Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Southeastern Jungaleers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Conkretepete
Username: Conkretepete

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everybody, I'm doing an article about unique mascots, and I would like to know the story behind this one. Also, give me a list of famous alums from Southeastern if you got one.

Lastly, if you have any other suggestions or unique mascots I should look up I'd love to hear them.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 855
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Jungaleer was the school newspaper. The football team was called the Jungaleers. Don't know what the team mascot was.

Conkretepete

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad buyamerican. What I meant by mascot wasn't so much the guy in the suit, but team name itself. What exactly is a Jungaleer and what's the story of that name being picked?

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the school's former DPS website: the Jungleer mascot owes its origins to the fact that, at time of Southeastern High's construction, the building was located very near Detroit's city limits...out in the sticks.
Hence the "jungle" connotation.

A Jungleer is akin to the character portrayed by Johnny Weissmuller (and others), as "Tarzan".

Buyamerican

Post Number: 856
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southeastern High School (built from 1917-20), is part of two-school campus (the other is Foch Intermediate) on the city's East Side. When the school was built, it was considered so far out in the wilds that the school's athletic teams took the nickname "Jungaleers."

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't elaborate, but that's not the reason I was told that the name Jungaleers came to be. I think you can read between the lines. I always thought it was very racist and inappropriate.

Conkretepete

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good stuff guys

Buyamerican

Post Number: 857
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grumpyoldlady...sorry, but there is no "hidden" meaning why Southeastern named it's newspaper the Jungaleer or the football team was called the Jungaleers.

The yearbook was the Aryan and I don't believe that the people who ran the school ever gave it a second thought.

Racist and inappropriate are not words to describe Southeastern OR the name of it's newspaper, football team, or yearbook. Please don't read things into it that never existed.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the World War I era, when Southeastern was built, Detroit newspapers had the habit of referring to the Tigers as the "Jungaleers." Tigers-Jungle, get it?
I have no idea if that had anything to do with SE taking their nickname, but I always thought it was an interesting coincidence.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3547
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok let me settle this....

The Jungaleers refers to a military unit that fights in the Jungle. This archaic military term is still evident in some weaponry and a few military units in other former British colonies.

It is derived from Junglee literaly "of the jungle"

http://www.ebladestore.com/bra nd/Junglee-Knives.html

Some one in DPS had a penchant for military history, as almost all the DPS schools on the East side and some one the west, have historical military mascot names:

The Denby Tars (Jack Tars, from the British Royal Navy)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J ack_Tar

The Finney Highlanders (Part of the Scottish Division of the British Army)

http://www.highlandermagazine. com/militaryhistory.html

The Kettering Pioneers (A pioneer is a Light infantry and engineering corp is the British Army)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R oyal_Pioneer_Corps

The Pershing Doughboys (A doughboy is a term for US infantry in WWI)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D oughboy

The Osborn Knights (The US Army academy at West Point are the Knights, Conquerors with mission and principle)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A rmy_Black_Knights_football

Martin Luther King Crusaders ( a crusader, being a holy warrior of the Catholic Church, Many US military units have this name)

www.187thahc.net

The Murray Wright Pilots ( a pilot being a term for one who steers a ship through tough waters, avaitors fly planes)

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Redford H. S. = Huskies

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Redford's nick was probably from before it was annexed into DPS.

Henry Ford continued with a military motif (so they say....) Trojans

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Awesome-Quad of Mackenzie, Cooley, Mumford and Redford is quite Animalistic; Stags, Cardinals, Mustangs and Huskies!

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 354
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice research Zulu_Warrior...but I always thought Kettering's nickname was the Pioneers because the school is named after Chas. Kettering, a "pioneer" of the auto industry.

The John J. Pershing Doughboy connection is obvious. So is the Denby Tars...Edwin Denby was Secretary of the Navy. As for the Wilbur Wright Pilots, well...

I think the King Crusaders refers to MLK Jr.'s "crusade" for justice and civil rights. The school was formerly Eastern High and the teams were nicknamed the Indians.

In the pre-politically correct days, Northern High's teams were the Eskimos, now they are the Jayhawks.

Clermont
Username: Clermont

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it seems osborn high school was named after laura f. osborn. does anyone know who she was?

Gary

Post Number: 355
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: Laura Osborn, I believe she was a member of the Detroit Board of Ed. at some point.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the story behind the Highland Park High School's nickname of the "Polar Bears"?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 832
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laura Osborn was a wealthy leader in Detroit's progressive community in the early 1900's. After her election to the Detroit Board of Education, she fought to maintain the right of female teachers to continue teaching after marriage.

