Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » 70 Unit Development on Woodward near "C-Mart's" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read this article from April:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080509/B IZ/805090343/1361/UPDATE

Says there is to be a 70 rental unit redevelopment in lower woodward. The article says the closing will be in October... Did that happen? Status update on this deal?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7908
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it better work. Our economy is F@$#%! up thanks to the George Bush.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 355
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't hold your breath on this one Andy.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aint gunna happen, at least not for a long while.
Sad, we were starting to make some nice moves 2 years ago

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:::BUMP:::

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6402
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump for what?

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUMP = Bring up my post
It is used in forums if a thread / topic has fallen towards the bottom of the forum and the person wants more discussion.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the economy is BAAAD, but I thought the rental market was less soft than the purchase market, and the article is only from April... Any definitive word? (though I am not holding my breath!)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2168
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bumped it because I have been asking about this project regularly since it was announced (though it's been at least a month), and have yet to get much of a reply.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should walk or drive by those buildings. They sit empty with no sign of renovation (except for floorplans in the window of the Elliott) since this article was written.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5477
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bad economy really isn't the appropriate excuse. The credit issues-- yes, where applicable. But in a few months when money is available again, but we are still in a deep recession, you should reasonably expect that projects should get moving again in most places. There's nothing wrong with building projects in a slump. Building in a slump gives the builder the advantage of less costly building materials, and the ability to be ready to capitalize on returning demand when the recession ends. Many famous homes and buildings were built during the great depression.

The question is: will what I just be described be the case elsewhere and not in Detroit, due to the impending job hemorrage. I'd say: probably. But if the question is whether downtown can still see some great new developments and overall growth while the region languishes, I'd say that there is still a good chance.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 748
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Many famous homes and buildings were built during the great depression.

Yeah, look at the Fisher and the Book Buildings. Both built EXACTLY as planned during the Depression.

quote:

Initially, Kahn planned for a complex of three buildings, with two 30-story structures flanking a third tower twice that height. However, the Great Depression kept the project at one tower.

quote:

A taller Book Tower of 81 stories was to be built at the opposite end of the Book Building, but the Great Depression cancelled those plans.

Your post makes no sense Mack. "building" will not "get moving" again in Detroit until this area sees some positive economic growth. no one is going to invest the vast sums of money required in an area that appears to be in its death spiral.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.