Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Jack's Waterfront (SCS) on Kitchen Nightmares tonight « Previous Next »
Archive through November 07, 2008Melody30 11-07-08  12:59 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 634
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just there Saturday. Had the coconut shrimp, not bad. I talked to the "scary" owner Scott for a while and he was way cool. I guess the experience must have helped.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9075
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "scary" owner became very useful when it was time to inform the crew that the BS was over, and they need to listen to their chef with no backtalk or whining. He was like Sam Jackson in Pulp Fiction "say what again MF!"

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7474
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A nautical theme at a bar on a "nautical mile", what genius.

LOL... that would be like saying why is there a restaurant in Hamtramck that has a polka band and cabbage rolls?

If you've ever even been to the Nautical Mile... even the street lights are nautical... and many restaurants have not only nautical themes, but many also have lighthouses built into the architecture of the building...

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 660
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_

The old man needed to go. He was an anchor dragging the operation down. You must have zero knowledge of the food/beverage industry. Also, the "nautical mile" has a large population of nautically themed restaurants, bars, marinas and other businesses. The idea to turn up the theme a bit was a great idea. It's called association. Please divert your smug comments towards an industry you are familiar with.

The problem with owners these days is they will interview for a franchise or lending with the impression they will be running this place 6 days a week. It works because the owners absolutely believe in themselves and the idea. But somewhere in the back of their minds, they have a seed planted that they will run this place for a little while, maybe expand or diversify into other fields and some one will come along who will run this place....(honestly and efficiently..... Sha-right).

Similarly, many owner/operators also don't know what exactly they are getting into. They are blinded by $$ signs and only see potential bottom lines. Once they actually assume command and see the daily operational necessities, they burn out in record time. The operation quickly follows and customer counts plummet. Staff moral is the final victim. I give a lot of credit to executive chefs and their staffs who come in every day and start from scratch. You are never completing projects, which can taint the idea of success.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9080
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_'s point about the old man, I think, is that they threw him under the bus, when they only put him up there to get him out of the kitchen, and because he was one of their fathers. The guy wasn't in charge of anything, but when Ramsay came around, suddenly it was all his fault. Yes, he was the general manager, but they needed to take some ownership of their problems. They knew damn well it wasn't all his fault, and that his position there was nothing more than a favor to him. (a $100,000 a year favor, damn)

Tkshreve

Post Number: 662
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL,

he had all the experience and he was handsomely rewarded for that experience. He did not own up to any responsibilities until the end of the show when he was directly confronted and put on the spot. In his private interview shortly after, he pretty much took back everything he admitted to before. He was asked to do a job, did not do it, drank instead, and watched the place go under. Here's your 100K..... thanks.

If anything, that old man was the bus driver and he personally put the restaurant in front of the bus.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judging from the snow, the show was made a while ago. Anyone other than Diehard eaten there since the show?

I have a hard time finding a restaurant with fresh food and good service in the Detroit area. Often times the attitude is "this is what you ordered, this is what get", taking no care about whether it's acceptable.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2761
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are working in an establishment that serves alcohol you are not allowed to drink.

quote:

Also Jack's was nautically-themed before Nautical Mile was named. Anyway, I'm not trying to pick on _sj_....

The point was that someone else had to do this for them.

quote:

You must have zero knowledge of the food/beverage industry

I will let that one slide since you don't know me or anything about me.

quote:

_sj_'s point about the old man, I think, is that they threw him under the bus, when they only put him up there to get him out of the kitchen, and because he was one of their fathers. The guy wasn't in charge of anything, but when Ramsay came around, suddenly it was all his fault.

Exactly, he was a face and nothing more. He had no power of authority or even purchasing power, he was a concierge so to speak. There to make the customers feel at home and nothing more.

But when trouble came, none of the owners want to take responsibility since it all falls back on them. First it was each other. This one is too abrasive, this is never here and then it was the chef. When that didn't fly the threw the old man under the bus.

It was classless no matter how you spin it.

quote:

Similarly, many owner/operators also don't know what exactly they are getting into. They are blinded by $$ signs and only see potential bottom lines.

That was my point, an perfect a example of how many people think it is cool to own and operate a business in that segment.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 665
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
Exactly, he was a face and nothing more. He had no power of authority or even purchasing power, he was a concierge so to speak. There to make the customers feel at home and nothing more.

