Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Really, is there a better sandwich than Slow's tripple threat « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to go to St. Clair Shores the other day to get a part for my 1930 Model A roadster. I took a co worker buddy of mine along as well. We spent an hour or two walking around downtown then went over to Slow's to try it out. We each got the tripple threat which if you haven't had it yet consists of bacon, pulled pork, and two chunks of ham. Now besides hot rods, vintage motorcycles, and Detroit, sandwiches are right up there in my top five things that make life worth living. I love the special at the Detroiter, that's an awesome hamburger. The corned beef at the Onion Roll Deli is pretty great as well. But this tripple threat just ruined all other sandwiches for me. Is there anything else sandwich related in Detroit that I should know about or can I just continue happily eating this masterpiece every time I'm in town?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have to try that one next time I'm at Slow's. Is it new? I cant believe I have missed that one before.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7484
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Breadbasket Deli at 10 1/2 Mile (Lincoln) & Greenfield in Oak Park has a "United Meat" sandwich made of Corned Beef, Pastrami, Swiss cheese and Russian dressing on an onion roll. The meat/cheese portion of the sandwich is about 3 inches thick.

It's virtually unfinishable...

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 456
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wonder we're all so fat!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

should change the thread name to favorite sandwich. And with that "the hudson" at Happy Cream is the best in town

Bcscott

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I'm 6'1" 190 lbs. That's not fat, is it? :-)

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 457
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep eating Triple Threats and you'll see what I mean! :-)

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eph McNally's is a dominate power in Detroit sandwiches, if you have never been you must.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3347
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's rated 4-valves by the American Cardiology Association, their highest rating.

I think Paramedic Monthly gave it 5-paddles, also.

Bcscott

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is Eph McNally's? and does anyone have the specs on "The Hudson" that Chitaku mentioned.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistock, the Breadbasket does make a pretty good sandwich, but they are quite expensive. Last month I spent close to 20 bucks on soup, a sandwich and pop. Granted, I had enough for another meal, but still, it's lunch.

Lunch at a place with grease on the windows and counter-ladies named Velma snapping gum and hacking up my suspicions each time they go through a spasmatic coughing attack.

Slows is nice too, great decor and friendly staff, but haven't tried the Triple Threat. Sounds a little too meaty for me.

Gotta go with Dan's suggestion of Eph's on Woodward. It's located between Campus Martius and City Hall, next to Forans, on the east side of W-ward. Fresh,clean, tastee, good value and a friendly vibe from the staff.

(Message edited by gnome on November 10, 2008)

Brougham
Username: Brougham

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slows other great sandwich: "The Reason", on Texas Toast, Pulled Pork, just add the apple BBQ sauce and you have a sandwich !

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5145
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^My vote too. I had one just last night.

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Mr. Fofo's still around? Haven't been in awhile but that's the biggest and best corned beef sandwich I've ever had.

(Message edited by jita1 on November 10, 2008)

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3934
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best Reuben sandwich I ever had was served at the Bull Market Restaurant. If memory serves me, I believe it was located on Fort Street, a short walk from the Penobscot Building. It was so delicious you wanted to be able to devour the whole thing - but there was so much of it, you always had lunch for the next day too! It was made with the leanest corned beef I've ever tasted.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.