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here you go: http://tinyurl.com/59drzb

Terryh

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link Viziondetroit. The Black Whole is a co-operating group of artists and vendors,that is why the business in referred to as a collective.

(Message edited by terryh on November 12, 2008)

Terryh

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me and a friend stopped by tonight and had dinner. My pal had lamb chops with mashed potatoes and green beans. I sampled the lamb,it was grilled as good if not better than what would be served in a Greek restaurant. I had the Tilapia dinner with huge portions of collard greens and black eyed peas;mmm mmm mmm.One of the owners hooked my friend up with a huge slice of the in-house made apple-peach cobbler (I had a slice yesterday with some vanilla ice cream) Down home and welcoming in the Highland Park. I wasnt kicked out yesterday after the place closed and the owner was waiting for her co-owner husband to pick her up. Great vibe to the place.

Terryh

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thursday night is open mike-poetry night....you can sang if want... some deep revolutionary lyrics were in the mix..

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.