He was making $100,000 a year. How does someone making that amount of money have no accountability and/or control in a failing restaurant? If it was my business, he would be the highest paid employee, and all problems would lead back to him. No questions. The invested partners admitted their mistakes...... he didn't. Furthermore, he was brought in for his 40+ years expertise on the restaurant industry. Yeah, totally not his fault. Let's give him a raise while were at it.

In this day and age, you either conform to your customers demands, or slink your way out of business.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9088
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He was making $100,000 a year. How does someone making that amount of money have no accountability and/or control in a failing restaurant?

Because HE'S THE OWNER'S DADDY! That's why I think it's the owners fault for putting him in that position. You think they didn't know he was useless? Of course they did, they saw it every day! They allowed it and endorsed it by not doing anything about it. So when Ramsay comes along and says "what's going on here" you can't lay all the blame on pops. Pops was doing what sonny boy said pops was allowed to do, and getting paid fat cash for it.

_sj_

Post Number: 2762
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was only a puppet and they pulled his strings so they wouldn't look bad.

I also wonder if the A in ABST, INC. doesn't stand for AJ.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 314
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you are working in an establishment that serves alcohol you are not allowed to drink."

I can't prove it yet, but I still don't think that's true. It's definitely not true of entertainers working in an establishment (such as a band, or a dancer, etc.). I still say you can drink, you just can't be drunk.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I used to work with the one fry cook who was wearing the black ball cap..his name was tom bullo, I think they called him tom in one scene but I could be wrong

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 765
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it would make sense:
AJ, Brain, Scott, Tammer
who knows though

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats a disgusting place.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 271
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone mentioned Fly Trap in Ferndale. I've been 2x and both times, I was treated rudely by the waitstaff. The food was decent, but they acted like they were doing me a favor by serving my husband and I.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom Bullo was the guy in the cap, holding up a chunk of walleye and doing some weird ulalating yell. I remember him from the 2.4 hour stint he did at Tom's Oyster Bar in Grosse pte. (the original) before Chef Billy found him drinking beers down in the basement instead of shucking the corn like he was told to. Apparently, he got fired out of Jack's in the aftermath of Ramsey's visit. Total douchebag. Where did you know Tommie from Ja1mz? I think the guy has ben 86'ed from about every kitchen on the Eastside now.

I especially loved the two dumbass guys arguing over who was going to fix the crapped up rice. "I didn't bring it up (from the prep basement) why should I fix it?" the one assclown asked. That and the idiot who told the Chef Arron "you busy, I'm busy too dawg." as he wandered around with that stupid daze on his face, doing fawk-all. My foot kept itching to kick asses the whole episode.

I love the Ramsey show, because everyone thinks it's Wolfgang or Emeril back in the kitchen, preparing a meal special for them. Reality check, it's not. It's some junkie skell with just enough neurons firing to be a menace to your health. KN shows the real world of culinary, warts and all. Just think what the walk ins and reach ins look like in the thousands of kitchens Ramsey does NOT visit. Muhahahahahaha.

Over 20 years in this business, and now I will only eat out if I know the chef/owner and trust the bastard. There's a slew of restaurants I wouldn't send my worst enemy to eat at. Well.. maybe.

Ja1mz

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitchef--I thought that was him!..I was working as a dishwasher busboy at Kozy Kitchen on Harper in SCS back in the '80's while i was going to school, he was the midnights dishwasher then he was the midnights cook. I remember he never had a car most of the time, and I remember having to drive him home or having to pick him up as he was always mia for the start of the shift and we would have to pound on the door to wake him up. What a trip.. he really packed on the pounds. I remember seeing him crossing Jefferson back about 14 years..probably walking to Jacks..That was the last I had seen of him untill yesterday. I remember he had married one of the waitresses from Kozy Kitchen and I think they had a kid a few years back. He was real laid back in those days as well. I wonder were he works now...He must have really nose dived in his life, he was not to bad a guy back then, other than being late all the time...before the show started I told my wife I knew someone who used to work there, and there he was!

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 272
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitChef,
Since I love to eat out, share with us some of the 'safe' restaurants.

Thanks!

Whittier70

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How bout naming the bad ones instead so nobody has to find out the hard way and waste their money.

Ja1mz

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most places are like the ones you see on KN..once you work in a restaurant you really see what goes on..if most people knew what went on in them you would go screaming into the night

Whittier70

Post Number: 230
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stick with the mainstream, chain type restaurants, their managers have managers who have district managers and so on, so they are kept very clean and food fresh. they have people to answer to unlike independant restaurants where they can do whatever they want to do like the cook/owner from the first episode yesterday who totally didn't care about anything except himself. Had no concern whatsoever about his customers, just what was convenient for him. I've worked at independant and mainstream, there is a BIG difference in cleanliness.
And I do not mean fast food chains.

