Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Russell Bazaar « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was driving along I-75 when I noticed the signs, did a google search, and was amazed. Am I the only person who didn't know about this place? Could this really happen in many of Detroit's neglected spaces? [Last I checked this building was a paint ball arena. (I now recall that the paint ball place was on Mt. Elliot near Hamtramck.])

(Message edited by peterhuntprincess on November 02, 2008)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The paintball arena that you are thinking of was in Packard, I believe. Was it called "Splat Ball City" or something like that?

Russell has been Artists studios for a while now, though the Russell Bazaar is a new thing. Did you happen to check it out? I haven't been yet.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 630
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.ricdetroit.org/blog /?p=102

Haven't been yet either, but I hear it's an interesting mix of Gilbraltar-ish wares and artist booths.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 576
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now that they've been open for around a month or two, does anyone know how business is doing at the Bazzar?

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't have a chance to check it out today. After noticing the advertisements downtown and checking out the website I definitely will be there next weekend!

Savorynotsweet
Username: Savorynotsweet

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went with a friend on Saturday and was amazed by the Russell Bazaar. It's similar to Gibraltar in that you're dealing with a lot of smaller, independent, businesses, some of which might only exist on weekends at the Russell. Different than Gibraltar in that you don't have to pay for parking and the crowd/events/businesses have a much more diverse feel to them. There was a poetry slam going on the "main event" area -- even if you didn't pay for admission, everybody at the Bazaar could hear what was going on over the PA.....made for some great background listening, much better than Muzak.

The part I enjoyed the most were the proprietors. Every booth "owner" went out of their way to enjoy some conversation and gave good customer service even if we weren't buying. Almost every vendor encouraged us to come back to the Bazaar. One vendor (I made a purchase at this booth) gave us coupons for free slices of Nikki's pizza in the Food Court even though we said we had dinner plans that day -- they told us the coupons don't expire for awhile and to please come back and enjoy. You could spend no money and have fun looking at stuff and just enjoying the people.

Lots of clothing...everything from "designer" apparel to stunning handmade knits to Obama t-shirts. I got excellent detals on a shirt and earrings...separate vendors, but each unlike anything I could find at traditional stores. Maybe it just seemed like lots of clothes because that's where my attention usually wanders. Some home goods, candles/incense, electronics, a full-on barber shop and salon, legit massage parlor. The inside of the place looks great, unbelievably clean, bright, and easy to navigate. I didn't see a lot of artists -- it seemed mostly retail when I was there -- but maybe I missed something and you guys can set me straight. There were some empty retail spaces, so hopefully the merchants at the Bazaar will continue to grow.

I had a great time and plan on going back this weekend. I highly encourage everyone to check it out -- you've literally got nothing to lose.

(Message edited by savorynotsweet on November 03, 2008)

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i agree with Savorynotsweet. it will hopefully continue to grow. there are many empty spaces ready. the owner also owns many of the loft projects that have gone up in the city and a gentleman's club downtown. they had a tour a couple of weeks before the grand opening. they have a lot of plans for the space. the bazaar has also been on the news a few times during the past 3 weeks.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might make a trip down there this weekend. I've been hearing and reading good things about it. How many floors does it occupy?

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 632
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like that old place on the east side, The Trading Post.

Lugotown

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

right now there are vendors on one floor and not the entire floor. but, they have plans for the rest of the space. it would be great to see it now so that you have seen the beginnings of it and can see it growing and changing. i will go back but they don't have a lot of things that interest me yet. it was just exciting to see something like this happening in the city.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I ask; do you guys plan on shopping there for yourselves in the future?

Does anyone plan on doing any Christmas shopping/browsing at the Bazaar?

When we were there, we were very surprised how many children were there. Was that the case when you went?

Lugotown

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i actually ended buying 2 things right before leaving that day. yes, i will support the businesses there. i truly believe that in order to give businesses a chance, i have to support them. especially when they're in detroit. i caught another news report last week and found another business there that i didn't check out that i plan to.

i can really see this becoming a spot for holiday shopping. there were a lot of kids and families there when i went.

Savorynotsweet
Username: Savorynotsweet

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love supporting small independent businesses and having a bunch of them under one roof appeals to me as a consumer. I could see shopping for others, depending on the taste of the other, at least for small gifts. I was thinking that the wholesaler booth would be a good place to visit if I ever needed to buy gifts or favors in bulk.

