Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Globe Trading Company / Detroit Dry Dock « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the status of the renovation of the Globe Trading Company into lofts?

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 565
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't there supposed to be a Welcome Center for Tri-centennial park or the Detroit Riverwalk or something on the ground floor?

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 605
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My neighbor owns that building!

Guideboat
Username: Guideboat

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it gets incorporated into Centennial Park. I think it is a great remaining vestige of a long gone Detroit industry.

My little pipe dream for the Detroit Dry Dock building is to move the Dossin Museum there. The open space inside could hold have a full scale mock -up of a Great Lakes sailing ship. The remaining Columbia Bob-Lo boat could be floated in (or high and dry in) the remaining dry dock. It would be nice to have it by the place that outfitted the steamer in the first place.

Yeah, I know know, dream on, but it would be cool.

Dieseldog
Username: Dieseldog

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that they will have enough resources to do something with Globe Trading. A dock for the riverboat would be cool. Maybe a passenger dock?!? The building has a lot of history and potential. A lot of work to be done both inside and out. With the lack of funding in these rough economic times I myself am skeptical of of any comeback. I do like the idea of the Dossin relocation. It only seems right given the history of the Great Lakes and Henry Ford.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777, that's really kewl. That has to be one of my favorite "ruins" in Detroit.

It's also one of only a handful that I have actually been in (building tour several years ago). Simply amazing!

Yes, has any progress been made?

French777

Post Number: 606
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They Also own the Grienelle Lofts In Corktown and with the economy going sour sales have been slower so they can't really invest another million untill more lofts are sold

Dtctygrl

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love the idea of a Great Lakes & Henry Ford Museum - given the history of the building. Hope that something good materializes with the Globe.

Hannah
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything happening under current ownership is unlikely. If you look close enough, you will find the ex mayor friend Bobby with his tentacles wrapped around it. Everyone sells out for a price.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11881
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777, your neighbor is a deadbeat developer who doesn't pay his contractors.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have something to back that up ol' sporto?

Dtctygrl

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777, if you ever have updates on the project, please post.

French777

Post Number: 607
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will !! There was some story about my neighbors Husband and Bobby Furgeson but I didn't get all the details... Just that He and Bobby Do NOT get along

Hannah
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what happens when you sell your soul . . . of course the puppet doesn't get along with the puppeteer, the puppet can no longer act on their own.

Dieseldog
Username: Dieseldog

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hannah are you proposing to turn Globe into the worlds largest puppet theater ! Hey why not?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11886
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do you have something to back that up ol' sporto?

It's public record. There are more than a few liens on the project due to non-payment.

Perhaps French777 should do some contract work for his neighbor on the Globe project, then we'll see if his enthusiasm remains the same.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7494
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe in another year or so when French777 is out of high school... He's one of DYES's youngest and most supportive members who is growing up in distant Rochester Hills.

Maybe his support of the city comes off a bit naive, but due to his age and lack of experience in Detroit matters, let's cut him some slack... since most suburban kids his age don't give a rats ass about Detroit.

We could use more caring young folks like French777 in metro Detroit! :-)

Dtctygrl

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thankful whenever young people take an interest in history and want to invest in their community. I agree Gistok, we need young people who care. French777, my hat is off to you.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 531
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey! I am 17 and I have been on here since I was 14. HAHA!

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 532
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And urbanplanet since I was 13. I have been looking at this site since I was 11. The ol' ruins of Detroit. I have always loved the city and its people.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.