Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Diamonds every few hundred feet on Michigan ave? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2852
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Made ya look. :-)

What are the diamonds painted every few hundred feet on Michigan avenue? Is that for pacing cars from above?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

High occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane demonstration project by MDOT.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3616
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another gimmick to help Osborne write more tickets. :P

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The diamond <> was a 19th and early 20th century form of graffiti posted to resemble a female's vagina. With the popularity of text messages and the shortening of letters in the printed word maybe something old is new again.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 650
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People say she's crazy
She's got diamonds on the soles of her shoes

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 640
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess this kind of shows how far Michigan is behind on the times.....

Must explain why I saw a car attempting to drive in a bike lane today.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6401
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking the same thing, Wolverine. The birthplace and headquarters of the American automobile, and Michigan is just about the last place to see 'new' infrastructure/transportation technology.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14784
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best I can tell, that is the new PASSING lane...

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this thread was about Detroit diamonds (a bunch of smashed out car windows lying on the pavement).

Switchmanjim
Username: Switchmanjim

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're like rosary beads. You say a prayer at every one...hoping to make it to the next...

Englishkills
Username: Englishkills

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit doesn't have any other HOV lanes? I could have sworn I remember them on an expressway, possibly I-94, back in the 90s. I know we have them all over in the New York metro area although some have been done away with. First time I remember seeing them is out in California back in the 70s. A lot of places are moving away with the HOV lanes in favor of toll lanes.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 724
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there were HOV lanes elsewhere in Michigan, there certainly are not provisions for enforcing them with our current motor vehicle code. Legislation is slowly moving through the state legislature to add HOV enforcement. However, that legislation was modified to only allow HOV lanes on Michigan Avenue within Detroit city limits.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludedaddy said: "The diamond <> was a 19th and early 20th century form of graffiti posted to resemble a female's vagina."

--- So what was used to represent a male's vagina?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14796
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back then, the female vagina WAS the male's...but then, slavery was legal, too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.