(Message edited by whittier70 on November 08, 2008)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6803
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whittier is right stick to chains. Shop at Walmart, and do not under any circumstances support local businesses.

Chains are the answer.

[end sarcasm]

Whittier70

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are no local businesses in my neighborhood to support, they all left.

Detroitchef

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, eat at nice safe chains since we all love nice egg salad sammiches and free soup wit dem.
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Buy Japanese cars and wear Chinese made clothes in them, as you go through those drive throughs Dude.Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Why you're not wandering around Iraq still looking for Georgie's Weapons of mass destruction I dunno, if you're that gullible. I have a nice Tunnel to Canada for sale if you're interested.

The fact is, I've seen stupider business sense, nastier sanitation and cheaper crap food overpriced at chains than I've ever seen in an independant restaurant.

Whittier can stick to the fast food places, I like food that is tasty, healthy and has more attention put into it than some dopey idiot teenager at a chain is going to do, even with myriad clueless 'managers' looking over their shoulders. I've worked both sides of the equation, independant ULTRA fine dining and corporate chain (currently a corporate R and D chef for an undisclosed Michigan based chain). Believe me, the management in chains is no better at it than in other sectors. I swear we just hire any dope who's been an assistant manager in Fast Food or who got booted out of Enron. They all want to pretend they're at the Big 3 and have billion dollar budgets, the reality is they are a git in a polyester shirt whose sole function is to remind minimum wage drones to wash their hands after weeing.

The first episode wasn't bad cooks, it was cooks who had no business sense. Those two dopes were SO set on ramming 'fine dining' down everyone's throats that they didn't listen to their customers, it took Ramsey driving around and saying "Why open a Bistro, people want a coffeeshop/cafe in this town" before they (grudgingly) let him change the concept. Then they pissed and moaned all through the first day, until they saw the over-booked tables and the money flowing in. Duuuuhhhhhhhh. TURN THE TABLES if you're small. Didn't matter that they could cook Fine Dining worth crap with 40 minute table times and only ten tables out front... they were hellbent on being 'real chefs' and damn what anyone else said. Culinary schools have NO CLASSES on the business side of things.

Boycott the chains.

And if you want to know about your favorite watering hole, Wayne County has all the restaurant Health Dept inspections online now. In California, we used to get a grade A-F and had to post the sticker in the window for the public to see. Why doesn't MI adopt something like this?

I'm glad to see that Jack's blew that deadwood out and are doing better.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took me a while to find but here it is, just plug in your fave restaurant:

http://www.swordsolutions.com/ inspections/pgesearchrest.asp? CTYID=26

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2221
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've done the restaurant thing my whole working life (cook, corporate marketing guy, and my fam owns and has owned a few). Chef is right, there is no difference in chains vs indy. You get what you get employee wise. Right now my dad has the hardest time finding good help in this terrible economy. I've seen so many incompetent managers come and go over the years that it blows my mind.

It all boils down to if your employees give a damn or not. When the owners get into the business with no experience and think it is going to be a cake walk, that is when the place is set up to fail. If the owner is clueless, chances are the staff will be too, or they just wont give a damn.I've worked at a few places around here where that was the case.

Johnberk
Username: Johnberk

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don’t get me wrong…I love the show and think its entertaining, but here are the truths and realities......

1st off, its illegal to buy fish from a fisherman off Lake St. Clair then resell lt in a restaurant.

I watched it last night and chef Ramsey and his crew conveniently edited the show as not to show the true events that happened. Like he made this black cook look real stupid, you can tell it was edited several times. In other words, he would ask one question to the guy then inserted an edited answer. He said to the cook, "have you seen Joe?" The Cook replies: "no, not at all." Then show airs, and Ramsey says: "can you cook at all"? And they play back the clip where the cook says "no" not at all."

Shame , I'd kill him if he did that to me, its all dramatics.

Ramsey USES people to make his show at any cost, even if lies, and that's ok but people should know he was makin up shit too, like holding a tray of risotto. There was nothing wrong with it; that’s the way its supposed to look; its sticky rice; they just played scary music and he made a dramatic fuss. Same with him eating food; even if it did taste good he’d still put on a show how awful it was, good for the camera , but not very honest.

