Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Anti-gay protest at GPS HS « Previous Next »
Archive through November 04, 2008Otter30 11-04-08  9:24 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2774
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sure why not. act up detroit.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7467
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... just give that female Grosse Pointe South "anger management challenged" lead foot Choirmaster a full tank of gas, and tell her that those Kansan protesters in the street say that "only sissies sing in Choirs".... :-)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4839
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'd like to see a truckful of the most flamboyantly stereotypically-gay men you could imagine - lots of beefcake, tiny speedos, village people outfits, oiled chests, drag, feather boas, lots of fabulousness, etc. - show up and and start dancing (mit disco soundtrack) real nice and close to the Westboro folks - show them some love! God hates fags, but fags love Westboro

Mike Moore tried that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Ra_fAYl4Th4

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soomka,

I was not aware of that. My high school deviancies headed towards other areas of interest.

That said, I have met a couple of my classmates years later that had taken that path...

I recommend ignoring the soldier hating, gay hating Kansans. Life's too short.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 923
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They probably won't even show up. They were suppose to come and protest in Toronto at a theatre production, and they never showed up.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He Irish_mafia, I see I finally drew you out. You know I can't resist taking shots at South whenever I can. We used to distribute the football betting slips at both North and South, so I spent a lot of time at South during school hours. The most unusual rally I ever saw at South was the week the hostages were taken in Iran and after school there was this strange kid named Peter who was on the back of a flatbed truck with a bullhorn. At first he was sticking to the anti-Iran script and everyone was cheering, then he lost it and started yelling things in what I think was German and it got a little strange.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish_mafia wrote: "My high school deviancies headed towards other areas of interest.

That said, I have met a couple of my classmates years later that had taken that path... "

So, according to you, Irish, being Gay is a Deviance? A Phase? A Path? Are you serious?

This sort of discussion about gays or being gay make me absolutely crazy. While I am very patient and tolerant of people not understanding gay issues, when people start talking about MY LIFE as having been a "Choice" or a "life STYLE", as if I simply woke up one day and said to myself, "Self, I feel like belonging to a group of people who are hated by large majorities of the world and risk being beaten or killed just for that fact. I want people to specifically aim laws to discriminate against me so that I no longer have as many rights as all of the 'normal' people."

Sorry, perhaps you didn't mean it that way. Perhaps you did, but I am calling you out on it!

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DD, I could get into a discussion with you here but it would deteriorate... so I apologize if I have offended you.

Soomka, I know exactly the event and the kid that you are talking about... he was Hitler youth in elementary school...a very unusual bird.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Irish. Accepted.

I appreciate your ability to reply like an adult. That is something lacking on this forum all too often. Agreeing to disagree, too.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ellen Bowen will be waiting with open arms and stay out of her way if she gets in her car.

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if they don't show, we'll be able to get tickets, enjoy the show and support the kids. Either way is ok with me. My personal preference would be for a low-key demonstration of support - I'd be more down for a louder, flashier display if this didn't involve high schoolers. Just my opinion, though.

Gistok

Post Number: 7469
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Miketoronto! How's it goin' eh?

Maybe the Canadian border guards didn't let them into Canada?

Thanks Servite76... I couldn't remember her name. Those Kansans would have met their match had Ellen Bowen been in her car while they were protesting! :-)

Marcnbyr
Username: Marcnbyr

Post Number: 692
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I realize that they may like the media attention. However, I'm inclined not to be silent because I want the students (and the adults supporting them) to know that there are some who support them enough to also be present."

If you want to support the students then go to the play. Protesting in response to other protesters will only serve to drive away people who want to support the school but aren't intending on making a social statement. The more of a circus this becomes, the more it takes away from the very thing you are claiming to support: these students and their play. As repulsive as these people may be, you're only validating their presence by acknowledging them. Go to the play, ignore the whack-jobs, and focus on the kids.

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is good that we don't all take the same approach to things - many methods of sending the same message is good. I disagree with Marcnbyr and Chuckjav, and respect their right to disagree with me as well. Neither of us is likely to change the other's mind in terms of methods. I happen to believe that public protest does have its benefits; they, at least in this particular case, do not. That's ok. Ruxy, keep me posted in terms of time, etc. and if its possible, I will be there.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 733
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some religious nuts from Kansas show up and everyone is up in arms...mounting counter protests and calling friends, yet in 2004 when it came to voting, 6 (I'll round down from the 64%) out of 10 people in Michigan demonstrated that they really don't differ much from Westboro's view of gays. And no one said a thing.

I find the Westboro Church to be disgusting, but at least they are honest.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 353
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my alma mater as well. I'll be interested to see how welcoming the police force is to these folks.

Lafayette
Username: Lafayette

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 649
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.godhatesshrimp.com/

Cycledetroit
Username: Cycledetroit

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was reading about him this morning.. here is some info..