The Laura Osborn House (a handsome, turreted red brick Victorian), IIRC, is on the north side of Lawrence, a couple of doors east of Second.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always assumed that it was like Northern's former nickname of Eskimos (or "Eskies" as they were more commonly called), an anchronism from the time the school was founded. Because Highland Park was at the far northern end of Detroit back in those days.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3548
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary

Murray-Wright is the name of the school and was home to the Naval Academy ROTC in Detroit; hence the Pilots.

Every one who uses the pioneer term is making the same mistake. The root of pioneer is foot soldier from the French language:

http://www.etymonline.com/inde x.php?term=pioneer

Gary

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu_Warrior...Murray-Wright High School is a combination of the old Wilbur Wright trade school and the new Phillip Murray High School. Wilbur Wright HS's nickname was the Pilots in reference to Wilbur Wright's development of the airplane. The school kept the nickname after Murray High was built in the 60s and the two schools merged together. BTW, the school's athletic teams were known as the "Pilots" LONG before there was an NJROTC program at Murray-Wright.

I don't doubt the origins of the word "pioneer", but nowadays in common usage, the word is usually in reference to someone who is an innovator, originator or who creates/discovers something new. The word may have originally had a military connotation, but in practical terms, it really has only the vaguest connection to the military these days. C.F. Kettering prioneered/invented the automatic ignition switch and leaded gasoline, among other things, that's why Charles F. Kettering HS has the nickname, "The Pioneers". It has nothing to do with the military in this case.

(Message edited by gary on November 07, 2008)

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3549
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps, and we may never know the true answers as to how the schools derived their nicknames, but it without question that there is a pattern here. It could be coincidental, a random occurance of selections of local school principals and teachers at that time. But a pattern did emerge, and change as it went from east to west, military-ish to animal.

The only outliers are Southwestern Prospectors, the Western Cowboys,

The Chadsey Explorers, I found some data on:

History
CHADSEY SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
CHADSEY HIGH SCHOOL (named for Charles E. Chadsey, Superintendent of Schools from 1912-1919) was built and organized as a school in 1931.
Since the school was not ready for occupancy on the opening day of the semester, sessions were held in the adjacent Munger Intermediate School after its classes had been dismissed each day.
On October 12,1931, the building was ready and the school began operation. The date of occupancy, Columbus Day, inspired the nicknames for the athletic tearps, the Explorers; the school newspaper, The Navigator; the school annual, The Compass; and the literary magazine, Discovery. At the suggestion of the late Edwin L. Miller, the school colors chosen were those under which Columbus sailed, the vermilion and gold of Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain.

Conkretepete

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the help everybody. Here's the article.

http://mobydickonsports.blogsp ot.com/

Conkretepete

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah does anyone know a famous alum from Southeastern?

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And here I thought the Pilots nickname was simply stolen from DeLaSalle...

why did they name a high school after Wilbur Wright and not his brother?

Gary

Post Number: 360
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conkretepete...here are a few SE alums who may be considered "famous".

Lt. George Cannon, '33, first US Marine to receive the Medal of Honor in WWII, he died on Dec. 7, 1941. Cannon Rec. Center (adjacent to Finney High) is named after him.

Bart Scott of the NFL Baltimore Ravens.

Don Lund '41, 3-time All Metro League, he went on to become a standout athlete and the longtime athletic director at U-M. He was the architect of the U-M athletic powerhouse of the '60s, 70s and 80s. His vision of combining college sports with marketing set the precedent for the money making athletic departments we see today in college sports.

Last, but not least is Ms. Rosalind Ashford, an original member of Martha & The Vandellas, and a member of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Doodles
Username: Doodles

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to my mom, SE class of 1958...

Dennis Cole, actor, married to Jaclyn Smith at one time. He brought her to a class reunion once. Maybe the 25th?

Is that famous enough? LOL!

Here's his website... http://www.denniscole.com/bio. htm

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 470
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southeastern @ Fordson in the Regional Final next Friday.

Go Tractors!

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought the jungaleers were the following of the insane clown posse?

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 331
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Close, but no cigar. Juggalos are the followers of ICP. I'll not comment on that, suffice to say that I am usually in close proximity with a few of those daily.

Conkretepete

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright folks, I kind of fixed up the post and added your info. Thanks for all your help, and the article is here.

http://mobydickonsports.blogsp ot.com/2008/11/cool-and-unique -mascots.html

I would like all of you to check out the blog and let me know what you think.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.