People are stupid about what goes behind in a kitchen your gonna get that and worse pretty much anywhere.

The biggest problem is the owners and chef / managers…. they don’t want to pay SHIT so they hire inexperienced workers to do professional jobs.

Those workers that were on there who weren’t that good were probably paid $7 an hour. Inexperienced,….no lunch/dinner break and no health insurance wtf??, pay for what you get, all about money. They wanna hire cheap labor and expect professional chef results, At the restaurant I work at, they hire people all the time cheap and most of them have never been to cooking school. It’s a shame.

All so the big cheese can make more money & more money.

He isn’t the first person to use K for crab, you have to for legal reasons they been doing that for decades, its nothing new.

You put fresh seafood on menu then people complain about price, vicious circle
people want something for nothing

one poster writes >> "Gotta love the people eating and drinking in the kitchen, another no-no"

Yeah, well if you didn’t get a lunch break 8-12 hours in a day you’d eat while working too. Another shame. You don’t get lunch hours in a kitchen job its constant work....rush rush rush, these people wouldn’t last an hour...on top of it shit pay and shit if any health insurance.

Another problem is they hire like 4 people in the kitchen in a day when you need 8, there’s so much to do...its overwhelming with all the prep, cooking, and special needs from the waitstaff, who the hell wants to clean like your supposed to??

Owners and management need to stop being greedy and hire someone separate to CLEAN and PREP the right way so the cooks/Chefs can concentrate on making the food and service top notch. Again, it’s all about money for the Owner/management. they don’t care as long as they can slide by.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5755
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^John, are you associated with the place? 20 bucks says you are.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 331
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The editing and created "drama" on the show seems to have more to do with FOX then Ramsay. Not that I don't still enjoy watching the FOX version.

But watch the UK versions sometime if you can. They're much better. Less over the top faux drama, less repeated video clips over and over, and Ramsay narrates the show the entire time.

Johnberk

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, sorry....... I am not associated with the place.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 315
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure nobody cares anymore, but I looked it up and _sj_ is right, it's illegal for an employee to drink while on the clock. I don't know how well that law is enforced, though (except maybe at Applebee's) because I see customers buying shots/drinks for bartenders all the time.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 395
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing Johnberk has worked in a kitchen, not necessarily at Jack's. That being said...

Of course it's played up somewhat...it's TV. But I think the point they were trying to make in that show was that MANAGEMENT wasn't doing their job...which is exactly what Johnberk is trying to say.

And in the end, the management changed. Yes, some of the kitchen staff had to change because their attitude was terrible.

_sj_

Post Number: 2765
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm sure nobody cares anymore, but I looked it up and _sj_ is right, it's illegal for an employee to drink while on the clock. I don't know how well that law is enforced, though (except maybe at Applebee's) because I see customers buying shots/drinks for bartenders all the time.

Granholm has cut the LCC to the bone so bad that the laws on not enforced that are on the books. I think you would be surprised at the laws that get ignored every day.

BTW, it is illegal for anyone to be drunk in a bar.

quote:

Yeah, well if you didn’t get a lunch break 8-12 hours in a day you’d eat while working too. Another shame. You don’t get lunch hours in a kitchen job its constant work....rush rush rush, these people wouldn’t last an hour...on top of it shit pay and shit if any health insurance.

BooHoo, you are working with others people food and there are rules to followed. Eating, drinking and smoking cigarettes. Yep, sounds like such a demanding job yet they had time to do all of the above. Sorry but I ain't buying the sob story.

Management didn't change, they just passed the buck.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2154
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we have to many laws then?

Laws never expire, and many don't go back up for review to see if they're working.

Furthermore, how are individuals supposed to know what laws are relevant, and which ones aren't? Their are some seriously outdated and illegal laws on our books. Some are kind of silly, but others are very harmful to our society.

So, why don't laws expire (by expire, I mean that they should be re-voted on, or at least be put under review). Would you guys agree or disagree that these laws hurt a democratic society? They hurt, mostly because the current and future generations had absolutely no say in their enactment. They act as chains and crosses from another time, still we must all carry them.

As a gift for our children, we may need to rethink and improve our way of preserving law and order, and freedom in general.

_sj_

Post Number: 2769
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The laws are in place to protect the consumer and curtail the consumption of alcohol. Why would they expire those.

Johnberk

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you, workers shouldn’t be eating or drinking or smoking while in the kitchen making other peoples food, but it happens ALL the time , some don’t wash there hands either.