There were kids there when we went, but it was late afternoon. I wasn't expecting to see kids, but their presence didn't seem inappropriate. My friend and I each commented that it would be a good idea for the Bazaar to have something (play area or dedicated vendors, events) directed at the kids at least for certain hours

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any antiques or collectibles there?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2401
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just be sure to use the newly paved parking lot on the south side of the building, where the main entrance is otherwise you might get towed

Detroitderek
Username: Detroitderek

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't see any antique dealers when I went there. I may have gone too early ( a month or so back ) as the resaurants hadn't even opened yet.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didnt see any this past Saturday either.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't miss the adult toy and beany baby vendor! (as in, both being sold in the same booth).

buncha junk up in there, and most of the tenants who've been at the russell for years have not found it to be all that great a neighbor

Ashdetroit
Username: Ashdetroit

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring a sweater when you go, the Russell doesn't always pay their heating bill :-)

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that Gravity.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 274
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great shopping, even though I HATE shopping. A more diverse crowd than the malls, and some interesting vendors. I certainly hope that the Russell Bazaar is successful. Nice to see something positive arise in that area.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bobl

Nice to see something positive arise in that area.

I guess all that has been happening for years and years at RIC is not positive???

Could have fooled me.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 611
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't really put together, but that's to be expected for a place that's just opening up in the middle of a warehouse district. As for the selection.... think Grand River/Greenfield.

1happycamper
Username: 1happycamper

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!!! I can't believe this place. I stopped in there this past weekend and was amazed by how big and exciting this place is. They had just opened a new section with a couple of hundred new vendors. I wasz especially impressed with the original artwork of all types that they have on display and for sale. In talking with the new Art Director, Laura, she said that there will be regular art exhibition events and that they are working on completing another section of the bazaar which will house a permanent art gallery and meeting hall. I guess it will be called Russell Gallery. It was fun, they had refreshments, live bands and many of the artists there to talk with.

Then to top it all off, there are hundreds of mini-stores within the Russell Bazaar. I was in Hong Kong earlier this year and this place reminds me of some of the shopping bazaars that I went into there. There is a wide diversity of things to see and buy. Clothing of all types, jewelry, art, household goods, sit down food court, shoes, hair stylists, tatoo booths, woman's apparel, unique crafts and handmade products, music CD/DVD's, electronic toys and tools, ...you name it and it's probably in there, PLUS live entertainment onthe 2 stages that they have.

This was as much fun as my trips to Eastern Market...and it's all INDOORS!!! Definitely worth checking out. This is a growing and fun place for retail shopping and art appreciation inside Detroit!!!!

Here is a link to their website. http://russellbazaar.com/

JT

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so, happycamper, what exactly do you do for mr. kellafinos?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that post is funny, it's probably Dennis himself

1happycamper

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I'm sorry..I thought that this was the DetroitYES website...not some childish place to make fun of people who are posting positive things about what they have seen and heard.

No, I do not work for a Mr Kellafinos... I assume that he is the owner of the Russell Bazaar? If so, then my congratulations and hats off to him for actually doing something positive and meaningful inside of Detroit.

Detroit is really a beautiful sleeping giant and I admire people who have the vision to see good things.

JT

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dude your first post is right out of a marketing pamphlet. If that is the way you normally talk, then you should look into a career in advertising

1happycamper

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I have had about 30 plus years of marketing and sales...so yes I do tend to truly speak that way...is there any other way? :-)

JT

1happycamper

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yes.... and yes. I did intend to pump up the Russell Bazaar. I think it's a fantastic concept and to see it is actually in place and being done...rather than just talked about makes it IMHO a rare gem that can become a nucleus for further growth and confidence in making good things happen in Detroit.

I grew up in this city and would love to see to rise to new heights. Maybe I am a dreamer...but then isn't that what we need? People who dream, and try to make changes and improvements. People that are just maybe, a bit too focused, to hear the others that say "it can't be done" ...that is how new creative projects and developments actually happen.

So there it is... I'm a cheerleader and when I see something positve...I will talk it up and maybe it will sound like a brochure..that's fine with me as long as it inspires others to support it or to try their own dream and see if it can fly.

I know where I will be doing my shopping this year. It will be at the Russell Bazaar, supporting independently owned business's that are offering their retail products right in the heart of this fine city, Detroit!

JT

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 293
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need more cheerleaders....and more to cheer about.

1happycamper

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobl... I definitely agree about needing more to cheer about and to cheer what we do have.

There is actually a lot of good in the city that goes unnoticed and there is also a lot of irrational and unsupported thoughts about Detroit.

One major "irrational thought" that comes to mind is that Detroit is supposedly unsafe and that only the suburbs are safe.

Well my answer to that is...If you are in Birmingham...do not walk alone inside the parking structures..there have been quite a few snatch and grab robberies going on for a while now.

Southfield's crime rate has been rising and is out of control.

Haven't read about too many office murders happening inside Detroit in a few years...can the suburbs make that statement?

Crime is everywhere, some places just have a worse reputation than others..or more importantly their local media DOES NOT report or make banner headlines over it like they do if it happens within the city limits of Detroit.

Oh well...sorry about talking on a negative subject, but I had to say what I said...

Probably should have started a new thread with this but what the heck...

JT

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.