Many of Westboro's pickets revolve around the play The Laramie Project; Phelps says he consistently sends his followers across the country to picket every performance he finds out about. The play documents the reaction of the people of Laramie, Wyoming, to the murder of Matthew Shepard.

Phelps is a character in the play and is portrayed negatively. When the play was made into a movie by HBO, (The Laramie Project), Phelps and the WBC traveled to New York City to picket the HBO home offices with signs reading "United You'll Fall."
“ The Laramie Project is a tawdry bit of banal fag melodrama – sordid, cheap, unaffecting, drearily predictable – without the least artistic or literary merit or redeeming social value. Indeed, its only purpose is to promote sinful, soul-damning sodomy by playing on the sick, maudlin emotions of doomed, godless America and thereby to recruit ill-bred teenagers to lives of sin, shame, disease, death and hell.”

Counter protests are generally organized to provide an opposing viewpoint at sites that Westboro Baptist pickets. In some cases counter protesters have lined up and turned their backs on the Westboro Baptist pickets or encircled them in a ring, explaining that they want to symbolically shield the community from the protest.

Two days after the September 11th attacks, a 19-year old man named Jared Dailey stood on the street corner facing the church holding up a plywood sign that said "Not today Fred." Within two days, 86 people joined him, waving American flags and anti-hate signs. Since then, "Not today Fred" has become a commonly used motto for counter protests against Phelps.

Gistok

Post Number: 7475
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Some religious nuts from Kansas show up and everyone is up in arms...mounting counter protests and calling friends, yet in 2004 when it came to voting, 6 (I'll round down from the 64%) out of 10 people in Michigan demonstrated that they really don't differ much from Westboro's view of gays. And no one said a thing.

I find the Westboro Church to be disgusting, but at least they are honest.

Higgs? What the hell are you talking about? This is DetroitYES... not the ENTIRE STATE OF MICHIGAN!!

You're preaching to the wrong choir!

Cycledetroit

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to remind everyone that this is tomorrow.

Who is going?

Lefty2

Post Number: 2943
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

drive by water balloons should cool them off a little :-)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there. I really can't avoid it even if I wanted to. :-)

Cycledetroit

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what time they are planning on protesting? One site says 2:30 , one says 6:45.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My son is a student at South. He thought throwing eggs at the kooks might be a nice idea but I discouraged it.

The director of the play was on John Prost's show on GP cable and said that the controversy has increased ticket sales.

Good luck all. Don't get in trouble.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3569
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"drive by water balloons should cool them off a little :-)"

Thats assault.

Just yell at them.

Cycledetroit

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2008811190420

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 431
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Play starts at 7:30

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craggy, we both went to the same HS?

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So ... being Gay is a Deviance?

Yes, it is. That doesn't mean it's wrong, but it's certainly not normal behavior.

The natural order of things is for males and females to be attracted to each other in order to procreate their respective species, whether we're talking about dogs, cats or humans. Sorry to be politically incorrect, but that's just the way the world operates.

Nobody is saying being gay is immoral, or anything like that. And those people from Kansas are reprehensible morons.

But you asked whether being gay means devianace...and, according to the textbook definition of "deviation" then, yes, being gay indeed means being a deviate.

Legodude
Username: Legodude

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Duke_sims...
Care to explain your reasoning any more? How do you know what normal behavior is?

I can't understand how it is anything other than a perfectly normal part of the human experience. By any reasonable metric that I can think of, and even any unreasonable metric I can think of, it is normal.

You talk about "natural order" and perpetuating species. Would you call a married couple who does not have children "deviant?" For that matter, is any human who does not bear children deviant?

You also talk about other species... some monkeys and dolphins have gay sex, are they deviant or normal? Really though, why does it matter what non-human species do?

Most living this in this world split by binary fission, a mechanism no human that I know of can accomplish. Some of my pet fish live in harems, is that what we should be doing? Or my clownfish where they can switch gender as the need arises? Worker ants don't get to procreate, what about them?

I guess if gays really are different from the norm, then what you said is perfectly correct and I wouldn't argue. I'm just curious as to how the heck you know what the norm is and can you tell me the rest of it.
mike

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 490
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Normal is the setting on the washing machine! That's a normal as it gets!!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 804
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are pictures of the protesters/ protester protesters. These people are super disturbing, singing "God Hates America" instead of "God Bless America" and calling people faggots and whores :-(
http://s61.photobucket.com/alb ums/h48/alley_sin/protest/

(Message edited by alley on November 21, 2008)

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 383
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three old ladies with signs!
Quite the protest. Not news, but sold tickets.

Lefty2

Post Number: 2948
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think duke_sims is referring to a statistical variance. A nominal difference of the correlation coefficient between general variances of different substrates of normal behavior and generally accepted norms.
In other words a high beta based on normal sexual variances.

Lefty2

Post Number: 2950
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the pics and can only laugh at these idiots.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 652
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duke Sims hit lefthanded--what kind of "normal" is that?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.