BUT when management don’t give you a lunch/meal break or time to eat a meal outside the kitchen the kitchen staff are forced to
do it on the job.

If you think I or a kitchen worker is going to work 8 -12 hours a day on our feet running around constantly with nothing to eat all day especially if you have diabetes or low blood sugar for a measly $8 an hour, you better think again.

Mad?? you should be, most owners/management are cheap , they don’t care, it is sick that cooks and kitchen help don’t get a lunch or dinner break like everyone else. I’ve worked in 20 different Restaurants over past few decades and NEVER have I seen a kitchen staff be able to take a 30 minute- hour meal break during their shift. It’s always been gobble your food down right there on the job, or maybe go sit in back dish area for 10 minutes to scarf your meal. It’s not a pretty career. Most restaurants won’t let you eat their food either, they charge you. You just don’t know unless you've worked in a restaurant.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Berk is 100% right. It has come to the point where I would expect not to get a break, while the waitstaff and others sit and eat and smoke. Keep in mind most restaurant owners just don't get it.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 667
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all in how well you screen and how you train them right out of the gates.

Don't give people the opportunity to be slackers or it will spoil the entire kitchen. It spreads like wildfire. Make an example out of the first person who starts undermining your operation. That is what sets standards. Trust me, there is always someone else ready to fill that job. It's Michigan for pete's sake!

Detroitchef

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TkShreve,
That's Ramesy's other show..... oh wait.. I thought you said "how well you scream and you train them..." My bad.

Seriously, most of these posters have it right, working in a professional kitchen isn't fun and games, no matter how easy Rachel Ray or Giada (drool...) make it seem. It's physically demanding, for shit pay, few bennies and usually you get screwed on breaks. I had a chef who actually screamed lounder one night "How DARE you duck then I throw these plates at you?" to some witless and luckless co worker. I am very tempted to re-use that psychosis myself, on almost a daily basis.

But, editing aside, you run across kitchens like Jack's now and then, and you really have to BE a prick to be the chef in joints like that. No one has a gun to people's heads to work there, and if they are a liability, they are leaving soon. If the chef makes himself horribly unpopular, by demanding the little dears show up on time, give a shit about themselves and the food, and adhere to standards, most people will come through. If they don't, you didn't want them there anyways.

Only in Europe, and in my own kitchen, did we close the doors and everyone, floor morons and kitchen scum alike, sit down and actually have a 'family meal' that was real food and not scraps thrown together prior to the garbage can.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Giada could cook me any way she wants to...

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 610
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^ ...and then some

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 308
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a huge Ramsay fan, mostly due to his passion for getting it right. My problem is with Fox and the bastardized version of "Kitchen Nightmares." In the original Channel 3 (BBC) version, he goes through similar rants, but then goes back to the restaurant 2 months later to see how they are doing. Many of them stick to what Gordon has laid out for them, but others revert back to their old ways and end up tanking or at the very least digging a new hole for themselves. I'd like to see him do the same with some of the places he has visited.

Fox screws up another one.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2170
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_

I worded that wrong. By expire, I really meant that the law would go through regular audits, to see what affect (if any) it is having on our society. Requests to re-vote on the law could also be significant. Additions or subtractions to the law could also be made at that time.

I'm not saying we should through the laws "out the window". Perfection through refinement is the goal.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

proposal: the next DetroitYes meetup is @ Jacks! Then y'all write up your opinions about it here so I can know whether to go there when during my next visit to D.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mallory, I think the special episode at the end of the season is devoted to returning like the last segment of the BBC version. He's also not as quick to anger on the BBC version but in his defense there are some real morons (especially last night's Sunrise Fiesta) out there.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9119
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am a huge Ramsay fan, mostly due to his passion for getting it right. My problem is with Fox and the bastardized version of "Kitchen Nightmares." In the original Channel 3 (BBC) version, he goes through similar rants, but then goes back to the restaurant 2 months later to see how they are doing. Many of them stick to what Gordon has laid out for them, but others revert back to their old ways and end up tanking or at the very least digging a new hole for themselves. I'd like to see him do the same with some of the places he has visited.

Fox screws up another one.

The very first episode of this season, he went back to all the restaurants from last season to check up.

Detroitchef

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on the BBC-A channel, he has a 'Kitchen Nightmare Revisited' where he goes back and checks up on them. I bet, since the US market pretty much copied the original format, they decided to do this as well.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.